Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinegreenlight
greenlight
Loc: USA
URGENT question about substrate.
    #689571 - 06/20/02 02:47 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I am using the max.fruiting formula of 6ccs water, 1/4cup BRF, 1/2cup vermiculite...

It seems that when I add these quantities together, I get enough substrate mix for TWO jars....Is this right??

--------------------
Disclaimer: Everything I've typed is of a fictional nature.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineTrippingBillies
SpaceCruiser
Loc: Pangea
Re: URGENT question about substrate. [Re: greenlight]
    #689591 - 06/20/02 03:03 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Hey one jar contains 1/4 cup water, 1/4 cup brown rice, 1/2 cup vermiculite. Spoon the substrate into the jar and then slam it down on the table or counter a couple times. After doing this several times all the formula should fit into the jar and leave about 1/2-1/4 inch of space for the dry vermiculite which need not be measured. Mix each jars formula seperately to keep measurements and distribution of ingredients even.

--------------------
"It's so obvious it's hard to understand."

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
Re: URGENT question about substrate. [Re: TrippingBillies]
    #689786 - 06/20/02 05:32 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

>Mix each jars formula seperately to keep measurements and distribution of ingredients even.

Bullshit. It?s nuch better if you mix the whole batch at once.
Check out http://www.geocities.com/kickme_to_mushrooms/pf/pf_en.htm .

OfflineMillencolin
journeyman
Re: URGENT question about substrate. [Re: TrippingBillies]
    #689824 - 06/20/02 05:46 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

That seems to be a pretty tightly packed substrate, I'd recommend leaving it loose providing the mycellium easier access to air, promoting quicker colonization.

--------------------
I saw you today on the number twelve bus,
you were going my way

OfflineElendril
Re: URGENT question about substrate. [Re: Millencolin]
    #690580 - 06/20/02 01:06 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Ok, now I'm not a pro like some people on this site, but I've had a lot of problems when packing the substrate down. I did a test with 8 jars, 4 packed tightly and another 4 loosely loaded. The packed ones didn't even colonize at all, they just molded after about 2 weeks. Just a personal observation, but I would suggest spooning the substrate into the jars, then just lightly tapping it down.

Elendril

Offlinegreenlight
greenlight
Loc: USA
Re: URGENT question about substrate. [Re: Millencolin]
    #694497 - 06/22/02 02:51 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Yeah, I couldn't get all of what he said into each jar...If I tried to, I would have had to pack it down, which I didn't want to do (and didn't end up doing..)

--------------------
Disclaimer: Everything I've typed is of a fictional nature.

OfflineKingBolete
enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast
Re: URGENT question about substrate. [Re: Anno]
    #694861 - 06/22/02 05:30 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Hey there,

Anno, I read the tek on the link you posted and the data about the mixing rates and multiples thereof is good common sense information. I am a little confused about the recommended temperatures of the environment during the colonization process. That tek recommended 70-80F for the colonization temperature range. I have read from 70F to 86F (21.1C to 30C). Some of the vendors list the colonization temperatures in the 82-86F range...is there that much difference in the mycelium development within the jars during colonization at 77F than say 84F? Let the voice of experience speak here please since when it comes to this I have absolutely no real experience dealing with this specific issue. This is sort of like the colonize in the light or dark question...there seems to some variability in the data available to those of us doing "research"....

Best regards,

KingBolete

Invisiblepsyconaut
NASA trainedpsychonaut
Loc: The Great White North
Re: URGENT question about substrate. [Re: KingBolete]
    #694971 - 06/22/02 06:08 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I'd stick to temps in the low 80s over temps in the 70s from my experience. I even recently did a control test where room temp is in generally in the 70s and inncubator around 82-84F. Inccubator colonized fast while the room temp was VERY slow...

-psyconaut

--------------------
It may look like a button mushroom right now, but wait until you see how it grows!

OfflineKingBolete
enthusiast

Loc: Gulf Coast
Re: URGENT question about substrate. [Re: psyconaut]
    #695662 - 06/23/02 05:26 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Hey there,

That sounds like the kind of data I am looking for...my results have been in a space where it varies from 78-86F and it is rather dry. Things seem to be doing well in that environment and I did not have to build a chamber....but I will in the winter and have to come in to fruit I would think. Ever put a jar in the fridge overnite or a few hours to cold shock it to help pinning and fruiting?

Best regards,

KingBolete

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Capsules   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix