Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds Zamnesia
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineXOCHI
Master
Male User Gallery

Long term storage of mushrooms?
    #702322 - 06/26/02 05:45 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I did go to the faq section.And if dried with damprid.It did say they shoud be cracker
dry.But i was wondering if they were left in the container how long would they be good
until they begin to degrade.If they were kept in a dark cool place.2-3 months????

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblepsyconaut
NASA trainedpsychonaut
Loc: The Great White North
Re: Long term storage of mushrooms? [Re: XOCHI] * 1
    #702359 - 06/26/02 06:00 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Well dried, you should be good for at least a few years. There have been reports of psilocybin being found in 100+ year old mushrooms.

Most of the oxidation that causes psilocybin to break down will occur during the initial drying.

Make sure they're bone dry. Leave a sachet of dessicant such as silca gel in the container to absorb any moisture present in air. Alternatively, having access to a vacuum packing machine is fun ;-)

-psyconaut

--------------------
It may look like a button mushroom right now, but wait until you see how it grows!

OfflineRobertoCreator
Seeker
Male
Loc: Rockies
Re: Long term storage of mushrooms? [Re: psyconaut]
    #27709235 - 03/26/22 09:05 AM (2 years, 3 days ago)

Thanks for the helpful info!! Based on what I had seen on the forum I initially thought the storage window was much shorter.

InvisibleGoatrider
Rhythm Guitarist
Male

Loc: Germany Flag
Re: Long term storage of mushrooms? [Re: RobertoCreator] * 2
    #27709366 - 03/26/22 10:56 AM (2 years, 3 days ago)

19 years, 8 months ago

:tweak:

--------------------

InvisibleElf_on_a_Log
Elf

Loc: On a log
Re: Long term storage of mushrooms? [Re: Goatrider]
    #27709718 - 03/26/22 05:27 PM (2 years, 3 days ago)

If you store them in a sealed mason jar they'll keep indefinitely with no potency loss.  If you store them in a ziplock bag the potency will slowly decrease as the years go by.  Cubes I've stored in a ziplock bag that were initially very potent were 100% bunk 4-5 years later.  I believe air exchange is what decreases the potency.  Ziplock bags have air exchange even when sealed, while mason jars do not.

--------------------
"I was strolling through the woods one day when I came upon an elf sitting on a log.  He offered me a strange-looking mushroom to eat.  As soon as I ate it, I realized that I was the elf on the log and that my human life had been but a dream."
- Elf_on_a_Log

LAGM 2.022 Grow Log

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy & Alien UFOs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Long term storage of mushrooms? [Re: psyconaut] * 1
    #27709734 - 03/26/22 05:44 PM (2 years, 3 days ago)

Quote:

psyconaut said:
Well dried, you should be good for at least a few years. There have been reports of psilocybin being found in 100+ year old mushrooms.

Most of the oxidation that causes psilocybin to break down will occur during the initial drying.

Make sure they're bone dry. Leave a sachet of desiccant such as silica gel in the container to absorb any moisture present in air. Alternatively, having access to a vacuum packing machine is fun ;-)

-psyconaut 

Even after 19 years, this information is still relevant. :cool2:

Like properly-dried shrooms, this post has stood the test of Time :shroomeryhead:

--------------------
"What you must understand is that your physical dimension affects everyone in the higher dimensions as well. All things are interconnected. All things are One. Therefore, if one dimension is broken or out of balance, then all other dimensions will experience repercussions." - Pleiadian Prophecy 2020 The New Golden Age by James Carwin

PROJECT BLUE BOOK ANALYSIS! (312 pages!) | Psychedelics & UFOs | Ready to Contact UFOs? | The Source on Mushrooms:shroomeryhead:| Trippy Gematrix | Dj TeknoLogical | Fentanyl Test Kits R.I.P. Big Worm :tombstone: || The Start of the Ascension Process was 2020. Welcome to the Next Great Era of Earth ๐ŸŒŽ๐ŸŒ๐ŸŒ                                                         
:sunny::bliss::mushroom2: Oregon Eclipse Festival 2017 :: Aug 19th - 21st :: Pure Paradise :mushroom2::bliss::sunny: :rainbowdrink: Very Effective LSA Extraction Tek :rainbowdrink: | ๐Ÿ’ง Advanced Cold Water LSA Extraction Method ๐Ÿ’ง | :cacti::bongload: Mescajuana - Mescaline with Marijuana | DMT Dab Bongs | UFO Technology! :shpongle:Shpongle:shpongle:   

OfflineRotnpins
๐Ÿคฎ Rotten-Pins ๐Ÿ„
Male User Gallery

Loc: in (front of) the hood
Re: Long term storage of mushrooms? [Re: LogicaL Chaos] * 1
    #27709742 - 03/26/22 05:53 PM (2 years, 3 days ago)

Quote:

LogicaL Chaos said:
Quote:

psyconaut said:

Make sure they're bone dry. Leave a sachet of desiccant such as silica gel in the container to absorb any moisture present in air. Alternatively, having access to a vacuum packing machine is fun ;-)

-psyconaut 

Even after 19 years, this information is still relevant. :cool2:

Definitely! I thought it was only like a year or 2. I'm kinda glad this got bumped.

