Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]
Invisibleshaggydogman
Stranger

My lungs are damaged beyond repair
    #7002251 - 06/03/07 04:35 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

'My lungs are damaged beyond repair'
By Zoe Smeaton
BBC News

The holes in Samantha Wilson's lungs are getting bigger.
There is no cure for her illness and if it continues to get worse it will eventually kill her.

Samantha is 37 and has emphysema, a progressive condition normally associated with older people who have smoked tobacco regularly throughout their lives. Samantha's doctor, Dr Onn Min Kon, a consultant physician of respiratory medicine at St Mary's Hospital in London, believes her cannabis smoking may be to blame for her condition.

Dr Kon said he had several other young patients who smoke cannabis and have lung diseases normally seen only in older tobacco smokers. He said: "I've got a collection of young people who have lungs that look like they're 65-year-olds." Such case studies have prompted Dr Kon to plan a study comparing the lungs of patients who smoke cannabis with those who smoke only tobacco. When Samantha, of Maida Vale, London, was diagnosed with emphysema at the age of 34 she had been smoking cannabis for 20 years.

She had begun by smoking two joints a day, but was eventually smoking up to 10 a day. According to the latest figures from charity Action on Smoking and Health, the average tobacco smoker smokes between 13 and 14 cigarettes every day.

Samantha believes she is living proof of the effects cannabis can have on lungs. She said: "If I don't stop smoking I won't be around much longer - there is no cure for emphysema, the holes in my lungs are getting bigger. "There should be adverts showing people like me."

Dr Kon uses images of his patients' lungs to assess damage. When smoked, cannabis produces many of the same chemicals as a tobacco cigarette, but may damage the airways to a greater extent. In a 2002 report, the British Lung Foundation estimated that three to four cannabis cigarettes a day were associated with the same amount of damage to the lungs as 20 or more tobacco cigarettes a day.

So far though, it has been difficult to separate the effects of cannabis smoking from those of tobacco smoking in patients, as many users smoke both. In his study, Dr Kon will use lung function tests and CT scan pictures to look for lung damage. Such a study using CT scans has not been done before and Dr Kon said even people with apparently normal lung function could have problems, such as holes in their lungs, which would show up on these scans. He said these people may have no symptoms but could still have respiratory diseases.

Previously the link between emphysema and cannabis smoking has been difficult to prove, and the risks are often overlooked by people, who are generally concerned only about lung cancer.

Samantha said: "I'd never even heard of emphysema when I was diagnosed, and I don't think people know there is a risk of getting it."

The British Lung Foundation also called for more awareness of the issue. A spokesperson said: "Research carried out by the British Lung Foundation found that smoking cannabis alone can cause severe lung damage. "It is vital that people are fully aware of the dangers so they can make an educated choice and know the risks fully."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleEgo Death
Justadropofwaterinanendlesssea
 User Gallery

Loc: The War Machine
Re: My lungs are damaged beyond repair [Re: shaggydogman]
    #7002346 - 06/03/07 06:06 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Nasty!

Vaporisers required!

--------------------

OfflineNobody Special
Stranger

Re: My lungs are damaged beyond repair *DELETED* [Re: Ego Death]
    #7002538 - 06/03/07 08:16 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by Nobody Special

Reason for deletion: none

OfflineTypicalTripper
CannabisCuddling Canuck

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canada
Re: My lungs are damaged beyond repair [Re: Nobody Special]
    #7002631 - 06/03/07 09:16 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Seems to me like they picked a pretty crappy example. The lady has emphysema and she smokes a whopping 10 joints a day. Of course her lungs are gonna look bad !

InvisibleCubeHead
Stranger

#7002678 - 06/03/07 09:47 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Does marijuana cause cancer? This following report doesnt seem to confirm so.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/25/AR2006052501729.html

Which is hogwash? You decide.

EDIT: Ooops, the article was about emphysema(sp?)

Edited by CubeHead (06/03/07 09:56 AM)

OfflineEraserhead
Lost Soul
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth
    #7002686 - 06/03/07 09:52 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

People in the UK who smoke their joints without tobacco raise your hands....

Where does the article say she doesn't smoke tobacco?

Not to mention was she getting soapbar? Was she getting silica weed? was it even quality nuggets she was smoking in the first place?

--------------------

OfflineLily_Morgan
I'm #1 !!
Female User Gallery
Loc: Eastern Shore
Re: My lungs are damaged beyond repair [Re: Eraserhead]
    #7002860 - 06/03/07 11:06 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Well I think it's implied in the article that she only smokes cannabis. But we all agree that it's very hard on the lungs. Case in point: MJ has a very high tar content, like cigarettes. But you don't smoke MJ with a filter attached to the joint so that you clear out most of the tar. I've actually had this discussion with a lot of people, it might not be so harsh on your lungs if you would roll it like a cigarette and attach a filter to the end. I don't know, maybe it's just me.

However, diseases like emphysema can be hereditary, and if aggravated by the slightest thing will exhibit itself earlier than it would have if the subject had smoked nothing at all their entire lives.

OfflineSporetastic
Stranger

#7002867 - 06/03/07 11:09 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Wikipedia says marijuana has not been shown to cause emphysema or cancer

I SMELL BS IN THIS ARTICLE.

How come she is the only person in history who has gotten this from smoking cannabis alone? At least according to wikipedia.

Offlinemoon_glue
Orwell's Post9/11 Era
Male

Loc: Earth, today...
Re: My lungs are damaged beyond repair [Re: Sporetastic]
    #7002954 - 06/03/07 11:30 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

gee, who would have thought blatant disregard to moderation would have bad results :rolleyes:

i usually eat my pot anyway. teach the bitch how to cook. problem solved.

Invisiblekintos
Stranger
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: My lungs are damaged beyond repair [Re: moon_glue]
    #7003015 - 06/03/07 11:46 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

10 joints a day, sounds like a sierous problem for her. you would thing someone who smokes that much weed would have herd of a vaporizer and that little thing called moderation

--------------------

OfflineDanielVX
Shroomer Dan
Male

Re: My lungs are damaged beyond repair [Re: kintos]
    #7003081 - 06/03/07 12:05 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

What I would say to her: 10 joints a day!? Holy shit! Time for you to buy a bong, and some better weed! Bongs reduce the tar associated with Marijuana by over 50%, and if you had better stuff it'd get you stoned without having to smoke a half-ounce of the stuff. Or better yet, get a really healthy weed machine, and shell out some money for a vaporizer? And I don't want to hear *waaa, I don't have money for a vaporizer*. Big...fuck...deal, your lungs are way more important than your wallet. And for God sakes, have a little self control, will you? You don't need to be smoking 10 joints worth of weed every day. If you're smoking that much a day, you need to quit for awhile. No ifs ands or buts about it, when you're smoking that insanely much, you have a problem...fix it!

Dumbass people blaming weed for their problems...

--------------------
If consequences dictate, the course of action, it doesn't matter what's right, it's only wrong if you get caught. - MJK

OfflinementalIMAGE
21st Century Schizoid Man
Male User Gallery

Loc: Canada
Re: My lungs are damaged beyond repair [Re: DanielVX]
    #7003132 - 06/03/07 12:23 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

DanielVX said:
What I would say to her: 10 joints a day!? Holy shit! Time for you to buy a bong, and some better weed! Bongs reduce the tar associated with Marijuana by over 50%, and if you had better stuff it'd get you stoned without having to smoke a half-ounce of the stuff. Or better yet, get a really healthy weed machine, and shell out some money for a vaporizer? And I don't want to hear *waaa, I don't have money for a vaporizer*. Big...fuck...deal, your lungs are way more important than your wallet. And for God sakes, have a little self control, will you? You don't need to be smoking 10 joints worth of weed every day. If you're smoking that much a day, you need to quit for awhile. No ifs ands or buts about it, when you're smoking that insanely much, you have a problem...fix it!

Dumbass people blaming weed for their problems...

You raise a point, but you're making it seem like smoking weed is the priority here.

However I totally agree with you about telling the bitch to cut back. Starting with two joints a day is even way more than needed.. that's more than I need in a day and I've been smoking for 4 years. Some people need to learn that little word called moderation.

--------------------

We are always acting on what has just finished happening. It happened at least 1/30th of a second ago. We think we're in the present, but we aren't. The present we know is only a movie of the past.
Ken Kesey

OfflineSporetastic
Stranger

Re: My lungs are damaged beyond repair [Re: mentalIMAGE]
    #7003143 - 06/03/07 12:31 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Anyone who smokes weed ten times a day doesn't like to be high anyway.

I can only get actually high like 2 or 3 times a day. Anymore than that and it dulls the effects and is a waste of weed and money.

OfflineSunshineDaydream
Journeyman
Male User Gallery

Loc: OK Flag
Re: My lungs are damaged beyond repair [Re: Sporetastic]
    #7003185 - 06/03/07 12:48 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

i must just get bomb shit...
actually i know i do, because it's beautiful with no stems and seeds. haha. anyway, one bong rip of my weed get's me pretty stoned for about 2 hours. i usually take 4 bong rips a day. that is it. that's probably only the amount of weed you would find in a third of a joint.

OfflineKRoNiCxBoY
Jedi Master
Male

Loc: Sirrius Star System
Re: My lungs are damaged beyond repair [Re: SunshineDaydream]
    #7004351 - 06/03/07 05:57 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I think you guys are slightly missing the point here. This woman is in her 30's and has the lungs of a 60-70 year old. This disease is associated with old people who have smoked more than a pack a day of cigarettes!! If this lady is experiencing this at 34 years old from smoking MJ this does seem like a problem to me, as a heavy pot smoker (10+ cones a day for nearly 10 years) I was pretty interested in this article and am glad that It was posted. I would like to see a LOT more research into this.
EG: the difference between joints and bongs,
difference between smoking with or without tobacco,
potheads who smoke just weed vs. ppl smoking weed & cigs,
Impact of quality of weed etc.
This sort of information would def. help heavy smokers make a more informed decision every time they light up. Maybe encourage ppl like myself to cut back on their own will, not having some idiot on a msg board telling you 'No ifs ands or buts about it', your smoking insanely too much. Have you ever tried to quit or cut back on an addictive substance? (YES, I believe weed IS addictive). Wake up ppl: There are a lot of heavy pot smokers in this world, telling them to cut back or quit without any information to back it up is plain stupidity. We need more research done on cannabis use, that is what Dr Onn Min Kon is trying to do!!

OfflineSebastian23
Stranger
Male

Loc: Bay
Re: My lungs are damaged beyond repair [Re: KRoNiCxBoY]
    #7005361 - 06/03/07 09:30 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

KRoNiCxBoY said:
Have you ever tried to quit or cut back on an addictive substance? (YES, I believe weed IS addictive).

That's bull. Pot isn't physically addictive.

--------------------
"If the words 'life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness' don't include the right to experiment
with your own consciousness, then the Declaration of Independence isn't worth the hemp
it was written on."
-Terence McKenna
Marijuana Myths Debunked

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: My lungs are damaged beyond repair [Re: KRoNiCxBoY]
    #7005368 - 06/03/07 09:31 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

> This sort of information would def. help heavy smokers make a more informed decision every time they light up.

Actually no, because it's all lies and misrepresentations of the data.

> YES, I believe weed IS addictive

Then you are weak. When you actually become addicted to an addictive substance you will laugh at yourself as I am doing now.

> We need more research done on cannabis use, that is what Dr Onn Min Kon is trying to do!!

No, Kon is a no-nothing dipshit who, having no research of his own on the subject, tries to tell you scare stories about "some patient" that smoked MJ.

As far as the "British Lung Foundation" study, it's garbage. It's already been thoroughly debunked. See...

http://www.marijuananews.com/news.php3?sid=595

-FF

Invisibleralphroks
humaniform

Loc: Up north passed Alaska
Re: My lungs are damaged beyond repair [Re: fastfred]
    #7005469 - 06/03/07 09:55 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I doubt its quality weed, if she needs ten joints a day. Some weed has
such a low THC content; you can smoke it all day long and never get high. If you only needed a small puff to get baked for hours; that would decrease the tar consumption. And quiting periodically could help lower her tolerance; if she really needed 10 joints of the dank to catch a buzz. And who knows if it was field weed sprayed with paraquat("Chronic exposure can lead to lung damage" -paraquat wiki)or pesticides. Or she could be smoking those new crystal papers made from veg. oil;and the emphysema could be caused by that. I avoid chemically grown weed; because I noticed it made me cough alot more and left me feeling chemically hung over; and it made me feel stupid baked. Ive
noticed alot of these cases are from the u.k. and I hear people talk shit about their weed too.I try to expose my lungs to only quality dank; so I cough less during smoking anyway.trichomes are almost pure thc.

--------------------
"Please read and learn and relay knowledge not misinformation! Thank you"-hyphae

OfflineKRoNiCxBoY
Jedi Master
Male

Loc: Sirrius Star System
Re: My lungs are damaged beyond repair [Re: ralphroks]
    #7005953 - 06/04/07 12:04 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

That's bull. Pot isn't physically addictive.

I am aware that pot has been supposedly proven to be non-addictive. But I come from a family of very heavy pot smokers, and nearly all my friends heavy smokers. Now you try take the bong away for more than 4 hours and it gets crazy round here. I have not gone longer than 1 day in 10 years without smoking. Believe me I have tried. POT IS ADDICTIVE, every one of my pothead friends agree. It def. is not AS addictive as some substances, but addictive nontheless. If ppl want to argue levels of addictiveness, that is being ridiculous. I have watched many-many ppl struggling to quit weed, only to find them weeks later hitting the bong again and again.

InvisibleDIRTYMAN
Jesusdon'tcomethrough thecotton.
Female
Loc: CZ NIGGUH
    #7006330 - 06/04/07 02:54 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Eraserhead said:
People in the UK who smoke their joints without tobacco raise your hands....

Where does the article say she doesn't smoke tobacco?

I can nearly guarantee she smoked spliffs. I have rarely heard of anyone outside North America smoking plain buds, most cut it with tobacco because it's scarce.

Smoking ten unfiltered anythings is going to be bad for your health.

--------------------
I'm racist.                http://k-k-k.com/

OfflineEraserhead
Lost Soul
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth
Re: My lungs are damaged beyond repair [Re: fastfred]
    #7006366 - 06/04/07 03:39 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I say weed isn't addictive, and agree with FF.
I'm usually a daily smoker, all day, every day. Except for a few breaks here and there, and a 2 year stint of maybe only getting stoned 2-4 times throughout that time frame. I don't set my pipe down, except between tokes.

I'm tired of spending all my $$ on weed, and not getting high, so I set my pipe down. It's been 5 days so far.

No problem.
Now I'm just bored......and movies/games aren't as entertaining to just sit here and do.....
My house is getting cleaner too....
Go figure.

Get hooked on benzodiazepines then stop taking them cold turkey, tell me pot is addictive then.
I just finished tapering myself off them.

It's all a state of mind with MJ. Other than the given boredom from sitting on your ass not being as entertaining.

--------------------

Offlinejoekenorer
The Joekenorer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Pensacola, FL.
Re: My lungs are damaged beyond repair [Re: DIRTYMAN]
    #7006374 - 06/04/07 03:46 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Marijuana is Psycologicaly addictive, although not "normally" very badly.

Inhaling carcinogens of any kind is no good. Vaporizors and cooking are two very healthy, and much, much more efficient and effective than smoking. I love the taste of burnt weed as much as anyone else, but I save more weed, more money, and my lungs by eating and vaporizing. Thats all she needs, and I think it would be beneficial to her.

IF DOCTORS AND POLITICIANS AND SCIENTISTS WANT TO EXPLAIN HOW BAD SMOKING WEED IS, THEN THEY NEED TO START INFORMING THE PUBLIC ABOUT MUCH SAFER, CLEANER METHODS. I mean you can't lock us all up, might as well help us be healthier.

--------------------
My favorites are weeping willows, which aren't really weeping at all. They're very wispy, witty and will dance in the breeze with you. Nothing like a tree that wants to dance with you. Although it doesn't like its thin limbs being pulled at all, it absolutely LOVES it when you walk through them, letting them gently slide over your face and shoulders. If you're naked, the willow considers it to be sex. It will orgasm on your mind and you will blow dream chunks into outer space. All very fun until your neighbor sees you.                                    -The Joekenorer

OfflineNobody Special
Stranger

Re: My lungs are damaged beyond repair *DELETED* [Re: fastfred]
    #7006712 - 06/04/07 08:36 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by Nobody Special

Reason for deletion: none

Offlinehpi
Tsar Bomba
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Montreal, Canada Flag
    #7007615 - 06/04/07 12:58 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Weed doesn't cause no sort of lung cancer.

They had tons of studies say that people who have smoked over 22000 joints had no increased risk of lung cancer.

Bullshit article agaisnt marijuana again!

--------------------
Tohu Tehom Theli Than Leviathan Tanin'iver Taninsam!
Tohu Tehom Theli Than Leviathan Tanin'iver Taninsam!

There exists one lie that is the absolute worst. A lie that has successfully infiltrated many of the Western governments. This lie is Christianity, and it must be fought in every way, shape and form. Burn the churches and kill the priests. The abomination that is Christianity must be wiped from this Earth.

4-Methyl-Aminorex

OfflineNobody Special
Stranger

Re: My lungs are damaged beyond repair [Re: hpi]
    #7007938 - 06/04/07 02:07 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

hpi said:
Weed doesn't cause no sort of lung cancer.

They had tons of studies say that people who have smoked over 22000 joints had no increased risk of lung cancer.

Bullshit article agaisnt marijuana again!

A) who's 'they'?
B) 'tons of studies'? Cite one.
C) when/if you do, explain to me how it proves, beyond question, that weed doesn't cause lung damage. (keeping in mind that "cuz they said so" is not a valid answer").
D) the article mentioned emphesema, not lung cancer. Proof of my suspicions that you haven't really read anything that's been written here (as well as probably anywhere else other than a bathroom wall).
E) The last few days on this forum have been interesting, as well as highly entertaining, abut I think I'm done here. To the few of you who are enlightened, intelligent individuals... been nice knowing you. To the majority of you who are perhaps the most ignorant lot of dipshits I've encountered to date... I wholeheartedly support your campaign to destroy the few brain cells you still have left. Godspeed.

InvisibleDIRTYMAN
Jesusdon'tcomethrough thecotton.
Female
Loc: CZ NIGGUH
    #7008247 - 06/04/07 03:07 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Nice deleted post, makes your response that much more legit...

--------------------
I'm racist.                http://k-k-k.com/

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
    #7010821 - 06/05/07 04:13 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

> Proof of my suspicions that you haven't really read anything that's been written here

Obviously you didn't do much reading either. The study that is the basis for this article is garbage. Check out the link I posted. The data from the study actually does not show any increased emphysema from smoking weed.

And yes there have been several studies showing that smoking MJ carries no increased risk of lung cancer. Dig them up yourself seeing as how you think that you're "enlightened" and the rest of the people here are "ignorant".

OfflineFlugon_Nine
Rolling Stone
Male

Loc: Earth A.D.
    #7017317 - 06/06/07 09:44 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Nobody Special said:
A) who's 'they'?
B) 'tons of studies'? Cite one.
C) when/if you do, explain to me how it proves, beyond question, that weed doesn't cause lung damage. (keeping in mind that "cuz they said so" is not a valid answer").
D) the article mentioned emphesema, not lung cancer. Proof of my suspicions that you haven't really read anything that's been written here (as well as probably anywhere else other than a bathroom wall).
E) The last few days on this forum have been interesting, as well as highly entertaining, abut I think I'm done here. To the few of you who are enlightened, intelligent individuals... been nice knowing you. To the majority of you who are perhaps the most ignorant lot of dipshits I've encountered to date... I wholeheartedly support your campaign to destroy the few brain cells you still have left. Godspeed.

http://www.webmd.com/lung-cancer/news/20060523/pot-smoking-not-linked-to-lung-cancer
I believe this is what he's referring to.

--------------------
"When we first broke into that forbidden box in the other dimension, we knew we had discovered something as surprising and powerful as the New World when Columbus came stumbling onto it." - Ken Kesey

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Loc: Exile
Re: My lungs are damaged beyond repair [Re: Flugon_Nine]
    #7028632 - 06/10/07 01:21 AM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Whether or not smoking pot causes lung cancer or any other illnesses, I couldn't give a rat's arse. It's still not a very good reason to ban a substance. If it were the case, tobacco would be illegal, but it's not. What it comes down to is the individual deciding to use a certain drug over another. I enjoy pot more than tobacco because of the effects, not because I believe it might not cause lung cancer.
And some people need to learn moderation. People who smoke 2 packs a day will probably be more likely to get fucked up lungs. Same deal goes with pot. Don't smoke so much!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals