Home | Community | Message Board

Reliable Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
InvisibleArp
roving mycophagist
 User Gallery

Loc: in a van by the river
Plant extract may block cannabis addiction
    #6955513 - 05/23/07 07:36 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

source:
http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn11904-plant-extract-may-block-cannabis-addiction-.html

"A drug which reduces the desire for marijuana and blocks its effect
on the brain has been successfully tested in rats. Scientists say the
findings may translate into better therapies for cannabis addiction in
humans.

Rodents given a compound derived from a plant in the buttercup family
lose their hankering for a synthetic version of tetrahydrocannabinol
(THC) - the active compound in marijuana. The treatment also blocked a
reward response in the animals' brains when they did receive synthetic THC.

In the first part of the experiment, Steven Goldberg at the National
Institute on Drug Abuse in Maryland, US, and his colleagues placed
rats in a cage with a lever the animals could push. Each time the rats
leaned on the lever, they received a dose of the synthetic THC
through a small tube running into their body.

Over a period of three weeks the rats learned to enjoy the effects of
synthetic THC and frequently self-administered the drug.
By comparison, rats that received saline solution did not press the lever often.

Goldberg's team then injected the rats with a compound derived from
the seeds of the Delphinium brownii plant, which is in the buttercup
family. The compound, known as methyllycaconitine (MLA), had a
dramatic effect on the animals' behaviour.

Blocking dopamine

On the day that they received MLA they pushed the lever for synthetic
THC 70% less than before. The drug did not seem to otherwise change
the rats' movement and coordination, and had no other apparent side
effects.

The scientists also took a close look at the effects of MLA on the
rats' brains. They used a technique called microdialysis to take tiny
fluid samples from a reward-signalling area of the brain known as the
nucleus accumbens, which sits near the base of the head.

When rats receive synthetic THC, levels of the reward chemical
dopamine normally shoot up in the nucleus accumbens - but MLA blocked
the release of dopamine in this brain region.

"The increases in dopamine are virtually non-existent because of MLA,"
says Goldberg. He adds that MLA did not lower dopamine levels below
normal amounts. This is important, says Goldberg, because it suggests
that a similar therapy for humans would not interfere with normal
reward signalling in the brain.

He notes that the drug Rimonobant, which makes monkeys less likely to
self-administer THC, has been linked to depression in humans.

The exact mechanism by which MLA works remains a mystery. Scientists
know that MLA binds to specific cell receptors in the brain called
alpha-7 nicotinic receptors. They speculate that cannabis indirectly
triggers these receptors, but cannot do so when the receptors are blocked by MLA.

Human potential

There is a genuine need for medications to help cannabis addicts
overcome their drug problem, according to Goldberg: "About 10% of the
people who experiment with it go on to heavy use and have trouble
voluntarily giving it up. I think there is a proportion of the
population who need ways to make them stop."

Drug-makers have recently made medications such as Chantix available
to help people quit tobacco smoking. But researchers say that these
drugs affect different nicotinic receptors than those triggered by
THC.

And while some people have pushed Rimonobant as a possible remedy for
addiction, Goldberg says that more options - such as one based on MLA
- must be explored: "Each patient is different and what works in one
might not work in another."

Journal reference: Journal of Neuroscience (DOI: 10.1523/JNEUROSCI.0027-07.2007)"

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinededjam
Electro Penguin
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Moralton, Statesota
Re: Plant extract may block cannabis addiction [Re: Arp]
    #6955520 - 05/23/07 07:37 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

cannabis addiction

Really?....no...really?

Offlinebiggysmall
Stranger
Male

Loc: your moms bedroom
Re: Plant extract may block cannabis addiction [Re: dedjam]
    #6955841 - 05/23/07 09:11 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

why dont people focus on helping out real bad addictions like heroin... and meth or something like that.... marijuana is rarley addictive and when it is... it is even more rarely extremley addictive

i just find this stupid

OfflineLeanin
Student of theIron Game
 User Gallery
Re: Plant extract may block cannabis addiction [Re: biggysmall]
    #6955883 - 05/23/07 09:22 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

what a bunch of bullshit

OfflineTurricaN
Grasshopper
Loc: Amersfoort, Netherlands
Re: Plant extract may block cannabis addiction [Re: Leanin]
    #6956095 - 05/23/07 10:15 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I have a friend who smokes cannabis all day, every day. He's 22 now, and has been smoking since he was 14, and he cannot stop, despite often wanting to. I would definitely say that my friend is addicted to cannabis.

Edited by TurricaN (05/23/07 10:16 AM)

OfflineD-Wreck
Stranger
Male

Loc: SC
Re: Plant extract may block cannabis addiction [Re: TurricaN]
    #6956215 - 05/23/07 10:52 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I have a friend like that too. From what it sounds like, its mentally addictive for him. It seems to me like the pill wouldn't work for him because he would still be looking for something to make him stop thinking about stuff, so he'd just go looking for something other than THC.

Invisiblebadreligion2good
Uncertain
Male

Re: Plant extract may block cannabis addiction [Re: D-Wreck]
    #6956346 - 05/23/07 11:36 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I am like that. I have a cannabis addiction. Ironically I was the guy marching around telling people how great pot was since it was fun and non addictive. Now going one day without smoking is difficult. I'm trying, I keep telling myself I'm going to quit, but no success.

I believe many users on Shroomery are addicted to cannabis though they would deny it citing the claim that cannabis is non addictive. Just because its not addictive to most, doesn't mean that its not addictive at all. The article claims only about 10% of pot smokers ever become addicted in the way which they hope this new drug will treat.

Though there is no uncomfortable physical withdraw, like opiates or stimulants, there are definitely psychological changes which occur when I stop smoking. I become very aggressive, talkative, I have non drug related flashbacks, become abnormally hyper, and extremely irritable. The main issue is that I get flooded by memories, which I guess one might call "repressed." I remember things and begin to feel guilty, lonely, nostalgic, angry, depressed all sorts of feelings which feel negative. Smoking helped me forget about my past, abstinence causes a flood of memories which cause me discomfort. On top of that, theres the insomnia, but thats solved by simply having sex around bed time for me.

--------------------
All I know is that I dont know.

Row, row, row, you boat, gently down the stream.
Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, life is but a dream.

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Plant extract may block cannabis addiction [Re: badreligion2good]
    #6956521 - 05/23/07 12:18 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

OK "addicts". Time for a reality check.

1. Weed is not physically addicting. You smoke it because you like smoking it. When you can't refuse that pipe when it comes around it's because you want to get high, not because you're having withdrawals, health problems, the shakes, cold sweats, etc.. You are either mentally weak or you put no effort into having a non-hedonistic lifestyle.

2. If you'd ever been addicted to an actually addicting substance you would laugh at yourselves. If you actually had the life experience to understand how hard and painful it is to break a real addiction you would realize that it's painfully easy to quit smoking weed.

You want the easy way out. Some sort of magic willpower pill that will give you the willpower to resist something you like. It just doesn't work that way. Maybe a rat can be chemically forced to do what you want, but it won't work in humans. All the pill is going to do is keep you from getting high when you smoke weed. You'll still be in exactly the same boat, trying to resist something that you like. You'll still want to get high, you'll simply have a two step process rather than one like before. You'll just have to stop taking the pill and then smoke.

If you really want to quit then you're going to have to make some changes. To a hedonist they are just too much, but if you reject that philosophy then change is easy. First you have to get rid of your weed smoking buddies. Then you need something to keep you busy, perhaps a job or some goals. It's as easy as that. You're never going to quit by hanging out with your smoking buddies all day watching TV and eating junk food. But if you think weed is hard to quit then you probably don't have the willpower to do any of that either.

The scientists doing this research don't have a clue either. Most of them probably have zero life experience. They need to realize the same thing you 'addicts' do.

If I had some more money I would wait for the stock to peak and then short it. Discovering a new drug always pumps up stock prices for a bit. Pretty soon they'll realize that there is zero market for this drug.

OfflineZunox1
Habitual Line Stepper
Male

Loc: Arizona
Re: Plant extract may block cannabis addiction [Re: fastfred]
    #6956616 - 05/23/07 12:37 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Quote:

fastfred said:
First you have to get rid of your weed smoking buddies. Then you need something to keep you busy, perhaps a job or some goals. It's as easy as that.

I did that when i needed to quit smoking, and it worked. football season rolled around at school and i found out that they could drug test me, and i got scared so i stopped smoking it. football sucked up most of my free time, so i couldn't smoke, or hang out with my smoking buddies.
but then again, i don't really have an addicting personality... i stopped smoking cigarettes (cold turkey) without any heavy side effects.

But, hey, if it works on rats it's gotta work on peoples!! (sarcasm)

--------------------
Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Offlinebiggysmall
Stranger
Male

Re: Plant extract may block cannabis addiction [Re: Zunox1]
    #6956791 - 05/23/07 01:16 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

im not saying people cant get mentally addictive to weed... but what im trying to say is that....... people should be focusing on addictions like heroin and alchohal and all that shit...you know.. doing all these marijuana studies and trying to cure people of there addiction is stupid.... if you want to quit marijuana you can.,... i know its a strugle but its not terribly difficult thing to do....and even if you cant quit its not terribly controling of your life ... when you have a heroin addiction it controls your life..... i just think people should focus on some serious addictions and not the half ass marijuana addiction... im not trying to be ignorant... i also think that this just feeds the properganda........ you know scientist have finallly come up with ways to cure that "evil" marijuana addiction people will just suck on that like leaches

OfflinePurple_spore
Compulsively Skeptical OG
Male User Gallery

Loc: nor cal
Re: Plant extract may block cannabis addiction [Re: Zunox1]
    #6956818 - 05/23/07 01:22 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

I say cannabis helps deal/hide away suppressed memories. I don't necessarily think thats a bad thing. I've been on multiple anti-depressants and anti-psychotics. and all of them made me feel like shit and cost a LOT of money way more money than weed. I feel it gives me the most amount of anti-depressant effects with the least amount of *uncomfortable* side effects. It's addictive to feel good all the time, period. Now I used to have a meth problem and I see a clear difference in addiction property's in the two drugs. Methamphetamine clearly has more of a dompamergenic response and is incomparably more addictive in the pleasure department. Though It's all in your head with ether drugs. If you really want to get technical ALL drug addiction is all in your head. Very few drugs can kill you from withdraws. Heroin and opiates is what most people have a great problem with (including myself) but still all in your head.

--------------------
Safety first children :thumbup:

Offlinebiggysmall
Stranger
Male

Re: Plant extract may block cannabis addiction [Re: Purple_spore]
    #6956843 - 05/23/07 01:28 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

off topic but ive never asked someone personally what a meth addiction is like... can you give me a brief summary of your expeirience....

and honestly i believe drugs cause depression... anti depressents are shit.. if a heavy drug user gets of drugs.. and they are depressed at the time... there depression usually goes away

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#6956938 - 05/23/07 01:55 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

The phrase "physically addicting" is somewhat of a misnomer.

It implies that there is a physical, and biological mechanism which leads to "addiction". While their are many hypotheses about the cause of "addiction", the reality is that a lot of factors are involved, many of which have little or no physical basis.

"Physical dependence", and "physical withdrawal" do not imply someone is "addicted" to a particular substance.

In an experimental sense, self administration is usually used as an indicator of the abusive potential of a drug. Since it is difficult to produce self administration of cannabis in lab animals, it seems that it would be easy to extinguish the behavior.

Thus, it makes sense to see if you can reverse the abuse liability of an "easy" drug, and then move on to "harder" ones.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

Offlinepabloescabar
Stranger thanyou
 User Gallery

Re: Plant extract may block cannabis addiction [Re: badchad]
    #6957037 - 05/23/07 02:17 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

Thank god theres a cure! Now the pharmaceutical companies can capitalize on people being sent to "marijuana rehab" I had to quit because I got put on probation and now when people smoke in front of me I'm just like damn that sucks i wish i could do that. addictive my ass for people that say its addictive i just want to beat you to death with a carton of smokes

--------------------

Offlinebiggysmall
Stranger
Male

Re: Plant extract may block cannabis addiction [Re: pabloescabar]
    #6957064 - 05/23/07 02:22 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

well good luck with that

Offlinestew248
Stranger

Re: Plant extract may block cannabis addiction [Re: Arp]
    #6957504 - 05/23/07 04:18 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

A similar point has probably already been made but, cheeseburgers are also addictive. Have you seen some of these fat fuckers? Now theres an addiction that will kill you.

--------------------

Offlinetamshack
Stranger
Re: Plant extract may block cannabis addiction [Re: stew248]
    #6957996 - 05/23/07 06:25 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

So uh... does this new drug also inhibit dopamine rises in other natural enjoyable activities, like maybe visiting loved ones? I really don't like the idea of a drug that inhibits the increase of dopamine

OfflinePurple_spore
Compulsively Skeptical OG
Male User Gallery

Loc: nor cal
    #6958551 - 05/23/07 08:21 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

It's like anytime you hear the word meth you lose contact with reality. If I ever see a glass dick or shards of crystal, imagine the feeling of finding 300 dollars on the ground. If i see it on TV where someone is using meth I have a strong craving for it, it never escapes me. When I first started using I hated the comedown so much I really didn't like using, but when I got so used to staying up all night in bed I almost lost control. I told myself I'd never sink to shooting up a drug but alas, I shot up dope. Found it mildly difficult to say no if offered. I've searched on the ground for little pieces of meth that were never there, it seem acceptable at the time. God I crave it almost every day, even now talking about it is painful. The true way to combat addiction............. move to a town with no old contacts no friends and no money, you WILL stay off drugs. I just got lucky and found someone who gets delivered a pound a month from a major city so I got weed and I wouldn't have any other drug period. I have no problem quiting marijuana when I absolutely need to. But I never want to.

p.s I think drug for nicotine cessation are fucking retarded. The only problems with cigarettes are mental. I've been forced to quit at times cold-turkey. It's all about seeing the glass half full.

--------------------
Safety first children :thumbup:

Edited by Purple_spore (05/23/07 08:27 PM)

Invisiblefastfred
Old Hand
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Dark side of the moon
Re: Plant extract may block cannabis addiction [Re: Purple_spore]
    #6959412 - 05/23/07 10:56 PM (13 years, 2 months ago)

> The phrase "physically addicting" is somewhat of a misnomer.

Not really. There are physical addictions which produce medical sideffects and there are mental addictions which produce behavioral side effects. "Mental addiction" is the misnomer in almost all cases. There are OCD style mental addictions and then there are things that you just like to do. OCD is far different than every bullshit thing that they want to call a "mental addiction".

> It implies that there is a physical, and biological mechanism which leads to "addiction".

There is. That's the whole point of the term "physical addiction".

> "Physical dependence", and "physical withdrawal" do not imply someone is "addicted" to a particular substance.

Yes they do. The alternative is defining addiction in the ridiculous manner you and many others suggest.

> In an experimental sense, self administration is usually used as an indicator of the abusive potential of a drug.

This is called "drug seeking behavior" and there is a current trend among WOD supporters to define anything that produces it as "addictive".

Of course, you run into a lot of problems with that definition. Anything that is pleasant or serves a purpose and is not unpleasant falls into that category.

If you agree with that definition then the only drugs that should be legal are the unpleasant ones. The FDA already has that problem. The only drugs that can be approved are drugs that treat a "condition" or disease. It isn't even theoretically possible to get a drug approved that would simply improve the human condition or just be pleasurable. This eliminates huge areas of research that might benefit mankind, but don't treat any specific disease.

Offlinebiggysmall
Stranger
Male

Re: Plant extract may block cannabis addiction [Re: fastfred]
    #6959962 - 05/24/07 02:20 AM (13 years, 2 months ago)

alchohal has a great pysical addiction... a guy i know whos about 40 used to drink beer all day every day..... he then tried to quit..... he had migranes, threw up a shit load.... he wound up havin to go to the hospital... almost died

Jump to top. Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds, Feminized Cannabis Seeds, High THC Strains, USA West Coast Strains   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale, Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Kratom Powder for Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals, CBD Capsules, CBD Edibles, CBD Oils, CBD Topicals

Feedback and Administration >> Shroomery News Service