Home | Community | Message Board

World Seed Supply
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSyriss162
Stranger
 User Gallery

help my tiny mushrooms!
    #6939619 - 05/19/07 06:34 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Sorry no pics yet, but heres my situation:

I'm currently on my 4th casing ever- I knocked up some WBS with Brazilian multi-spore, the 10 quart jars colonized fully in 2 weeks being kept at 84 degrees F in my incubator.

I cased with a pasteurized 3/4 inch layer of 80 percent MGMC 20 percent chunky verm mix brought up to 7.5 ph with some hydrated lime. My substrate was 3 inches deep. I followed hyphae's pinning strat and have a decently uniform pinset. I say decent because some grew a little faster than others (I blame the multi spore).

I have about 60 tiny mushrooms about 3-4 inches tall but they are all starting to have their veils tear.

Now, I've read that small mushrooms are usually the result of not enough water in the substrate. I didnt think it was that dry, and being the first flush saw no need to do a dunk before exposing to fruiting conditions. Was this a mistake? I've never had to do that before...only after the first flush.

They are fruiting in a modified double tub type setup. Basically they are cased in a disposable aluminum tray (I know, dont use aluminum, Ill change that next time, dont need more of that in our systems) which sits within a tub with 2 1 inch holes on the top, and 6 3/4 inch holes around the bottom. Now, last time I did a casing I did a traditional double tub where the water would evaporate, and then drip down the sides back into the casing. However, I had problems with mushrooms growing up through the polyfill and getting all nasty.

Now, I've still been fanning and lightly misting afterwords 3 times a day, but I'm thinking this might not be returning water fast enough to the substrate. Does this sound like it could be the case?

Is there anything I can do right now to help them out? Or do I just need to wait until this flush finishes and then dunk the casing, sprinkle on some casing material to cover patches, mist back to near saturation and pray for better luck on the next flush?

Some of my friends are saying its just because brazilians are generally smaller fruits, but I'm just used to getting 6+ inch mushrooms with significantly larger caps.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: help my tiny mushrooms! [Re: Syriss162]
    #6939676 - 05/19/07 06:46 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

I say wait till the flush is done and than dunk

Offlinexaxphaanes
Mycologist
 User Gallery

Re: help my tiny mushrooms! [Re: Blutjager]
    #6939869 - 05/19/07 07:25 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

if they are short and really skinny then it is due to fae if they are short and fat it could be genetics or moisture in the substrate

--------------------
"Anything i say is fictional"
  what you should look for in manure

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck