Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomMan Mycology
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineshr00matik
Stranger

Rye Flour PF Cakes / Also, blue myc water, wtf?
    #6919321 - 05/15/07 10:45 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

I went a little ahead of myself and went with casings for my first grow, but I kinda jumped the gun too soon and bought a shitload of rye after my first jars colonized so quickly. Unfortunately I lost my first grow to the mean greany so I decided to take a step back and tackle some PF Cakes before I attempt casings again.

Since I had over 30 pounds of rye laying around I ground it up and substituted BRF for grounded rye. I followed the 'PF Tek for Simple Minds' tek, as far as ingrediants, and simply substituted ground rye for BRF. I injected 12 pint jars last night using myc water I made from one of my other rye jars earlier.

Hopefully I'll get a nice yield with the cakes instead of losing all of my grow to contamination :smile:

Any suggestions and/or tips would be great.

Also, yesterday I made another jar of myc water using another fully colonized rye jar. I did the same method as my first jar of myc water: Pressure cooked a half pint jar full of distilled water, injected the distilled water into the cake jar, shook it up for a good few minutes, sucked it back up and injected back into the distilled water, then taped the holes with masking tape wiped with rubbing alcohol. It looked great, so I set it in my closet. When I checked back on it later on (about 30 minutes later), the myc water turned neon blue. It wasn't green, it was blue. I was so surprised I didn't even wanna bother with it so I tossed it. Could it just have been badly bruised some how? I didn't shake it any more than I did the other one.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlineexagram
Phear the shroom
 User Gallery

Re: Rye Flour PF Cakes / Also, blue myc water, wtf? [Re: shr00matik]
    #6919328 - 05/15/07 10:49 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

No reason why rye flour shouldn't work as well as rice flour. Good luck with that.

--------------------
Raoul Duke: What Leary took down with him was the central illusion of a whole lifestyle that he helped create - a generation of permanent cripples, failed seekers, who never understood the essential old-mystic fallacy of the acid culture: the desperate assumption that somebody, or at least some force, is tending the light at the end of the tunnel.

Offlinetibberous
Stranger
Re: Rye Flour PF Cakes / Also, blue myc water, wtf? [Re: exagram]
    #6919364 - 05/15/07 11:02 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

If you had a bunch of rye you should have just used it. The cake it makes isn't as dense as a PF cake, and if you try to use it as inoculate it doesn't give quite as many particals when you break it apart, but it colonizes faster than a PF cake would. Still, it should work the way you used it.

What casing layer did you use that you got mold? If you are having trouble with contams you might want to hold off on making myc water - it is an easy way to get more contams and doesn't seem to work that good imo (maybe others have had better luck with it, but if I can get it to work at all it seems to take just as long as spores).

Edit: Found a cool site for grains.

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/products/grocery/grain_facts.html

Code:

cal/protein/fat /carbohydrates/ fiber /sodium
Brown Rice 171/ 3.6 g /1.3g/ 35 g / 1.6 g / 0 mg
Rye 141/ 6 g /1.0g/ 29 g / 6.0 g / 0 mg

So, rye has more protien but less calories. Maybe somone could explain what that means to mushrooms?

Edited by tibberous (05/15/07 11:08 AM)

Offlineshr00matik
Stranger

Re: Rye Flour PF Cakes / Also, blue myc water, wtf? [Re: shr00matik]
    #6919406 - 05/15/07 11:19 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

For my contam'd casings I used 50/50 peat moss, however I didn't balance the pH which probably played a big factor in contams.

I'm hoping myc water works great because it was very easy to make. I produced it in another room away from where the contamination occured so hopefully it won't get contamd.

Invisiblejeetered
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: no clue
Re: Rye Flour PF Cakes / Also, blue myc water, wtf? [Re: tibberous]
    #6919407 - 05/15/07 11:19 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

when i do make pftek style cakes i only use organic rye flour.
it does nicely.

Offlineexagram
Phear the shroom
 User Gallery

Re: Rye Flour PF Cakes / Also, blue myc water, wtf? [Re: tibberous]
    #6919412 - 05/15/07 11:20 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Protein levels don't mean very much. If we did, we'd be birthing with soybeans instead of rye. :smile:

Carbohydrate levels are slightly lower, but not so much there'd be a significant impact, I bet. In my experience, different websites will tell you very different things about the nutritional content of any given food.

--------------------
Raoul Duke: What Leary took down with him was the central illusion of a whole lifestyle that he helped create - a generation of permanent cripples, failed seekers, who never understood the essential old-mystic fallacy of the acid culture: the desperate assumption that somebody, or at least some force, is tending the light at the end of the tunnel.

Invisiblejeetered
Stranger
Male User Gallery

Loc: no clue
Re: Rye Flour PF Cakes / Also, blue myc water, wtf? [Re: exagram]
    #6920608 - 05/15/07 03:46 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

the reason i chose rye was due to it's high natural levels of l-tryptophan. It had the most of the grains, besides quinoa, but whole quinoa grain has an antifungal hull.. quinoa has the most. BRF has trace amounts, (not that any of this matters, potency is decided by genetics)

anyhow.

rye grain / Organic Rye Flour (orf) both r rocking.

I could only assume your blue myc water is bruised myc from shaking the grains/cake that you used to make the myc water. Myc Water seems more difficult to make then a real LC IME.

also, if you used chlorinated tap water, it can cause it to go blue.

Edited by jeetered (05/15/07 03:48 PM)

Offlinedirtracer24
intrigued
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate ny
Re: Rye Flour PF Cakes / Also, blue myc water, wtf? [Re: jeetered]
    #6921455 - 05/15/07 07:05 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

i had great luck with corn flour potato flour rye flour brf all of it seems kicks ass and ive done myc water and now im making lc's and believe me it is worth the time (which is very lil)good luck

--------------------
why do we park in driveways?and drive in parkways?

Offlineshr00matik
Stranger

Re: Rye Flour PF Cakes / Also, blue myc water, wtf? [Re: dirtracer24]
    #6922253 - 05/15/07 10:27 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

what are the advantages of traditional LC over myc water? Myc water seems a lot easier to make and doesn't involve having to wait for it to colonize.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore Injection Grain Bag   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom