Home | Community | Message Board

Sporeworks
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleCubeHead
Stranger

Severe Anxiety
    #6907708 - 05/12/07 10:13 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

I have experienced severe anxiety for the majority of my life.  It has been so severe in fact that it has led to homelessness multiple times, caused me to loose employment too many times to count, ruined relationships and impeded me from what I want to do in life.

Anyhow, I know we all have our sob stories, its just that anxiety so bad that you cant walk by a stranger without feeling like you need to run, or being totally unable to walk into crowds or stores you like without extreme discomfort for no logical reason is very frustrating.

I was wondering what those of you out there who can relate to this do to help yourselves through the rough times, what you do to work through it and overcome it.

thanks for any input.:smirk:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

Re: Severe Anxiety [Re: CubeHead]
    #6907925 - 05/12/07 11:09 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

I've had some bad anxiety issues in the past, that I have largely overcome, although it occasionally still appears as a reminder to slow the fuck down and breathe... It sounds like yours may be a bit more extreme than mine was. I dealt with mine over the long term by thinking through it I suppose, by analysing my thought processes and triggers and trying to understand where it came from, why, and to rationalize myself through it by always reminding myself that it was an innapropriate, maladaptive response to stress. For me, a large part of it was learning how to communicate with people. The more I could do it, the more confident I got that I could do it, and the less anxiety I had which made it easier to do!:smirk:

Another thing was challenging everything I accepted and believed about the world and reality as a whole, in order to really dig down deep and understand myself, to find my strength. At the core, of course, is an uncompromising commitment to explore, nurture and honour what I found in my heart, upon careful listening. This is an ongoing process, the entire basis of my approach to living. I strive to maintain a sense of centre, of groundedness. It's a rather physical feeling for me, not just a concept. I feel it in my body. I visualize my body being aligned and relaxed. I like to imagine there is a tree growing through me.

I also had this sort of metaphor for my anxiety, where I would transform it into a ball of fire in my stomache, and shoot it out my fingers like lightning bolts. Fear can be transformed into excitement and passion if it can be urged to move out of its hidey-hole in the pit of one's gut.

Eating a balanced, whole food diet is important as well. Nutrition is the basis of physical and mental health and it is near impossible to find one's balance and strength without consistent nourishment. I would also recommend researching herbal medicines that calm the nerves, such as st. john's wort, passionflower, borage, california poppy, etc... These aren't going to solve all your problems for you, only hard work will, but they make a lovely companion in a holistic approach to healing.

Good luck and remember that it's ok to be exactly where you are, as long as you not content with stagnation, but rather are opening yourself to growth!

Offlinesoulcircus
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Re: Severe Anxiety *DELETED* [Re: NiamhNyx]
    #6908579 - 05/13/07 03:35 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Post deleted by soulcircus

Reason for deletion: .

Offlinetools_n_corpses
why did i choosethis name
Male

Re: Severe Anxiety [Re: soulcircus]
    #6909194 - 05/13/07 09:28 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Check that you:

-- get exercise. Go for a daily walk around town/forests for a few hours. I definitely recommend forests or nature reserves. Take some music on an iPod/mp3 player with you - try Desderii Marginis and Biosphere. Better yet, jog a few laps around an oval, or work-out to a small extent with some dumbells: http://www.optimafitness.co.uk/shopscr316.html

-- eat healthy. Wholegrain cereal in the morning. Apples. Mandarins. Rice/rice crackers. A few glasses of juice a day - breakfast juice/apple juice/multivitamin juice. A bit of meat in your sandwiches at lunch; ham, chicken. Tomatoes & lettuce. Drink decaf tea. Good to get some cheese in there somehow, and some milk.

-- take a men's multivitamin (assuming you're male). Go to a health/vitamin store and tell them you want a multivitamin complex. You'll feel much better.

-- take ginseng tablets to get you through the day. I take one called "Synergy". Ginseng increases energy while also relieving stress. Available at health/vitamin stores. There are others out there and I have no idea if Ginseng is all that top notch, but it does the job for me. I've heard Kanna is the best way to go, but you'll have to buy online.

-- take Melatonin to get to sleep. Keep the dosage low. It will give you very very refreshing sleep. A lot of anxiety creeps up from poor sleep quality. It will also make you feel generally healthier.

-- if you feel your problem stems from existential or philosophical issues, look into Alan Watts. He's situated inbetween Eastern and Western thought and is a great person to get you started on a realistic perspective on life & existence.

This should get you started. Solving your problems is ultimately in your hands however. Your Willpower is at the centre of anything you do.

Good luck.

--------------------
"Misery only doth exist, none miserable,

No doer is there; naught save the deed is found.

Nirvana is, but not the man who seeks it.

The Path exists, but not the traveler on it.
"

Invisiblereflectedlight
in town untilthe blood flows
 User Gallery

Loc: aether
Re: Severe Anxiety [Re: soulcircus]
    #6909207 - 05/13/07 09:31 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

stay busier, work your body to exhaustion, take a hot shower and do some yoga, read til you fall asleep.

intermingle positive relationships into the work and day and night including:
dog you love
love relationship
love
nature bonding

also, eat organic, eat local, eat no preservatives or high fructose corn syrup or processed goods

work for yourself or something you support ideallogically

love yourself, knowing you are interconnected with all, and are a fractal of which you are part of. peace

--------------------
at this point i think we can be relatively certain seperation exists as a fallacy of finite perception, and the only barrier to infinite creativity is a preimposed notion of certainty and artificial conditioning. nothing is without origin

InvisibleCubeHead
Stranger

Re: Severe Anxiety [Re: reflectedlight]
    #6910061 - 05/13/07 02:11 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Hey,

thanks alot for all the suggestions, its really appreciated.

Soulcircus said:
Quote:

its a shame anti-depressants are out there to trick you into thinking there isnt a problem until it goes so far back you forget about it.

Yes, i've found that can be the case with a great deal of medications that psychiatrists are prescribing these days. It's almost as though our culture values repressing such things over working through them, a quick fix if you will, and a shoddy one at that often times.

In Joseph Campbell's The Power of Myth there is a chapter named "Schizophrenia-the journey inward", wherein he mentions some really interesting ideas reguarding the repression of traumatic psychological states as a sort of anti-shamanic approach that in some cases can actually exacerbate the "problem." And that often times, periods of crises, end in a sort of liberation, or rising above the previous existential plateau, in signifigance and insight, if one is allowed to fully experience the event, within a proper setting.

The chapter can be found here, its quite long though, but well worth the read.

http://introspectives.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1222&sid=1fe599a009f5eb060696a43e3a759e29

OfflineSterile
mushroom lover
 User Gallery

Loc: under the Amanita
    #6910084 - 05/13/07 02:20 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

...or... you can simply eat some Amanitas, and feel the divine extacy of the divine Nirvana....its the ultimate shame-ego-killer and makes you calm, even in the worse circumstances

In small doses, that is

:regularshroom:

--------------------
The Source Of The Force
Is The Power Of The Mind

"if you don't like what you're doing, you can always pick up your needle and move to another groove." - timothy leary"
Anno: "-I can do anything with those clouds!"
Annos Tek

OfflineSterile
mushroom lover
 User Gallery

Re: Severe Anxiety [Re: Sterile]
    #6910099 - 05/13/07 02:23 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

plus, you have NO hangover, and you can easily maintain the teachings after your trip...

--------------------
The Source Of The Force
Is The Power Of The Mind

"if you don't like what you're doing, you can always pick up your needle and move to another groove." - timothy leary"
Annos Tek

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

Re: Severe Anxiety [Re: Sterile]
    #6910192 - 05/13/07 02:59 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Hmm, I'm pretty much NOT into the tendency of some entheogen advocates to believe the answer to all of life's problems is a trip. It worries me, because such an attitude can and frequently does lead to overuse and abuse, and exacerbated mental problems. There is much to be learned from the psychedelic experience, however, it is vital to be able to explore oneself sober and not rely on the sacraments as the only door into the psyche.

Invisiblelukeboots
fresh futuristic
Male User Gallery
Loc: Grand Ole Operating Syste...
Re: Severe Anxiety [Re: tools_n_corpses]
    #6910290 - 05/13/07 03:36 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

tools_n_corpses said:
Check that you:

-- get exercise. Go for a daily walk around town/forests for a few hours. I definitely recommend forests or nature reserves. Take some music on an iPod/mp3 player with you - try Desderii Marginis and Biosphere. Better yet, jog a few laps around an oval, or work-out to a small extent with some dumbells: http://www.optimafitness.co.uk/shopscr316.html

-- eat healthy. Wholegrain cereal in the morning. Apples. Mandarins. Rice/rice crackers. A few glasses of juice a day - breakfast juice/apple juice/multivitamin juice. A bit of meat in your sandwiches at lunch; ham, chicken. Tomatoes & lettuce. Drink decaf tea. Good to get some cheese in there somehow, and some milk.

-- take a men's multivitamin (assuming you're male). Go to a health/vitamin store and tell them you want a multivitamin complex. You'll feel much better.

-- take ginseng tablets to get you through the day. I take one called "Synergy". Ginseng increases energy while also relieving stress. Available at health/vitamin stores. There are others out there and I have no idea if Ginseng is all that top notch, but it does the job for me. I've heard Kanna is the best way to go, but you'll have to buy online.

-- take Melatonin to get to sleep. Keep the dosage low. It will give you very very refreshing sleep. A lot of anxiety creeps up from poor sleep quality. It will also make you feel generally healthier.

-- if you feel your problem stems from existential or philosophical issues, look into Alan Watts. He's situated inbetween Eastern and Western thought and is a great person to get you started on a realistic perspective on life & existence.

This should get you started. Solving your problems is ultimately in your hands however. Your Willpower is at the centre of anything you do.

Good luck.

Holy cow, that's some solid advice. :thumbup: Five for you!

--------------------

funky ass music: Planet of Dinosaurs // Rich Whiskey

Invisiblereflectedlight
in town untilthe blood flows
 User Gallery

Loc: aether
Re: Severe Anxiety [Re: NiamhNyx]
    #6910335 - 05/13/07 03:54 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

NiamhNyx said:
such an attitude can and frequently does lead to overuse and abuse, and exacerbated mental problems.

isn't this sort of a blessing psilocybin bestows - non dependency forming, as in tolerance forming at a very high rate?

i agree with your overall sentiment though; a transition from veggies/fruits/lentils/grain to veggie juice to water/oxygen/sunlight/prana
peace

--------------------
at this point i think we can be relatively certain seperation exists as a fallacy of finite perception, and the only barrier to infinite creativity is a preimposed notion of certainty and artificial conditioning. nothing is without origin

OfflineNiamhNyx
I'm NOT a 'he'
Female User Gallery

Re: Severe Anxiety [Re: reflectedlight]
    #6910399 - 05/13/07 04:21 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Except that some people have psychological dependency, like they feel the only way to gain insight or explore themselves is through psilocybin or mescaline or whatever, and neglect sober work thinking that they can't possibly be as aware without the external help. Of course I don't think there's anything wrong with taking psychedelics (I obviously wouldn't be here if I did.) I think they can be incredible, powerful allies. It just bugs me when someone is like "i have this problem" and the answer is always "dose yourself with this or that" rather than "it seems like these themes could use some exploration, breathe, trust yourself, pay attention and you will know what you need to do..."

Offlinejonathanseagull
Cool!
Male

Re: Severe Anxiety [Re: tools_n_corpses]
    #6910457 - 05/13/07 04:42 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

tools_n_corpses said:

That's me, right there. I've watched some Alan Watts videos online that were completely amazing. I need to add some of his books to the stack that I have and plan to read. Thanks for the suggestions.

--------------------
Loving in truth, and fain in verse my love to show, That the dear She might take some pleasure of my pain: Pleasure might cause her read, reading might make her know, Knowledge might pity win, and pity grace obtain.

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #6911603 - 05/13/07 09:33 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

CubeHead said:
I have experienced severe anxiety for the majority of my life.  It has been so severe in fact that it has led to homelessness multiple times, caused me to loose employment too many times to count, ruined relationships and impeded me from what I want to do in life.

Anyhow, I know we all have our sob stories, its just that anxiety so bad that you cant walk by a stranger without feeling like you need to run, or being totally unable to walk into crowds or stores you like without extreme discomfort for no logical reason is very frustrating.

I was wondering what those of you out there who can relate to this do to help yourselves through the rough times, what you do to work through it and overcome it.

thanks for any input.:smirk:

I grew up with anxiety problems. Not to the extent you speak of it seems but still enough to feel like my life was shit. Knowing what I know now at 54 I would learn to breath. I would practice deep breathing until nothing could interfere with it. I would practice it in my sleep if I could. Then little by little I would approach the things that caused my anxiety and work my way into them. In the end deep breathing and relaxation were keys to whatever success I have had. And a willingness and desire to overcome my anxiety as best as I was able. Good luck.

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

OfflineToddo
Stranger
Male

#6912287 - 05/14/07 12:33 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

I get so sick of the random people saying to take some massive dose of mushrooms or acid. Thats not always the answer. (especially for mental health issues) In fact, I might be so bold to say it rarely is. The answer will not come from one source over night. But it will come with balance and working thought all the layers of your life.

First and for most, you must know your not alone. Most of us have dealt with anxiety on many levels. Yours seems like its on the more extreme end. But whatever the case, it matters not. We must look at it as a whole and slowly start to chop down at it.

Remember the first few things:

Exercise. Especially Cardio exercises like long distants running. You don't need to be some skinny guy to get into it. Any size, just run slower and keep a constant pace. The key to this is you stay on it and turn it into a routine. Then its easy to keep up with it. Maybe 3-4 times a week. (run for a good hour each work out)Even more once you get used to it.

socialize: I know, thats the hard part. Its going to be painful, scary and stressful but you need to force your self into it. Start small. Just go somewhere you would not normally go. So if you fuck up, you have no lasting worry about people remembering you. As you walk, try and greet a few people with a smile and a friendly hello. Might sound weird but most people are more then happy to receive a warm greeting from a fellow stranger. You would be surprised how friendly many of those people can be. If you have any friends, try to hang out with them more. Go to bars. Get a drink and practice talking to people. You can start to disprove all those predispositions you had on peoples thoughts. You will slowly see that all those people are just like you. Everyones just going about their daily experiences and rarely even mind their own surroundings.

Learn: Education is key in this. Learn how things work. Other animals, the mind, the body and society. I'm not saying go back to school or anything, but in the evening, throw on a goggle video about a subject of interest. learn about humans and how they work. It can demystify a lot of what you feel and see in other people. But learning in generally is going to help keep your brain busy digesting new information instead of wallowing in thoughts of anxiety. Books, documentary's, magazine articles. Don't ever stop feeding your mind with new information.

And a final few words. You need to be constant about working out, practicing talking with people and everything else you do on your road out of the world your in right now. You can use metaphors for dealing with your anxiety. Turn it into an object or symbol. Pinning it onto and visualization can help you focus your self on pushing it back. Someone said that emotion of fear is very near to excitement. I can't agree more. I was actually in a situation that was starting to cause extreme anxiety. During the experience I felt a slight stir of excitement. I grabbed onto that feeling with all I had and my whole mind shifted to that mind set. Try and turn fear into its neighbor feelings.

Good luck on your journey and know you are but one of many, all walking the path.

--------------------
Shroomery Composition Contest

OfflineSterile
mushroom lover
 User Gallery

Re: Severe Anxiety [Re: NiamhNyx]
    #6913707 - 05/14/07 11:14 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Having "Severe Anxiety" as the title of this thread implies...is a kind of mental emergency....  the faster you treat the cause/symptoms the less damage to your mental and physical structure...

I agree that doing it sober is the way to go, but if you are still weak and not smart enough to do it right now, then you need the "plants of power", the short route to health improvement.....

Its all a matter of energy, loose it, and you got to suck some back asap! Then, you start looking at what you did wrong, in order to not repeat the same mistake...:regularshroom:

For me it's quite obvious why all these millions of medicinal properties hide inside this wonderfull and mysterious plant kingdom..

--------------------
The Source Of The Force
Is The Power Of The Mind

Annos Tek

Edited by Sterile (05/14/07 11:19 AM)

InvisibleCubeHead
Stranger

Re: Severe Anxiety [Re: Toddo]
    #6914358 - 05/14/07 01:40 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

NiamhNyx said
Quote:

Hmm, I'm pretty much NOT into the tendency of some entheogen advocates to believe the answer to all of life's problems is a trip. It worries me, because such an attitude can and frequently does lead to overuse and abuse, and exacerbated mental problems. There is much to be learned from the psychedelic experience, however, it is vital to be able to explore oneself sober and not rely on the sacraments as the only door into the psyche.

Toddo said
Quote:

I get so sick of the random people saying to take some massive dose of mushrooms or acid. Thats not always the answer.

I totally agree, things are not black and white, there are far too many variables to insinuate that there is only one way, or a cure all to the problems we all face. Thats not to say that various substances cant be cathartic, but as you mention, there is a great danger in ascribing too much to such things, definitely something to be weary of, i agree. I didn't intend this thread to be seen this way. I'm thinking perhaps that the mentioning of amanitas by another sparked that quote. I'm sure amanitas could help some, not all, perhaps hurt some. I stray clear of deliriants myself.

yes with reguards to anxiety, primarily in my case, the most important volitional work is done in a sober state, the information reguarding healthy lifestyle and forced interaction with situations that make one uncomfortable is exactly what i've been looking for....

tools_n_corpses said
Quote:

I enjoy his works, especially his writings on Advaita Vedanta and Buddhism. In some cases it is an existential dillema that causes symptoms of mental illness, i've even had a therapist that was convinced that that was a major cause of my issues...she was however a jungian therapist, so I would assume she would be prone to such interpretations.

Also, I've tried many, many medications, and for some strange reason, they do not work well for me, in fact they are rather a burden more often than not, this is not meant to discourage others from trying them, they can and do help many people, including some very close relatives of mine.

I do however wish psychiatrists weren't so hasty to jump into medications, I've seen far too many doctors not even consider diet, exercise, and therapy, before prescribing very potent medications.

Edited by CubeHead (05/14/07 01:57 PM)

Offlineonlynow
transformativeinformativeenergy
Male User Gallery

#6918043 - 05/14/07 11:46 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

smoking weed gives me anxiety.. it puts me into a totally different state of mind then everybody else and im just on a completely different wavelength. very introspective.

if you smoke i would quit. also if you drink caffeine i would quit.

exercise a lot, get a good cardiovascular work out... run up a mountain. it realllly helps.

good luck man.

--------------------

Strive to be more than a codified manifestation of a generalized technological consciousness

InvisibleTODAY
Battletoad
Male

Loc: Metropolis City, USA
    #6919404 - 05/15/07 11:18 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Don't leave the house and you won't have social anxieties.  Or, when you are out always listen to music on your headphones, that way you can avoid social interaction.  Both of these work for me, but if you are trying to get over it I suggest you try something else.  :shrug:

--------------------

ca'rouse (k-rouz)
intr.v.
To engage in boisterous, drunken merrymaking.

OfflineToddo
Stranger
Male

Re: Severe Anxiety [Re: TODAY]
    #6919866 - 05/15/07 01:04 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

heh... I think the ideal situation is take care of the problem instead of avoiding it.

--------------------
Shroomery Composition Contest

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract