Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinesoulsizzle
nobody f**kswith The Jesus

Re: Green every time what am I doing wrong? phenomenon? [Re: GoodbyeOrb]
    #7001588 - 06/02/07 10:33 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

GoodbyeOrb said:
FAE BTW = Fresh Air Exchange. Same thing as gas exchange.

Actually, no.

Fresh Air Exchange is just that. FAE is the complete replacement of air by new, fresh air.

Gas exchange is allowing a build-up of excess gases to escape. These gases are a natural product of the mushrooms growing processes, especially spawn-runs.

--------------------

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineFingerfoods
Pale Blue Dot
Male

Re: Green every time what am I doing wrong? phenomenon? [Re: soulsizzle]
    #7001612 - 06/02/07 10:37 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Hahaha monomenon! but seriously can anyone tell me how to make sure the spawn is good before using it or is just like a hope for the best kinda thing?

--------------------
http://palebluedot.ytmnd.com/ watch this shrooming and youll never think the same about the world agian.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Green every time what am I doing wrong? phenomenon? [Re: Fingerfoods]
    #7001738 - 06/02/07 11:18 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

You make sure what you inoculate the grains with is good first. All work must be done in a glovebox or in front of a laminar flow hood. There is no part of sterile procedure that can be skipped. I rarely ever inoculate grains without looking at the culture under the microscope first to ensure it's free of bacteria and/or molds. On agar, it's easy to see both, so there's really no excuse for inoculating grains with a contaminated culture. Once inoculated, if the grains were properly sterilized, and the lid has a proper filter, there's little that can go wrong.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineFingerfoods
Pale Blue Dot
Male

Re: Green every time what am I doing wrong? phenomenon? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7001914 - 06/03/07 12:11 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

I am guessing it must have been the liquid culture I used. It looked OK to me when I used it but there must have been something. I made the culture in the same manner I did all my other work. I ll try doing it in a glove box this time.

--------------------
http://palebluedot.ytmnd.com/ watch this shrooming and youll never think the same about the world agian.

Invisibletiefox
Stranger

#7012893 - 06/05/07 06:07 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Glad to hear from everyone. RR mentioned that he thinks it is bad spawn it is possible. Here is a pic of a non cased colonized coir substrate that was going to be fruited w/o a casing. This is before any flush, and here is a pic of green ALREDY. WHAT THE FUC KAY?

Edited by tiefox (06/05/07 06:14 PM)

OfflineFingerfoods
Pale Blue Dot
Male

Re: Green every time what am I doing wrong? phenomenon? [Re: tiefox]
    #7012944 - 06/05/07 06:20 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

The pic above all came from the same LC but is there anything we can do to save this casing? We have tried cutting out the green and respawning it to more substrate and it just turned green again. RR mentioned it must be the spawn but it appeared flawless, white, and smelled of fresh mushrooms when I spawned it, so its frusturating not knowning tell last step that I screwed up months ago. So if it is the LC what are some key signs I need to look for when inspecting for contaminates?

--------------------

OfflineFingerfoods
Pale Blue Dot
Male

#7013099 - 06/05/07 07:14 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

bump I would really like to know these answers.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #7013494 - 06/05/07 08:50 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

I don't know what to tell you other than what I said above. Use your glovebox on the next batch and fruit the cakes as cakes, rather than spawning to bulk or casing. Do a dunk and roll when you birth and be sure to wash off the verm barrier under running water. That's the part that will be harboring any contaminants that were picked up during colonization.

As said above, any time I've seen contaminants on or before first flush, they came from the spawn. As an experiment, I saved back two jars of peat/verm casing that I made several months ago when doing the casing tek for my DVD. They have no lids or filters, only a foil covering. There is still no mold growing in them after all this time. Make sure you're pasteurizing your casing material. If you sterilize or use a microwave, there's a chance it won't survive to first flush, but if you properly pasteurize and it still molds, then the mold came from your spawn.
RR

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #7013522 - 06/05/07 08:57 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Edit to the above. I just read again your first post in this thread. You used boiling water. That kills off the beneficial bacteria in the coir that keeps it alive, thus protecting it from molds. That amounts to sterilization, not pasteurization. You want to hydrate the coir to field capacity, and then pasteurize at 140F to 160F for an hour, to an hour and a half, but not longer. Try not to let it exceed 170F at any time. You'll want to insert a meat thermometer into the center of the substrate as you pasteurize to make sure it stays within the correct range. I pasteurize in quart jars, in a large pot of water. You can see part of the pasteurization tek in a short clip that is on my website. I use the same pasteurization tek for compost, manure, and casing material. Look at the horse manure tek clip, and the casing layer preview clip. They're just short takes, but it might be enough to get the point.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

OfflineFingerfoods
Pale Blue Dot
Male

#7015382 - 06/06/07 12:00 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

I plan on buying prepastuerized horse poop for this next grow as an experiment, I made another LC that I plan to inoculate my new jars with today but before I do could you tell me if you think its ok? Or some signs to tell weather its bad or not? I know you probably need a microscope but I don't have access to one, but if theres anything else I can do I would like to know.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder