Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Bridgetown Botanicals Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Offlinekotik
fuckingsuperhero
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
Content analysis of O'Reilly's rhetoric finds spin to be a 'factor'
    #6963157 - 05/24/07 09:02 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

link: http://newsinfo.iu.edu/news/page/normal/5535.html

This study, published in the academic journal Journalism Studies, was conducted and released without any involvement of any special interest group. The researchers received no grant funding for this study. Additional data, charts and the full text of the study are available online at http://journalism.indiana.edu/papers/oreilly.html

Quote:

Using analysis techniques first developed in the 1930s by the Institute for Propaganda Analysis, Conway, Grabe and Grieves found that O'Reilly employed six of the seven propaganda devices nearly 13 times each minute in his editorials. His editorials also are presented on his Web site and in his newspaper columns.

The seven propaganda devices include:

* Name calling -- giving something a bad label to make the audience reject it without examining the evidence;
* Glittering generalities -- the opposite of name calling;
* Card stacking -- the selective use of facts and half-truths;
* Bandwagon -- appeals to the desire, common to most of us, to follow the crowd;
* Plain folks -- an attempt to convince an audience that they, and their ideas, are "of the people";
* Transfer -- carries over the authority, sanction and prestige of something we respect or dispute to something the speaker would want us to accept; and
* Testimonials -- involving a respected (or disrespected) person endorsing or rejecting an idea or person.

The same techniques were used during the late 1930s to study another prominent voice in a war-era, Father Charles Coughlin. His sermons evolved into a darker message of anti-Semitism and fascism, and he became a defender of Hitler and Mussolini. In this study, O'Reilly is a heavier and less-nuanced user of the propaganda devices than Coughlin.

Among the findings:

* Fear was used in more than half (52.4 percent) of the commentaries, and O'Reilly almost never offered a resolution to the threat. For example, in a commentary on "left-wing" media unfairly criticizing Attorney Gen. Alberto Gonzales for his role in the Abu Ghraib scandal, O'Reilly considered this an example of America "slowly losing freedom and core values," and added, "So what can be done? Unfortunately, not much."
* The researchers identified 22 groups of people that O'Reilly referenced in his commentaries, and while all 22 were described by O'Reilly as bad at some point, the people and groups most frequently labeled bad were the political left -- Americans as a group and the media (except those media considered by O'Reilly to be on the right).
* Left-leaning media (21.6 percent) made up the largest portion of bad people/groups, and media without a clear political leaning was the second largest (12.2 percent). When it came to evil people and groups, illegal aliens (26.8 percent) and terrorists (21.4 percent) were the largest groups.
* O'Reilly never presented the political left, politicians/government officials not associated with a political party, left-leaning media, illegal aliens, criminals and terrorists as victims. "Thus, politicians and media, particularly of the left-leaning persuasion, are in the company of illegal aliens, criminals, terrorists -- never vulnerable to villainous forces and undeserving of empathy," the authors concluded.
* According to O'Reilly, victims are those who were unfairly judged (40.5 percent), hurt physically (25.3 percent), undermined when they should be supported (20.3 percent) and hurt by moral violations of others (10.1 percent). Americans, the U.S. military and the Bush administration were the top victims in the data set, accounting for 68.3 percent of all victims.
* One of O'Reilly's common responses to charges of bias is to come up with one or two examples of "proof" that he is fair to all groups. For example, in October 2005, Dallas Morning News columnist Macarena Hernandez accused O'Reilly of treating the southern border "as the birth of all American ills." O'Reilly responded by showing a video clip in which he had called Mexican workers "good people." He called for a boycott of the newspaper if it did not retract Hernandez' column.

"Our results show a consistent pattern of O'Reilly casting non-Americans in a negative light. Both illegal aliens and foreigners were constructed as physical threats to the public and never featured in the role of victim or hero," the authors concluded.

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinebarfightlard
tales of theinexpressible
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Canoodia
Re: Content analysis of O'Reilly's rhetoric finds spin to be a 'factor' [Re: kotik]
    #6965032 - 05/25/07 09:52 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

no no no fair and balanced:stonedjerk:

--------------------

"What business is it of yours what I do, read, buy, see, say, think, who I fuck, what I take into my body - as long as I do not harm another human being on this planet?" - Bill Hicks

OfflineRoosterCogburn
Fearless,one-eyed U.S.Marshall
Male User Gallery

Loc: Dirty South, NJ
Re: Content analysis of O'Reilly's rhetoric finds spin to be a 'factor' [Re: barfightlard]
    #6965049 - 05/25/07 09:57 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

I'd like to see them analyze something important, like the U.S. fucking government... I hate Bill O'Reilly, but is he this important?

Let's see this applied to REAL politicians.

InvisiblePsychoactive1984
PositiveCynicist
Male

Loc: California, Monterey Coun...
Re: Content analysis of O'Reilly's rhetoric finds spin to be a 'factor' [Re: kotik]
    #6965129 - 05/25/07 10:22 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

nothing new here, move along.

--------------------
"Their is one overriding question that concerns us all: How can we get out of the fatal groove we are in, the one that is leading towards the brink?" Albert Szent-Gyorgyi
"We may not be capable of eradicating the corruption of reason, but we must nevertheless counter it at every instance and with every means." Dan Agin
"Politics is the best religion and politicians are the worst followers."
-It's ok to trip as long as you don't fall.
-Substance over Style.
-Common sense is uncommon.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Loc: Fractallife's gym
Re: Content analysis of O'Reilly's rhetoric finds spin to be a 'factor' [Re: barfightlard]
    #6965603 - 05/25/07 12:38 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

barfightlard said:

When has O'Reilly said that he was fair and balanced?  He's not.  He's an O'Reilly machine.  Just like Maureen Dowd and Paul Krugman and Chris Matthews.  The problem comes when the opinions infiltrate the news.
I don't like O'Reilly at all, I think he's a lightweight thinker, but let's not accuse him of violating something he never pretended to be.

--------------------

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Re: Content analysis of O'Reilly's rhetoric finds spin to be a 'factor' [Re: zappaisgod]
    #6965628 - 05/25/07 12:44 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

When has O'Reilly said that he was fair and balanced?

I'm guessing that the name of his show...'the no spin zone' gave that impression?

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

Re: Content analysis of O'Reilly's rhetoric finds spin to be a 'factor' [Re: Rono]
    #6965655 - 05/25/07 12:52 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

It shouldn't have. It doesn't mean the same thing. Spin is when you try to weasel out of an inconsistent position by somehow repackaging it. Which is not to say that I don't think the douche hasn't ever done that either, just that they're not equivalent. Seriously, I don't think he has ever tried to present himself as anything other than an O'Reilly opinion machine. At least I never thought of him as anything else.

--------------------

OfflineRonoS
DSYSB since '01
Male User Gallery

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Re: Content analysis of O'Reilly's rhetoric finds spin to be a 'factor' [Re: zappaisgod]
    #6966264 - 05/25/07 03:59 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Spin - Slang. a particular viewpoint or bias, esp. in the media; slant: They tried to put a favorable spin on the news coverage of the controversial speech.

--------------------
"Life has never been weird enough for my liking"

Offlinekotik
fuckingsuperhero
 User Gallery
Folding@home Statistics
    #6966792 - 05/25/07 07:20 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

zappaisgod said:
Quote:

barfightlard said:

When has O'Reilly said that he was fair and balanced?  He's not.  He's an O'Reilly machine.  Just like Maureen Dowd and Paul Krugman and Chris Matthews.  The problem comes when the opinions infiltrate the news.
I don't like O'Reilly at all, I think he's a lightweight thinker, but let's not accuse him of violating something he never pretended to be.

are you serious?  do i really have to pull a link on youtube to bill actually stating "fair and balanced?"  I assure you he has said it a plethora of times, despite my lack of motivation to prove it.

--------------------
No statements made in any post or message by myself should be construed to mean that I am now, or have ever been, participating in or considering participation in any activities in violation of any local, state, or federal laws. All posts are works of fiction.

Offlinezappaisgod
horrid asshole

#6967059 - 05/25/07 08:24 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

It's the general news channel's theme. If he appropriated it for
himself I would be surprised because he is clearly 100% opinion but that just goes to show how much I watch him.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Bridgetown Botanicals Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals