Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlineslot
Mushroom Man
 User Gallery

Inoculated last night, seeing mistakes in retrospect.
    #7004146 - 06/03/07 06:57 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Last night I inoculated 6 jars following one of the BRF/Verm teks. Looking back I am kicking myself. First I did not wait long enough before inoculating after using the PC. I misinterpreted letting them cool to mean.... not be "hot." I was at least glad to see this is a fairly common question and mistake... so I don't feel quite as dumb. Secondly, I did not wipe down the top of the jars with alcohol before inoculating or take off the tape; I just put the needle through it. I feel that other than that... It was much easier than I had suspected. Fortunately I have another syringe to try again, correcting my mistakes. =]

--------------------
I just lied to you.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlineboneynerd
Mushway! EatFresh!
Male User Gallery

Loc: milkyway.usa
Re: Inoculated last night, seeing mistakes in retrospect. [Re: slot]
    #7004177 - 06/03/07 07:05 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

make liquid culture and save urself from losing ur syringe and have to re-order right away :P

plus LC = faster run time

--------------------
"Your mama's grow was so contaminated, the shroomery got trich." :headbanger:
-SpitballJediS

"your a female, no one woulda cared you were naked,hell probably made someone's day, but I pull my balls out on a bus and im the bad guy.."
-Bishlap

OfflineDanielVX
Shroomer Dan
Male

#7004240 - 06/03/07 07:26 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Hello, slot! I'd say boneynerd hit the nail on the head. Before you go trying to make yields from your inoculation medium (spore syringe, etc.), you should make sure you have a large base of 'stuff' to grow your 'shrooms with, so you can use that instead. Liquid Culture (LC)is the best method for doing this. A few simple drops from your spore syringe into a steralized pint jar with 10g of honey and filled with water should germinate nicely (few weeks at the most), at which time you can extract the myc from the LC jar to inoculate your cakes with. And hardly any spore solution is wasted this way. And you can make as many LC jars as you want. My definition of LC - a perpetual 'shroom making jar. :smile: Just make sure you're as sterile as possible, and you'll do fine!

As for your 'mistakes' for your cakes, how long specifically did you leave your cakes to cool? If it wasn't long enough, the heat will kill the spores, and you won't see any Mycelium growth. I don't think not wiping the lids of your jars will have much effect on the outcome. If you followed sterilization procedures well enough besides that, your chances of contamination are slim.

Anyway, I hope your mushrooms turn out great, and I'll be looking forward to seeing the results, and will be sharing mine once my spore syringe gets here and I can inoculate my first cakes! Happy 'shrooming!

-Daniel

--------------------
If consequences dictate, the course of action, it doesn't matter what's right, it's only wrong if you get caught. - MJK

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: Inoculated last night, seeing mistakes in retrospect. [Re: boneynerd]
    #7004257 - 06/03/07 07:32 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Yea,your lucky that you have another syringe because "Not hot" on the outside may be quite hot on the inside:thumbdown: .. I think you may be a cake grower,and this is OK IF you have no PC,if you do make a grain jar and do this with a few cc's of your other syringe >> http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=30&Number=6817701&fpart=&PHPSESSID=  that will give you enough to not have to worry about running out for quite a while even despite making newbie mistakes,if you have no PC I would say make more than lone lc.I would personally invest the whole syringe into lc,2cc's each into 5-6 lc's depending on if you have a 10 or 12 cc syringe,ya cant count on all of them being good but it doesn't hurt to increase your odds,its been nearly a yr since I have went back to spores

Offlineslot
Mushroom Man
 User Gallery

Re: Inoculated last night, seeing mistakes in retrospect. [Re: Blutjager]
    #7004298 - 06/03/07 07:44 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks you for your responses. I will do some more research into LC now. The idea of having to order another syringe is mind boggling since I had originally planned to get at least one successful spore print for reproduction out of both of those syringes. I have come to terms with my mistakes and am willing to accept that they most likely will not colonize. If I understand you correctly once I create a successful LC, I can then use and reuse that to inject directly into my substrate or even another LC jar? So in all actuality one syringe could become 5 QT's of "injectable culture" and I would in theory not even have to take spore prints assuming that I kept the LC running? As you can see I really did not put much thought into LC before my first grow because I thought that would be a more advanced technique to try with prints from my first grows. Thanks for the ideas, looks like I need to hit the store....I really don't want to risk getting zero mushrooms and not being able to reproduce.

--------------------
I just lied to you.

Offlineslot
Mushroom Man
 User Gallery

#7004302 - 06/03/07 07:45 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Yes I do have a PC, BTW.

--------------------
I just lied to you.

Offlineslot
Mushroom Man
 User Gallery

#7004414 - 06/03/07 08:12 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Blutjager,

Would that link you sent me work with say.... finch seed? From what I can tell, you just follow instructions to colonize the seed, but leave enough room in the jar for some sterile water. Then squeeze in water on top of the colonized seed and shake it up. Let it settle and suck up the water from the seed jar. That water can then be injected into other substrate? How long will that water keep?

--------------------
I just lied to you.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
    #7004415 - 06/03/07 08:12 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Since you're supposed to inoculate against the glass, if the glass wasn't hot, you're probably OK. I also disagree strongly with the advice to make LC out of syringes. That's a weenie way to make liquid culture. I would never consider making liquid culture with an unproved strain. You're better off using your syringe to inoculate the jars directly. Once you learn grains, you can do a grain to grain transfer, or even two or three g2g's, and expand your mycelium much farther and faster than you can squirting spores into sugar water and hoping for the best, which I strongly recommend against.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlineslot
Mushroom Man
 User Gallery

Re: Inoculated last night, seeing mistakes in retrospect. [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #7004456 - 06/03/07 08:22 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Honored to have you on my thread RR, being how it was your method I was following in the first place. =]

I think the LC seems really great, but to be honest... It was only until after my first inoculation that I felt comfortable with the method, successful or not. I really feel like I could do the same method again and eliminate my mistakes with a lot more confidence than nervously trying a new method already. I did inject the sides of the jars so maybe I will get lucky..who knows. I think I may wait a few days to see if they by chance colonize, then if they don't I will try again. If they do.... I will be able to try another method. I was really worried about not taking the tape off and rubbing the top with alcohol...but I did use the upside down tequila glass/ alcohol flame to sterilize between jars. Would you say that if I see nothing after 5 days it's safe to say the heat killed them?

--------------------
I just lied to you.

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#7004499 - 06/03/07 08:30 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

slot said:
Blutjager,

Would that link you sent me work with say.... finch seed? From what I can tell, you just follow instructions to colonize the seed, but leave enough room in the jar for some sterile water. Then squeeze in water on top of the colonized seed and shake it up. Let it settle and suck up the water from the seed jar. That water can then be injected into other substrate? How long will that water keep?

I don't see why it wouldn't work with finch seed,or anything as long as you can shake it up,that is why I posted it because if your jars do turn out OK this is a far better method of making more than regular sugar based lc's just as RR is talking about,I imagine it should keep for quite a while and you can always shoot some of this liquid mycelium into some lc solution an see how quick it takes of so you know if its still good,be careful with that stuff,if you leave it alone long enough and even with broken glass in your bottles it will get thick enough to never get into a syringe without some giant gage needles

Offlineslot
Mushroom Man
 User Gallery

Re: Inoculated last night, seeing mistakes in retrospect. [Re: Blutjager]
    #7005275 - 06/03/07 11:06 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

OK thank you, I will do 1/2 BRF cakes and 1/2 finch seed with the remaining syringe on my next try. Then I can try your method and still have the confidence in doing the simple PF-tek. The reason I chose finch seed is...I already had some, =].

--------------------
I just lied to you.

Offlineslot
Mushroom Man
 User Gallery

#7013721 - 06/05/07 11:47 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

I opened up the box I have the jars sitting in and to my surprise...they are all alive and turning white in the inoculation points.

--------------------
I just lied to you.

Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #7013834 - 06/06/07 12:11 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

slot said:
I opened up the box I have the jars sitting in and to my surprise...they are all alive and turning white in the inoculation points.

Awesome! Just two days and growth already? That's very nice!

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: Inoculated last night, seeing mistakes in retrospect. [Re: myndreach]
    #7013899 - 06/06/07 12:22 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

myndreach said:
Quote:

slot said:
I opened up the box I have the jars sitting in and to my surprise...they  are all alive and turning white in the inoculation points.

Awesome! Just two days and growth already? That's very nice!

Yea,as long as its not mold :slitwrist:

OfflineVampireSlayer
killing ghosts,zombies andvampires forlife
Male User Gallery

#7013956 - 06/06/07 12:33 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

It doesn't sound like a big deal to me you're likely to have done it right. It is great you are being mindfull about your first grow.

--------------------
I Don't come to fight flesh and blood but spiritual wickedness in high and low places

Offlineslot
Mushroom Man
 User Gallery

Re: Inoculated last night, seeing mistakes in retrospect. [Re: VampireSlayer]
    #7014754 - 06/06/07 08:15 AM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Yea, I know...I was excited! Even thought it was only two days, it felt like forever. So far no mold from what I can tell. They are sitting in a shoe-box on top of an external HDD that gets kinda warm. I put a towel between the two so they don't get too warm. Also, I inoculated 6 more jars, playing around a little. I did two more BRF cakes like before (just in case). I also did a finch seed jar, Whole Brown Rice jar, finch seed / Brown rice, and with the remaining BRF/Verm I mixed 50/50 with finch seed (so....50% PFTEK mix....and 50% finch). I thought I would play around with different substrates and see what I can come up with. Looking forward to trying to LC though. I don't want get ahead of myself, but I may need to actually start choosing a casing method for those cakes =] *crosses fingers*

--------------------
I just lied to you.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   North Spore Bulk Substrate, Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation