Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
InvisibleGoodbyeOrb
Self-SacrificingPotency Tester
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Organic Rye Berry Question
    #6991511 - 05/31/07 01:17 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

This the right stuff? The "berries" part of the name is throwing me off, this just looks like rye seed to me. Thanks.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Organic Rye Berry Question [Re: GoodbyeOrb]
    #6991528 - 05/31/07 01:21 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Looks like it. Was it labeled 'rye berries'?
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleGoodbyeOrb
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Organic Rye Berry Question [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6991538 - 05/31/07 01:23 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

It was labeled "Organic Rye, 5 pounds" although I went to the health store and asked the bloke behind the counter for organic rye berries, so i figured it was the right stuff. What kind of colonization times you normally expect with ORB?

Invisiblejmg5
deadicated
Male

Loc: miles above you
    #6991947 - 05/31/07 03:19 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

assuming everything goes right for me it's 2 weeks from spores and 1 week from liquid culture or grain transfer :peace:

Invisiblejeetered
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: no clue
Re: Organic Rye Berry Question [Re: jmg5]
    #6992080 - 05/31/07 04:16 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

that's rye berries, and quite honestly, putting them side by side, i cannot tell the difference between the two, they both sprout, and rye grass grows out of both... so wtf..

i get 5-7 day full colonization on pints of rye.

be sure you understand that an endospore soak is a good idea, and that simmer and boil are definitely two different things. PC for 99 minutes, this has helped me alot.

if you got at a whole foods store, it's berries, and a co op, they'll call it seed.

InvisibleGoodbyeOrb
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Organic Rye Berry Question [Re: jeetered]
    #6992115 - 05/31/07 04:27 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah i followed RR's Rye tek, which I did a 40 hour soak in coffee/water, then boiled for ten minutes, strain and drain, then PC for 120 mins. Thanks for the help guys, i just wanted to make sure i had the right stuff.

Invisiblejeetered
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#6992124 - 05/31/07 04:30 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

GOOD LUCK!!!!

i prefer simmering for 45 minutes though, vs. boiling for 10 mins,

and soaking for anything over 24 hours has caused sprouting. I also do not believe the coffee is needed. It's only caused problems in my experiences.

InvisibleGoodbyeOrb
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #6992136 - 05/31/07 04:33 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Is "Good Luck" caps b/c you don't think it's going to work?

I went 40 hours because RR said 6 - 36, but 40 was the soonest I could pull them, and he said that'd be okay.

Invisiblejeetered
Stranger
Male User Gallery

#6992174 - 05/31/07 04:43 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

no it's in caps coz i wish you the BEST!!!!!

it will work, RR is not a dummy !!

InvisibleGoodbyeOrb
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #6992184 - 05/31/07 04:44 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks, you had me scared. Yeah he is a genius, so I not really worried about if it will work, i just worried about whether or not i screwed up.

Invisiblephil823
Deep Thinker

Loc: Middle Somewhere
    #6992500 - 05/31/07 06:07 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

RR has a Grain TEK?

does anyone have the link or is it in the new video's he just produced?

InvisibleGoodbyeOrb
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Organic Rye Berry Question [Re: phil823]
    #6992739 - 05/31/07 06:54 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

GoodbyeOrb said:
These gents are referring to this tek, courtesy of the great RogerRabbit.

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
My rye tek:
Measure out your organic rye berries from a health food store, one cup for each quart jar you intend to make. Place them in a large pot. Rinse the heck out of them. Fill the pot with hot tap water, shake and swirl it around and pour it out. Do this three or four times until the water you pour out is clear. You'll be able to see when you have nice clean water to pour off instead of water filled with chaff and dirt.

You want to now cover the rye berries with three times as much hot tap water as you have rye. Use half coffee and half plain water. In other words, if you have two inches of rye in the bottom of your pan, you should have six inches of water/coffee above that, for a total of 8 inches. Add approximately a 1/4 teaspoon of gypsum per cup of rye. Stir these into the water/grain well. For my large kettle with ten cups of rye and two to three gallons of water, or (coffee/water)I add a tablespoon of gypsum and mix in. Cover and leave this to sit for 6-36 hours. Don't freak out if you go 48 hours and it smells like it's fermenting. No problem.

Stir well and set the pot on the stove. Bring to a boil. Boil for ten minutes, then, WHILE BOILING, drain the contents through a very large colander. (spaghetti strainer) If you're making a large batch, you may need more than one colander. Tip the colander side to side to get the rye to drain as much of the water as you can. Then, shake the colander in order to 'toss' the grain. This will cause a lot of steam to rise from your rye. Great. Do this a time or two, then let it sit for five minutes, then repeat. When all the moisture that will drip or evaporate from your rye has already done so, load your jars. The rye should look and feel dry to the touch when you load the jars. All the moisture you need is inside the grain.

Fill jars no more than 2/3 full if they are to receive grain to grain transfers, or no more than 3/4 full if they are to be inoculated by spore syringe or agar wedge. Use a lid with a synthetic filter disk, polyfill, tyvek or similar. Cover with foil and PC the jars for at least 90 minutes at 15lbs. I use 120 minutes. When the jars are cool, they're ready to inoculate.

This is the procedure that's demonstrated on my DVD.
RR

Invisiblephil823
Deep Thinker

Loc: Middle Somewhere
    #6993584 - 05/31/07 09:40 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

Oh ok, looks like i should putting together the change under the couch to scrape up some money for the dvd set :smile:

OfflineRRVideoV
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: Wilderness cabin
Re: Organic Rye Berry Question [Re: phil823]
    #6993624 - 05/31/07 09:52 PM (16 years, 9 months ago)

I've never had rye berries or rye grass seed sprout when soaked in weak coffee.  I don't know why, but for some reason, it never has.  Soaked wihout coffee, they often spout.  The DVD shows the basic tek without coffee, just water and gypsum.  Using coffee is the R rated version, just for here. :wink: The most important thing when working with rye or other grains is to get the moisture right.  If you'll follow the above tek, it will come out right every time. Bear in mind, the 1/4 teaspoon of gypsum per cup of rye is when you add it to the soak water. You can let it cool overnight before removing from the pressure cooker, and the grains will separate like sand when you turn the jar upside down.  They won't be clumped up at all.
RR

--------------------
http://www.mushroomvideos.com

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Injection Grain Bag   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract