Home | Community | Message Board

Zamnesia.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJerrico
Cat
Male User Gallery

A mystery: invisible contam that smells awful and makes cakes sticky???
    #6960600 - 05/24/07 10:43 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Is there such a thing as a contam you can't see but it smells really bad?

I had my cakes inoculated a month ago and they ALL stalled after 10 days. A week later I gave them some air by opening them in a glovebox, they still didn't grow. Now I decided to dunk them into water with the 10:1 h2o2 (3%) solution, but before I did I just decided to cut one of the BRF cakes open and have a look what's going on inside. I figure the water content could be OK after all, so there must be something funny.

And it really did smell funny. It smelled awful, like a spikey, sharp rotten smell, almost like some chemical, mixed with the smell of the zoo, or the smell of dead dog hair or something. One part of the cake crumbled as I cut it and after touching that pile I noticed it was very sticky, but that it seemed to have some moisture in it. If it wasn't moisture it was some kind of goo, but I couldn't distinguish it! Here you can see on the high quality pictures what that looks like:

This was a part near the side of the jar, you can see some mycelium:

It just appears as a normal BRF mixture would, with some mycelium growing where the sides of the jar were.

...So I don't get it, were all of my jars contaminated? Is this just something that happens to BRF cakes if left for too long at incubation temp? What could this be? An invisible contam that just smells really bad? Or did I just pack it too tight, or maybe some disinfectant chemical slipped into my jars, who knows. HELP!!

--------------------
Curiousity killed the cat, so it can be curious only 8 more times.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinedizzy_jester
I aint noclown...

Re: A mystery: invisible contam that smells awful and makes cakes sticky??? [Re: Jerrico]
    #6960811 - 05/24/07 11:40 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

same thing happened to a cased bulk of mine. i noticed a small portion in the corner and a week later had spread to about 1/3 of the bulk. take it out of teh FC and on a window sill or somewhere of the likes and place some saran wrap with holes in it. i got another flush out of it before i decided jsut to throw it out

OfflineJerrico
Cat
Male User Gallery

Re: A mystery: invisible contam that smells awful and makes cakes sticky??? [Re: dizzy_jester]
    #6961006 - 05/24/07 12:30 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

@dizzy,
what exactly did you notice, was it just a part where no mycelium was growing?

So far I narrowed it down to two culprits: The rice or the vermiculite. I used the same syringes, jars and sterilisation techniques for another 6 jars filled with pop-corn and they all worked out.

Perhaps something was wrong in the brown wholegrain rice (which I turned to flour) this time?

This is really bugging me lol

--------------------

Offlinedizzy_jester
I aint noclown...

Re: A mystery: invisible contam that smells awful and makes cakes sticky??? [Re: Jerrico]
    #6961062 - 05/24/07 12:46 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

mine was a rye spawned to coir cased wiht 50/50

i first noticed it when i was poking around and noticed that the infected areas crumbled up. they basically just started falling apart with a goeey texture aroudn the coir and rye, the mycellium looked as if it had gone extinct in those areas. and of course the funky smell. kinda like raw sewage with a sweetness to it

Offlineexagram
Phear the shroom
 User Gallery

#6961156 - 05/24/07 01:11 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

Jerrico said:
Is there such a thing as a contam you can't see but it smells really bad?

All the symptoms you describe point towards a bacterial infection. Get rid of your infected cakes.

--------------------
Raoul Duke: What Leary took down with him was the central illusion of a whole lifestyle that he helped create - a generation of permanent cripples, failed seekers, who never understood the essential old-mystic fallacy of the acid culture: the desperate assumption that somebody, or at least some force, is tending the light at the end of the tunnel.

OfflineJerrico
Cat
Male User Gallery

Re: A mystery: invisible contam that smells awful and makes cakes sticky??? [Re: exagram]
    #6961661 - 05/24/07 03:37 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

exagram said:
All the symptoms you describe point towards a bacterial infection. Get rid of your infected cakes.

Thanks for your reply. Would you know what are the most likely causes for bacterial infections? Because if that's the case I want to know how ALL of my 12 cakes got it.

--------------------

OfflineJerrico
Cat
Male User Gallery

#6961752 - 05/24/07 03:55 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Never mind that I just searched for a bit and found out that spore prints and spore syringes are the most likely culprits. But then it's odd because my pop-corn jars didn't get infected and I used the same syringes and prints! Odd, strange, weird... I don't know what to think.

And I wouldn't like to make another batch of BRF cakes just to make the same mistake again.

--------------------

OfflineJerrico
Cat
Male User Gallery

#6962434 - 05/24/07 07:49 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Any more ideas??

--------------------

Edited by Jerrico (05/24/07 07:49 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Brown Rice Flour, Coir, Rye Grain, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation