Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineMycofestDestiny
Poohandler

Re: RogerRabbit's Rye Tek [Re: DJ_Nemesis]
    #19176791 - 11/22/13 10:09 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

U don't need the PC with cakes. Get a kettle, put a few layers of foil on the bottom, get water to a rolling boil, reduce heat to med-low and set timer 1 hr30. It's that simple. I've done whole grains this way many times, and I have a pretty high success rate! U want the water at the min temp to stay boiling the whole time.  Please tell me ur not gonna fruit directly from cakes. U need a good bulk tek?

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflinecronicrFacebook
 User Gallery

Loc: Van Isle Flag
Trusted Cultivator
Re: RogerRabbit's Rye Tek [Re: MycofestDestiny]
    #19176918 - 11/22/13 11:17 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

I've spawned hundreds of cakes and don't notice much of a yield increase, just changes the approach for me more less, cakes are 2/3s verm already which is basicly like spawning a qaurt of grain to two qts bulk, so when using cakes as spawn your only getting 1/3 the amount of grain as you would using whole grains, just my two pennies

--------------------

It doesn't matter what i think of you...all that matters is clean spawn

I'm tired do me a favor

OfflineMycofestDestiny
Poohandler

Re: RogerRabbit's Rye Tek [Re: cronicr] * 1
    #19180757 - 11/23/13 10:38 PM (10 years, 4 months ago)

I realize grains would be better for spawning to bulk. U don't think that if he crumbled the cakes and spawned them to four times as much sub- coffee grinds, hpoo, and gypsum, that he wouldn't get more shrooms than fruiting from strait cakes? I don't use cakes, but from what I hear the yields are low. Not that perlite and hydroton are super expensive, it just seems like spending that money and using ur space for bulk subs would be more efficient.

I guess wat I'm wondering now is, how much nutrition comes solely from the grains?

Thinking bout trying some cakes. Pc's are fuckin noisy and I'm almost out of rye. Have u used wbs?

OfflineMycoPerception
Stranger
Re: RogerRabbit's Rye Tek [Re: GoodbyeOrb]
    #23463892 - 07/21/16 08:25 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

On the rye berries i fallow your instructions to the T.  The jars seem to do very well mycilium grows at a quick rate and looks very healthy.  And then once they are almost fully colonized they get a brownish liquid starts to appear in a few spots.  But the mycilium still looks healthy.  dont know if this is a contamination.  The only thing i can think of is there may not be enough gas exchange.  My lids have tape on them to try to help reduce contamination.  I just tryed switching the lid with a synthetic filter disk to see what that does. could really use some help

OfflineNature Boy
Stranger than most
Male User Gallery

Loc: Samsara
Re: RogerRabbit's Rye Tek [Re: MycoPerception]
    #23464868 - 07/22/16 04:32 AM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Metabolites.

--------------------
All submitted posts under this user name are works of pure fiction or outright lies.  Any information, statement, or assertion contained therein should be considered pure unadulterated bullshit.  Note well:  Sorry, but I do not answer PM's unless you are a long-time trusted friend.  If you have a question, ask it in the appropriate thread.

OfflineMycoPerception
Stranger
Re: RogerRabbit's Rye Tek [Re: Nature Boy]
    #23465898 - 07/22/16 12:28 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

sorry brand new to having an account on here have read lots on here but just got an account dont really know how to do stuff yet.  i did ask a question about rye berries tho

Offlinejoshxjosh
Stranger
 User Gallery

#23466001 - 07/22/16 01:06 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MycoPerception said:
sorry brand new to having an account on here have read lots on here but just got an account dont really know how to do stuff yet.  i did ask a question about rye berries tho

I recommend watching his videos at www.mushroomvideos.com

edit: did you remove the lids while they were colonizing?

Edited by joshxjosh (07/22/16 01:07 PM)

OfflineMycoPerception
Stranger
Re: RogerRabbit's Rye Tek [Re: joshxjosh]
    #23466764 - 07/22/16 05:12 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

Yes i bought it and watched all of them im thinking that i didnt get enough gas exchange.  The lids were on

OfflineMycoPerception
Stranger
    #23475969 - 07/25/16 04:22 PM (7 years, 8 months ago)

It was the gas exchange.  I replaced the lid to the jars with a synthetic filter disk in my glove box.  in 2 days they were completely cleared up.  Thanks guys

OfflineMacPappy
New Guy
Male User Gallery

Re: RogerRabbit's Rye Tek [Re: GoodbyeOrb]
    #24515027 - 07/28/17 09:24 PM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

GoodbyeOrb said:
Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
My rye tek:
Measure out your organic rye berries from a health food store, one cup for each quart jar you intend to make. Place them in a large pot. Rinse the heck out of them. Fill the pot with hot tap water, shake and swirl it around and pour it out. Do this three or four times until the water you pour out is clear. You'll be able to see when you have nice clean water to pour off instead of water filled with chaff and dirt.

You want to now cover the rye berries with three times as much hot tap water as you have rye. Use half coffee and half plain water. In other words, if you have two inches of rye in the bottom of your pan, you should have six inches of water/coffee above that, for a total of 8 inches.  Add approximately a 1/4 teaspoon of gypsum per cup of rye. Stir these into the water/grain well. For my large kettle with ten cups of rye and two to three gallons of water, or (coffee/water)I add a tablespoon of gypsum and mix in. Cover and leave this to sit for 6-24 hours.

Stir well and set the pot on the stove. Bring to a boil. Boil for ten minutes, then, WHILE BOILING, drain the contents through a very large colander. (spaghetti strainer) If you're making a large batch, you may need more than one colander. Tip the colander side to side to get the rye to drain as much of the water as you can. Then, shake the colander in order to 'toss' the grain. This will cause a lot of steam to rise from your rye. Great. Do this a time or two, then let it sit for five minutes, then repeat. When all the moisture that will drip or evaporate from your rye has already done so, load your jars. The rye should look and feel dry to the touch when you load the jars. All the moisture you need is inside the grain.

Fill jars no more than 2/3 full if they are to receive grain to grain transfers, or no more than 3/4 full if they are to be inoculated by spore syringe or agar wedge. Use a lid with a synthetic filter disk, polyfill, tyvek or similar. Cover with foil and PC the jars for at least 90 minutes at 15lbs. I use 120 minutes. When the jars are cool, they're ready to inoculate.

This is the procedure that's demonstrated on my DVD.
RR

I followed this tek verbatim. I measured 3 cups of organic rye berries for 3 quart jars and soaked for 24 hours and boiled for 10 minutes. After that I was only able to fill 2 of the quart jars 3/4 full. Now I have to wait another day to fill the other quart jar.  Up your grains per given measurements by RR to save time. I am not a pro I just followed your advice and these were the results....

OfflineP. semilanceata
Milker of knowledge
Re: RogerRabbit's Rye Tek [Re: MacPappy]
    #24515516 - 07/29/17 06:38 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

I did use RR's Rye Tek except I boiled my grains for too long time(15min-20min) and lot of them bursted. I did not use coffee last time. I think this is good tek when done right and anyone interested in grains should test it.

--------------------
Things I am looking for.

OfflineMacPappy
New Guy
Male User Gallery

Re: RogerRabbit's Rye Tek [Re: P. semilanceata]
    #24515640 - 07/29/17 08:16 AM (6 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

P. semilanceata said:
I did use RR's Rye Tek except I boiled my grains for too long time(15min-20min) and lot of them bursted. I did not use coffee last time. I think this is good tek when done right and anyone interested in grains should test it.

Yeah it's a great tech. The organic rye berries are the shit. I did everything right it's just the 1 cup per quart ratio only filled two quarts 3/4 full. Unless there is a difference in the jars RR uses but I am pretty sure a quart is a quart no matter the shape of jar you are using. Anyway, I will just use more grains next time. No big deal....

OfflineTharayman
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#24711083 - 10/15/17 03:12 AM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

P. semilanceata said:

I bursted kernels a huge deal? I can see that they probably lose a lot of their nutrition and some of their ability to hold moisture, but the batch can still be used right?

How do you store your used coffee grounds? I am mean, how do you keep them from molding up?

--------------------
"There is nothing more important on the planet Earth, at this moment, than a good party. Why? 'Cause we have fun. We meet our friends. We fall in love, we fall out of love. We find ourselves. We develope, we evolve, we dissolve, we merge and we "lyserge." That's about it."
Raja Ram

All posts made by this username do not actually exist. They are hallucinations caused by the reception of light photons by the retinae of homo sapien sapien. You are already inside the rabbit hole.

Invisiblecapmuncher
Alchemist
I'm a teapot User Gallery

#24711981 - 10/15/17 02:04 PM (6 years, 5 months ago)

Quote:

MacPappy said:
Yeah it's a great tech. The organic rye berries are the shit. I did everything right it's just the 1 cup per quart ratio only filled two quarts 3/4 full. Unless there is a difference in the jars RR uses but I am pretty sure a quart is a quart no matter the shape of jar you are using. Anyway, I will just use more grains next time. No big deal....

I found it confusing when I started with grains but often when say a quart of spawn they mean a quart jar that has has some head room. The extra head room in the jar is for ease of shaking.

Don't forget you will also be adding a little more grain if you're inoculating your jars with grain master. You can add a bit more grain to the soak if your working from agar to make up for the lack of added grain

I have personally found it better to weigh the starting grain as a after a few rounds you get a very clear idea how much dry grain will make up once preped for pressure cooking. At the moment I run 230g pre jar of rye that ends up around 2/3 full.

From what I have read a few burst grains are unavoidable but to many is a bad thing and could end up with a very gloopy grain jar that is hard to shake. I think the inner core is more prone to contamination than the outer husk. To avoid bursting I tend to make sure to do a solid pre soak and also bring my pot up to a rolling boil on a medium heat rather than full blast. I stay with it during the boil and check the grains often by pulling a few out, cutting open with a knife and looking to see if the inner core is mostly hydrated. Strangely I have found I also quite like eating a few as also a good test for when they are ready. When you pull a bunch out on a spoon you can keep an eye out for when grain starts bursting and can make the call to dump them out for straining. I have stated leaving my grain ever so slightly under-cooked in a few grains (most fully cooked) guessing the last will hydrate during the PC cycle. This early pull I feel keeps my burst grain numbers quite low and avoid the wet jar issues I had early on. I am still new and could have this wrong but find the above has helped me get better grain jars.

also tested using no foil on my grain jars (home made SFD) this weekend and found it to look at the same ending moisture level as the foiled jars so happy to have got rid of an other step in the process. Are others using foil on SFD lid grain jars?

Offlineplantbased
Yūgen
Female

Loc: Arkansas
Re: RogerRabbit's Rye Tek [Re: capmuncher]
    #25059477 - 03/12/18 11:12 PM (6 years, 1 month ago)

I did everything besides the coffee (due to different instructions) but everything else the same! Its been 3wks now and nothing is happening. I tilted my jar to see if maybe the inside molded or if anything was happening and nothing is colonized or molded even. It was about 85-90 where I’m keeping my jars after more research i realized this was too warm and have dropped the temp down to 75 but only 3 days ago did i change the temp. Did I ruin my jars?? I did 2cc of spores in each that have fruited in a previous grow so i know the spores are not bad.

--------------------
✨ Shaman in Training ✨

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   OlympusMyco.com Sterilized Grain Bag   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order