:bumpthread:  :bump2:  :fistbump:

OfflineB Traven
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Central Megalopolis
Re: Long term storage of mushrooms? [Re: Rotnpins] * 1
    #27709975 - 03/26/22 10:25 PM (2 years, 3 days ago)

Here's the thing, though: I've read and heard a lot about this topic, and most of it makes sense and tracks with my own personal experience.

But, like, how many people have actually held onto fully dehydrated fruit for longer timeframes? And not just held onto them, but kept them in reasonably stable conditions and then come back years later to test them?

I personally can't think of a single case in my life where I can claim that I had fruits from a reliable custody chain that were any older than a year or two at most. And all of those probably involved long residence times in a freezer, for better or worse.

So, here in this 19-year-old thread, I'm asking: who's got anecdotes involving 5-year-old fruits? 10? 15? Who's got the record, and is willing to go on-record with it?

--------------------
Beware of advice- even this.

OfflineVibetyme
Smoke 1
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida
Re: Long term storage of mushrooms? [Re: B Traven]
    #27709995 - 03/26/22 10:53 PM (2 years, 3 days ago)

I'm pretty sure it was Forrester who had 10yr old fruits stored in a mason jar who reported the fruits were still super potent.

No fancy storage method.

I can't remember exactly where I read this.  Damn weed! Worth it though!

Edit:
Found the thread I read that in.
Check it

Edited by Vibetyme (03/26/22 11:01 PM)

OfflineSingularFusion
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Long term storage of mushrooms? [Re: Vibetyme] * 1
    #27710030 - 03/27/22 12:25 AM (2 years, 3 days ago)

but I mean having a fucking pyramid shrine of mason jars is a little bit harder to hide than a bunch of plastic bags right... For a small stash a jar is fine but if you want to keep lots of back catalogue it's gonna become silly pretty quickly with jars

for practical considerations, is vacuum plastic with silicate beads still acceptable for long term? I guess they should be checked and the silica restored maybe like once a year or whatever to keep everything optimally dry?

how long is everyone keeping them anyway? I think longest I have currently are about 16 months or so and are crisp and fresh like the day they were dehydrated. I would think by looking at them that they would remain in this state pretty much indefinitely, but I am surely gonna keep some back in this way for some years for science purposes

--------------------
๐Ÿ…ƒ ๐Ÿ„ด ๐Ÿ„ฐ ๐Ÿ„ผ    ๐Ÿ„ฒ ๐Ÿ„ป ๐Ÿ„ธ ๐Ÿ„ฝ ๐Ÿ„ถ ๐Ÿ…† ๐Ÿ… ๐Ÿ„ฐ ๐Ÿ„ฟ

Offlinenektar61S
Into SporePlay
Female Unread Journal User Gallery

Loc: Cube Satellite
Re: Long term storage of mushrooms? [Re: SingularFusion] * 1
    #27751449 - 04/26/22 12:32 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Nef said:
how long is everyone keeping them anyway? I think longest I have currently are about 16 months or so and are crisp and fresh like the day they were dehydrated. I would think by looking at them that they would remain in this state pretty much indefinitely, but I am surely gonna keep some back in this way for some years for science purposes

I'm vacuum sealing some strong clones into 2 gram packs and plan to do one every 6 months and report the results on this thread. A lot of good posts with people's feedback on the topic too:
Vacuum packing mushrooms / long term storage / discussion / experiments

--------------------
-NEW? Start here.

Invisible6Trypp9
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth
Re: Long term storage of mushrooms? [Re: nektar61] * 1
    #27751480 - 04/26/22 01:22 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

I have some from 2019 that were cracker dry and then stored in half pint Mason jars with desiccant packs. Just had some last week and I don't think they have lost much potency,if any, they definitely still work well.

OfflineSingularFusion
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Re: Long term storage of mushrooms? [Re: nektar61] * 1
    #27751495 - 04/26/22 02:04 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

nice nektar I'll pop over and have a look, cheers for the link :rockon:

--------------------
๐Ÿ…ƒ ๐Ÿ„ด ๐Ÿ„ฐ ๐Ÿ„ผ    ๐Ÿ„ฒ ๐Ÿ„ป ๐Ÿ„ธ ๐Ÿ„ฝ ๐Ÿ„ถ ๐Ÿ…† ๐Ÿ… ๐Ÿ„ฐ ๐Ÿ„ฟ

InvisibleAshtray161
SettledNomad
Other

Loc: Rugby, England
Re: Long term storage of mushrooms? [Re: SingularFusion]
    #27751558 - 04/26/22 05:08 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Yall realize this thread is 20 years old right? Lol

--------------------
(You Know What Time It Is)
Major Issues in the Psychedelic Movement: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/27677086:elmo:
"You never have to prove the fool a fool, just let them speak."
Please, be an adult. Get vaccinated. Dont use psychedelics as an excuse. Dont come at me with some hippy dippy nonsense, GO GET VACCINATED.
Be Gay, Do Crime 161 1312

OfflineBlueAndOrange
Psychedelic success storyโ€ฆ
Male User Gallery

Re: Long term storage of mushrooms? [Re: Ashtray161] * 1
    #27752212 - 04/26/22 02:10 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Sure but finding up to date info on long term storage has been a challenge for me. Iโ€™m glad to see this pop back up.

Iโ€™m growing for personal consumption only, but really love the hobby, so Iโ€™m expecting to have a lot more mushrooms than I can handle in a very short period of time.

Things I have read about on this site:
Freezing
Drying
Vacuum sealing
Desiccant packs
Oxygen adsorbers
Dehydrating
Mason jars
Making tea and freezing into cubes

I understand you donโ€™t want to freeze/thaw/refreeze.

So this is what I already have in the house, and Iโ€™ll share my goals/desired outcomes.

I already have a 10 rack dehydrator, food saver vacuum sealer, lab grade freezer that goes to -13f, whole house power backup to protect the freezer, plenty of mason jars, dedicated coffee grinder, 4 sizes of capsule machines airtight/leakproof containers for making and storing baby food, desiccant packs.

My ideal scenario would be to dry/grind/capsule my harvests, and store them in the baby food containers (with a desiccant pack?) and throw them in the lab freezer.

Any thoughts about this plan? Overkill? Iโ€™m hoping to get my supplies lasting at least a decade.

Thanks for any insight. Or pointers to more up to date options.

InvisibleAshtray161
SettledNomad
Other

Re: Long term storage of mushrooms? [Re: BlueAndOrange]
    #27752217 - 04/26/22 02:13 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

I wouldnt grind them up until usage. The more surface area the more oxidation possible.
I think you're waaay overthinking it.
I store mine cracker dried straight from the dehydrator into air tight containers, usually mason jars, with desiccant packs stored away from light and heat. Light breaks down psilocybin and is often overlooked, be sure you're storing in a dark, cool place. I wouldnt freeze them personally.

Ive had some mush stord for over 9 months in this method at room temp and did some the other night. They're practically as potent as the day I put them in there. Probably will be for years if stored properly.

I've personally seen this question answered half a dozen times in my short time on the site so next time please try using the search function and set it so you only see threads newer than 3 or 5 years old, theres no reason to bump a 20 year thread for this simple of a question.

--------------------
Major Issues in the Psychedelic Movement: https://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/27677086:elmo:
Please, be an adult. Get vaccinated. Dont use psychedelics as an excuse. Dont come at me with some hippy dippy nonsense, GO GET VACCINATED.

Offlinenektar61S
Into SporePlay
Female Unread Journal User Gallery

Loc: Cube Satellite
    #27752856 - 04/27/22 01:43 AM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Ashtray161 said:

Too bad the person who started this thread didn't store shrooms using all the different methods and open and eat them this year.

--------------------
-NEW? Start here.

OfflineLogicaL ChaosM
Ascension Energy & Alien UFOs
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: The Inexpressible... Flag
Trusted Cultivator
    #27754026 - 04/27/22 08:21 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Ashtray161 said:

Just 2 more months, then its Anniversary time! :awedance:

InvisibleAshtray161
SettledNomad
Other

Re: Long term storage of mushrooms? [Re: LogicaL Chaos] * 1
    #27754061 - 04/27/22 08:33 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Quote:

LogicaL Chaos said:
Quote:

Ashtray161 said:

:kittylaugh:

Itd be kinda cool if OP popped up for it

--------------------

OfflineRotnpins
๐Ÿคฎ Rotten-Pins ๐Ÿ„
Male User Gallery

Loc: in (front of) the hood
Re: Long term storage of mushrooms? [Re: Ashtray161] * 2
    #27754248 - 04/27/22 09:42 PM (1 year, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Ashtray161 said:
Quote:

LogicaL Chaos said:
Quote:

Ashtray161 said:

:kittylaugh:

Itd be kinda cool if OP popped up for it

Especially if he broke out some 20 year old mushrooms he's been storing the whole time. :msmummy:

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Capsules   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds