Home | Community | Message Board

Everything Mushrooms
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon Microscope, Perlite, Petri Dish, Vermiculite

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleGoodbyeOrb
Self-SacrificingPotency Tester
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Looking for a Microscope...
    #6930221 - 05/17/07 03:08 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

That can take pics, and is good for the money. Any suggestions?

--------------------

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Invisiblejeetered
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: no clue
Re: Looking for a Microscope... [Re: GoodbyeOrb]
    #6930933 - 05/17/07 06:40 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

U.S.Robotics used to make a wicked cool 1200x's that was USB.

these go about 300x's

http://www.compuvisor.com/qx5diblmicom.html?gclid=CIbD04SilowCFQkTgQodGWgrzw

i can get them with better aperatures, but they'll cost about 200 instead of 100

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Looking for a Microscope... [Re: jeetered]
    #6931119 - 05/17/07 07:32 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

If you want good pics, get ready to spend some bucks. I've got a few cheapies that just sit on the shelf, and never get used anymore. You won't get quality for less than $1,000 and that's the low end. A decent C-mount microscope camera is going to cost $2,000 just for the camera. In fact, the camera will cost more than the scope. You can pick up a pretty good scope for $1,000 whether you want zoom or light microscope. I actually use my zoom more than the light in mycology. The zoom microscope is great for looking at mycelium on petri dishes, gills on mushrooms, and other stuff like that. If you want to see on the cellular level, you'll need a light microscope and a box of slides and covers.

I had a whole section on microscopy filmed for my video, but had to cut it out because there just wasn't enough room on the 2 dvd set for it. Perhaps it will fit into one of the future releases. I'm already working on the next one.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleGoodbyeOrb
Self-SacrificingPotency Tester
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Looking for a Microscope... [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6931155 - 05/17/07 07:44 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks guys! Yeah i'm after a bit more quality than the $100 USB from the smithsonian or whatever, but not trying to drop 3000 either. I want zoom, not light, as i don't need it. What's a stereo microscope? Thanks.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Looking for a Microscope... [Re: GoodbyeOrb] * 1
    #6932040 - 05/17/07 11:09 PM (13 years, 11 months ago)

Stereo microscopes are for looking at something from the top. The lens and the light are on the same side of the object you're viewing. Stereo microscopes are for looking at gems, coins, bugs, and mycelium on a petri dish to examine for contaminants, etc.

A zoom microscope is a stereo microscope with an adjustment to vary the magnification without changing lenses. Maximum magnification with stereo-zoom and zoom microscopes is usually around 20X to 30X. I have a pretty high end zoom microscope that goes to 50X, but the field of view at that magnification is pretty darn small, defeating the purpose of using a stereo microscope in the first place.

A light microscope has the light on the opposite side of the lens from the object you're viewing, thus you see the light that shines through the object. Laboratory and medical microscopes are the light type. If you want to examine the internal structure of spores, or view mycelium to look for the number of nuclei in each cell or to look for clamp connections, you'll want a light microscope.

If you order a stereo microscope, be sure to get LED lights, even if they're more expensive. Coin collectors and jewlers can use the cheaper halogen that seems to be standard on stereo microscopes, but the heat will cook your mycelium, and if you look at something inside a petri dish, the dish fogs up in three or four seconds from the heat, blocking your view.

There's some pictures taken with a light microscope on my website on the introduction to mycology page http://www.mushroomvideos.com/1811640.html along with the mushroom gill shots which were taken with a zoom microscope, and the basidia pictures at the bottom of the page were taken with a scanning electron microscope. The pictures of verm and perlite in this thread http://www.shroomery.org/forums/showflat.php/Number/6610766#Post6610766 were taken with a stereo zoom microscope.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   North Spore Cultivation Supplies, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Amazon Microscope, Perlite, Petri Dish, Vermiculite

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation