Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinepiopio
Stranger
blue mold
    #6976626 - 05/28/07 07:08 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Hi everyone i have a question.

I started to grow the mushrooms using a grow-kit and all went ok until the last two days (that are the last days of the gowing cycle) when i noticed that a blue mould has grown in some zones of the box and has make a dent in the lower part of some mushrooms.
I immediately harvested the mushrooms and before placing them to dry i've cutted the bad parts with a scissors (when i made it i've noticed that the white part of the stem becomed immediately blue,is it normal?)

What i wuold like to know is if i still can eat them or if is better to throw them away.

Someone can tell me how to act please?

Thanks

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleTheEnd
Strange Daze

Re: blue mold [Re: piopio]
    #6976634 - 05/28/07 07:13 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

The blue on the stem is bruising. It means that there is psilocybin in those mushies of yours:thumbup:. Was the blue that you cut off the same exact thing? Or was it more of a green? Blue is just bruising, but green is BAD.:thumbdown:

--------------------

Offlinepiopio
Stranger
Re: blue mold [Re: TheEnd]
    #6976906 - 05/28/07 09:09 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

First of all thanks for the answer.

I'm using a grow-kit and i'm sure that a blue mold has grown in some zones of the growkit and has reached the lower part of some mushrooms, and that's a point. Then there the fact that the blue color camed out only when i cutted the mushrooms in the stem.
So maybe they are two different aspects, not related.

What i would like to know is if the mold has ruined the mushrooms or if i can eat them after cutting the mold-infected part.

To answer to your question if i have to say a color it would be blue.

Thanks

Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #6977075 - 05/28/07 09:52 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Sounds like bruising...

is the blue anywhere but on the mycelium/mushrooms?

if you can provide a picture, please do so

Offlineexagram
Phear the shroom
 User Gallery

#6977145 - 05/28/07 10:14 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

First off, this ought to be in the contamination forum if you suspect a contamination, but whatever.

I've never heard of a blue mould before. Usually, when people see what they think is a blue something-that-shouldn't-be-there, it turns out to be mundane bruising of odd-looking mycelium. Pictures would be great, but if you can't get any, could you describe the texture of it? Is it fluffy or stringy? Is it growing, and if so, how fast? Is it light or dark blue?

--------------------
Raoul Duke: What Leary took down with him was the central illusion of a whole lifestyle that he helped create - a generation of permanent cripples, failed seekers, who never understood the essential old-mystic fallacy of the acid culture: the desperate assumption that somebody, or at least some force, is tending the light at the end of the tunnel.

Invisibledeucedbi9
Stranger

Loc: UK
Re: blue mold [Re: exagram]
    #6977170 - 05/28/07 10:21 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

try wiping a cotton bud over the suspect "green" areas.

if it comes off it's a contam,throw it.
if not it's bruising and ok.

--------------------
whether low pressure sucks or high pressure blows...
it's a bugger to cycle in.

even though I'm feeling good
Something tells me I'd better activate my prayer capsule

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: blue mold [Re: deucedbi9]
    #6977247 - 05/28/07 10:52 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Blue mold is penicillium. It's what blue cheese salad dressing is full of, and is not toxic unless you're allergic to penicillin shots. However, penicillium is normally a contaminant of agar and grain cultures, not casing or substrates. I suspect bruising as well, but 'grow kit' doesn't tell us a darn thing about what kind of substrate you're using.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinepiopio
Stranger
Re: blue mold [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6980852 - 05/29/07 05:16 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Thanks for the informations.

I'm sorry but i can't provide any picture because i don't have a digital camera.

Yesterday i harvested the rest of the mushrooms (is it normal that when thay start to open they become from dark brown to very light brown?) and i cutted what i thought was the bad part (a small portion at the bottom of the mushrooms).

The mould is not so dark and the color is beetween blue and green, it's not growing fast and today i will try the cotton test. To complete the description the mold has not gone throught all the mushroom, i found it on some zones of the substrate and on the bottom of some of them.

Now they are drying (is it ok to leave them on an absorbing paper in a room NOT at direct light but also not in the dark?), so for you would be ok to try them? What will eventually be the worst thing that can happen?

I know that without picture it's difficult to give a definitve answer, but i hope i've explained well the situation.

Again thanks a lot for helping me

OfflineNibin
Getting there
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #6980862 - 05/29/07 05:31 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Sounds like bruising to me.

The caps (top of the mushroom) of my golden teachers go from dark brown to a goldeny light brown when they open, I don't know if all cubensis strains do that.

What strain of cubensis are you growing?

--------------------
Newcomers guide-----> For all things shroomy

Offlinefiggusfiddus
Arrogant Worm
Male User Gallery

Loc: Figgus, Fiddia
Re: blue mold [Re: Nibin]
    #6981379 - 05/29/07 10:05 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Use some diluted peroxide on the "blue mold". If it fizzes like mad, you're looking at mold, if not, then not. I suspect it's not blue mold, since you're probably growing on a rice-based substrate.

Brown caps are not unusual, nor are brown stems, as long as you're talking about a friendly, tannish color. Look at the pics on the site.

--------------------
FGSFDSFGSFDSFGSFDSFGSFDSFGSFDS

Offlinepiopio
Stranger
Re: blue mold [Re: figgusfiddus]
    #6985653 - 05/30/07 02:27 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

I'm growing mexicans (stopharia cubensis).

I can't try the mold test because i've already thrown away the box, but thanks to all for the information.

When i'll eat the mushrooms i'll let you know if i will be still alive :grin:

OfflineMichaelshroomincap
Stranger

Re: blue mold [Re: figgusfiddus]
    #15634047 - 01/08/12 09:11 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Will the peroxide damage the mycelium? If not, why why not just coat this mysterious blue mold you think might not just be bruising (it is) until it's al fizzled away. Penicilin  vanquished.

Offlinekansastornado
Stranger
Male
Re: blue mold [Re: Michaelshroomincap]
    #15634080 - 01/08/12 09:22 AM (12 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

Michaelshroomincap said:
Will the peroxide damage the mycelium? If not, why why not just coat this mysterious blue mold you think might not just be bruising (it is) until it's al fizzled away. Penicilin  vanquished.

Almost 5 year old post, some of those people are not on here anymore.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate