Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineLa_casper
journeyman

Another Newbie Question about casing's?
    #699814 - 06/25/02 07:14 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Yes i have read the FAQ. Actually am gonna cut and paste directlly from it.

Question:
What do I do after applying the casing layer?
Answer:
Once the casing has been created it should be left at colonization conditions to allow the mycelium to permeate the casing layer. This is called the post casing/pre pinning stage. The casing layer should be left in darkness, with a RH of 95+%, incubation temperature (80 - 84?F), and no CO2exchange (meaning, no fresh air exchange). In small setups this incubation period is often achieved by covering the casing container with aluminium/tin foil or an opaque lid. If you use a lid and the lid closes very tightly, some small holes should be poked into the lid to allow for some gas exchange.
If you use foil holes are not needed since the foil doesn?t seal the casing container off completely.
The cover will allow for the CO2to build up within darkness, while maintaining the high RH required for this stage.
A day or two after initially casing, some aggressive mycelia may have appeared in spots on top of the casing layer. Many people Patch Case now, to create a more even pin set in the end.
Once the mycelium has appeared in the valleys of the casing layer it?s time to trigger primordia formation. The mycelium shouldn?t be allowed to colonize the casing surface since this can easily lead into an overlay. To trigger pinning, casings need three things:
the introduction of fresh air exchanges (and thus, reduction of CO2buildup), the introduction of light, and the reduction in temperature.
Ideally, the casing should be kept at 95 -100% RH at this phase, and temps maintained at around 70-75 degrees. To achieve this, remove the tinfoil/whatever from the casing completely. Place it within an appropriate moist terrarium and fan it 1-2 times a day. The ambient light of the room should be enough to initiate pinning, assuming your terrarium has some light and is somewhat see -through. At this time, if the casing layer seems dry, you *lightly* mist the casing layer with water. Not too much: otherwise fragile mycelial strands can die. The casing should remain moist but not wet.

OK for a terrarium i have read that you can use big 1' or so Rubbermaid containers. My question is this: Do you put a lid on top of this?? If so, i have never seen a Rubbermaid container with a clear lid. Is the removal of the lid a couple times a day enough light that they need? If you do still put the lid on the Rubbermaid do you pock some holes in it?
If this has been asked and i have not found it, please post the link so i can learn!.

thank you
casper

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineLa_casper
journeyman

Re: Another Newbie Question about casing's? [Re: La_casper]
    #699857 - 06/25/02 07:42 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Moe, i guess i was wrong about you.

I thought this was a place of no flame wars, etc. etc.

And i do not think it was the dumbest question i have read here!

Moe: all you had to do was point me to the post you started about your experiences..........geeeee wwizzzzzzz

I with drawl my question...

casper

Edited by La_casper (06/25/02 07:45 AM)

OfflineLa_casper
journeyman

#699891 - 06/25/02 08:08 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

No nO no no no no.....the FAQ i have learned alot from....

And it was somewhere i read where all newbies should follow instructions to a T...........Right?

Well it really did not say to put a lid on it....so i was asking.

Just like i was not told to cover or lid the casing itself right after you make it. I was told to make the casing and then set it in the terrarium and forget about it for a few days. Now i think if i or anyone i knows try to do this, i think now i will cover the casing in the beginning, just like the FAQ says too....

So basicily i am just learning here.....taking everything i read and noting it in my head. And instead of assuming, i am asking.

So to re-state my questions: I know about the lid now. But as far as light goes, is the time the lid is off while you air/fan them, is that enough light. I guess i am confussed at if the lid is white and not clear, just turning the light on in the room, is that enough light for it to know to grow upwards????? or Does a person actually need to take the lid off for X amount of minutes to light and fan?????

I know, I know....laugh at me, but keep it to yourselfs, lol

Thank you for correcting what you said.

casper

Edited by La_casper (06/25/02 08:13 AM)

Invisiblepsyconaut
NASA trainedpsychonaut
Loc: The Great White North
    #699896 - 06/25/02 08:10 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I've seen people cut rectangles out of Rubbermaid lids and then place clear plastic over that area -- thus making a lid that fits with a clear window. This is good too as it gives a very directed light source.

You don't need huge amounts of light for shrooms. But having to take a lid off a few times a day seems like unnecessary work to me, so avoid it with a clear lid of some sort!

You can use airholes or fans to draw off CO2 and introduce O2. Just remember that you're also given contams the opportunity to enter by having open holes.

I've been toying with the idea of using a small 12VDC fan for extraction and having inlets at around the casing layer covered with synthetic filter disks to trap some of the incoming contaminents. Mind you, probably wouldn't trap mold spores or airborne bacterium.

-psyconaut

--------------------
It may look like a button mushroom right now, but wait until you see how it grows!

OfflineBlueBus
    #699907 - 06/25/02 08:18 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I'll tell you what I did and it worked. I have two rubbermaid containers, both are the smaller type. They could hold maybe three or four gallons of water. Well anyway what I did was take a sharp knife and cut a big square opening in the lid so that the lid would still snap to the container but now it just has a big square hole in it. I take saran wrap and cover the top of the container with it and then put the lid back on. That way they get light and helps keep in humidity. I believe it also helps them to grow up toward the light instead of growing sideways. Thats just my ten cents, my two cents are free.

--------------------
I paid good money to see myself fall apart, I'm not about to give up now.

OfflineSquid
withdrawn fromthe everdayworld

#699909 - 06/25/02 08:18 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

You need a lid. You can either cut a large window in the lid and then glue in a piece of plexiglass or if the lid doesn't have a nice snug fit you could just built yourself a lid. Take some small strips of wood and build a frame. Then staple clear plastic sheeting to it. Or if you dont want to do either of those turn the container upside down or on its side. The shrooms need light from above to grow upward.

--------------------
A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move towards higher levels. -A. Einstein

OfflineMacey Howard
Formally MOE HOWARD
Female

Loc: Georgia
Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: psyconaut]
    #699913 - 06/25/02 08:22 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

--------------------
Hugs and Kisses!

Offlineknurd
enthusiast

Re: Another Newbie Question about casing's? [Re: Macey Howard]
    #699953 - 06/25/02 08:46 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

If the bottom is clear you can turn it up side down.(the lid on the bottom)This is what I did and it worked out well for me.

--------------------
PLEASE DON'T PM ME FOR FREE SPORES I GAVE AT THE OFFICE

Now I will trade when I can

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #699972 - 06/25/02 08:58 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I added this line to this FAQ:

Terrarium refers to any enlosed container with at least one translucent side, idealy at the top(terrarium, aquarium, rubbermaid box with a lid...)

OfflineLa_casper
journeyman

Re: Another Newbie Question about casing's? [Re: Anno]
    #699992 - 06/25/02 09:05 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

THANK YOU ALL......

Everyone here is the best.

I have been to other message boards for other things, and they always seem to have their fare share of 'flamers'. Who only want to put people down and tell them how stupid they are......Right on guys.

casper

InvisibleDreaMaTrix
Shaman I am

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Falling into place
    #700035 - 06/25/02 09:34 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Try this, its just a wooden frame, with polythene stretched over it. It keeps the humidity in by sealing the polythene against the terranium with the weight of the timber. Remove and fan as neccessary.
Lets light in too.

Works velly well

Good luck

--------------------

"We are the one's we have been waiting for" - Hopi saying

OfflineL3D
enthusiast
Re: Another Newbie Question about casing's? [Re: psyconaut]
    #700301 - 06/25/02 11:02 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

> I've been toying with the idea of using a small 12VDC fan for extraction and having inlets at around the casing layer covered with synthetic filter disks to trap some of the incoming contaminents. Mind you, probably wouldn't trap mold spores or airborne bacterium.
I've been toying with the idea of using a small 12VDC fan for extraction and having inlets at around the casing layer covered with synthetic filter disks to trap some of the incoming contaminents. Mind you, probably wouldn't trap mold spores or airborne bacterium.

I did something similar to this and yes thats when i got contams. I am still testing this so i willg et back to with further test. It was a 1 time thing so i could ahve been something else.
Here is what i have for air exchange /terraium Rubermaid with the top cut out and some plexiglass glued on. Perilte for humidity and then for the air exchange. I have a small 2"x4"x4" rubermaid container. the top has the center cut off, and a filter disk taped to the lid. inside there is an air pump and a hose that goes out and into the terrarium. Everthing is then Sealed with clear fishtank silacon. the pump is on a timer. this worked well after a lot of headaches on getting the timeing right on the pump. it would either be too much humdity or to little never constant. once i got a better timer this was resolved and worked great for a week or 2 but then contams set in bad. and since it was only opend here andthere for picking. the only way i see for the contams to get in were from the air pump.

right now i am testing with 2 filter disks on there maybe that will work a little better.

L3d

Offlinenw2shroom
shroom deity
Loc: Tu hablas el Spanglish??
Re: Another Newbie Question about casing's? [Re: DreaMaTrix]
    #700321 - 06/25/02 11:07 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

thats a pretty good way of doing it, ,

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder