Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineSir_Jeans
Sir
Male
Loc: Adelaide, S.A. Australia
Adelaide pics/Gym Id request
    #6905273 - 05/12/07 08:59 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I went hunting today and found heaps of what may be Gyms. Location is pine forest in the Adelaide hills (Australia). I was hoping to find subs but found none. I came across two other people also collecting shrooms, they seemed to know what they were doing and they were collecting these gym thingies pictured below. There were heaps out and I only took one cluster of many that I saw (these were growing in dirt, not wood, as were some of the others). They all appeared to be the same species, unlike others I saw later in the day at different locations (not pictured). The ones I took were very young and small compared to most that were out, and in hindsight I wish id thought to photograph the undersides of the older ones.

Gills- ??? there doesn't seem to be any! maybe thats because they are too young?

Stem- solid and robust. not hollow. no veil or stape (not sure what its called) thing on the stem like in the amanita pics below. There seems to be no bulb at the base, they came out of the ground with little effort.

Cap- very sticky and slimy. It took a while to remove the napkins that I originally put them on as they were 'glued'. Ive read that this may indicate these are no good.

Bluing- yes, a little on all the caps. cutting the mushroom and crushing the stem did not cause any further bluing (this is normal from what Ive read about gyms though) nor was bluing left on the napkins/paper. However, yellow staining was evident (see pics).

Spore print- not done. I'm not sure if this is possible as there doesn't seem to be any gills, plus the shrooms are quite young.

Other details like colour and shape is clearly seen in the decent-quality images below. The fact that other people were targeting this species and the bluing indicates they are probably good. but the sticky caps make me suspicious. Also, Ive heard gyms aren't even that good for tripping anyway, so any thoughts/help with ID will be greatly appreciated.

heres the yellow-stained napkin:

I'm 80% sure that this is the cluster i now have at home:

And here are pics of other clusters in the area that I did not pick:

I took about 60 pics all up of all kinds of other species. I might have some pics of 'blue meanies' and i got some great close-ups of some quite unusual species from 4 locations. I can only upload about 12 images per day due to the upload limit here, so ill post some more HERE each day or two until they're all up. be sure to check back! By the way, if anyone wishes to save/use/make trippy art out of etc these pics go right ahead.

Finally, here are my four Amanita pics from the pine forest:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblecoon
big odd son

Loc: behind the rows....
Re: Adelaide pics/Gym Id request [Re: Sir_Jeans]
    #6905312 - 05/12/07 09:27 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

the ones you picked arent gyms,the clusters in the area you did not pick pictures appear to be gyms.gyms do not have a sticky cap and will have gills.they will have this color spore print.

there will be fibrils on top of the cap,and a cobwebby veil.among other things.

Edited by coon (05/12/07 10:16 AM)

Offlinexmush
Professor ofDoom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jaw-juh
    #6905320 - 05/12/07 09:32 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Those are not gyms in the first set of picks.. They are a type of bolete, in the genus Suillus judging by the slimy cap. They are mushrooms that have pores rather than gills. Many boletes bruise blue, but it is completely unrelated to the bluing reaction seen in hallucinogenic mushrooms. So they are not active, but may be edible. You can look up Suillus on mushroomexpert.com to see what type you have.

The mushrooms in the cluster that you didn't pick actually do appear to be a Gymnopilus, but we would have to know more details and get a spore print to know for sure. From what I understand, Gyms in Australia are not known to be active.

Your Amanita pictures are fantastic. At first I thought the last one was a Caesars Amanita, but I think it is A. muscaria with the warts rubbed off.

I look forward to seeing more of your pictures. Looks like you had a great hunt!

Invisiblecoon
big odd son

Re: Adelaide pics/Gym Id request [Re: xmush]
    #6905333 - 05/12/07 09:38 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

yep,nice pictures.

Offlinewikedferret
free man
Male User Gallery

Loc: wiked wonderland
Re: Adelaide pics/Gym Id request [Re: coon]
    #6905364 - 05/12/07 09:59 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

nice id mush they are definatly bolettes and i would advise against eating them. amd nice amanita pics btw.

--------------------
lol i just lied to whoever was reading that.....

Offlinesnoot
look alive ∞
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: 45º parallel Flag
Re: Adelaide pics/Gym Id request [Re: wikedferret]
    #6905378 - 05/12/07 10:07 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Looks like a suillus brevipes, but with a lighter cap. maybe a S. grevillei,

--------------------

I am incapable of conceiving infinity, and yet I do not accept finity.
- Simone de Beauvoir -

OfflineSir_Jeans
Sir
Male
Re: Adelaide pics/Gym Id request [Re: snoot]
    #6907122 - 05/12/07 07:55 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Thanks for the help everyone. Im going to discard these shrooms. Even if they are gyms, i hear they taste very bitter and you need to eat a lot for effects. Plus the sticky cap, and the fact that you guys dont think they are gyms, PLUS the fact that even if they are gyms they could be inactive. Makes me wonder why they were being collected by other well-prepared-looking people though. The ones they had looked like my ones. I did look up Suillus on mushroomexpert.com and some of them do look almost identical. Thanks again, and ill try to upload more images tonight.

Offlinexmush
Professor ofDoom
Male User Gallery

#6907188 - 05/12/07 08:10 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I would look at your second patch, those look like gyms and are clearly a completely different mushroom than the Suillus.

Invisiblecoon
big odd son

#6907821 - 05/12/07 10:40 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I'd bet a talking dog those are gyms.

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
    #6908529 - 05/13/07 03:00 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

What about a talking cat?  :grin:

--------------------

Invisiblecoon
big odd son

Re: Adelaide pics/Gym Id request [Re: CureCat]
    #6910910 - 05/13/07 07:23 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

talking cats,yes?:eek:

OfflineSir_Jeans
Sir
Male
    #6912889 - 05/14/07 06:51 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Ok Heres another batch of photos. These ones may be 'blue meanies'. They were EVERYWHERE on the forest floor, it was very hard to avoid stepping on them. I have a feeling that at least some are psychoactive. See the close up below, it appears to have bluing around the edge of the cap. I didn't pick any so I cant give any further details, but If anyone thinks they're active, let me know so I can quickly don my running shoes!

These are pics of the other possible Gyms I found. Note they were not in the same forest as the ones at the top of the screen.

Heres a cool lizard I found by a creek. It was about 7 or so inches long I think:

And here is the treasure I stumbled upon. According to the information I found inside, it is the 'treasure' that members of an online GPS treasure hunt site look for. It contained some kids toys, Pokemon card, log-book, empty wallet and smelt as though someone had taken a shit inside before carefully hiding it. This is probably because moisture had gotten inside. Unfortunately the inch-thick log book was pretty much destroyed by the water. I resealed the container and put it back where i found it half buried in the ground by a creek. I'm going to let the people who put it there know its been ruined.

Thats it for today. The rest of my pics are all different weird and wonderful shrooms I found. Some I thought looked really unusual. There's about 25 to go, I'll try to upload more tomorrow.

InvisibleEqually_Diverse
StrangelyFamiliar
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: South Florida
    #6913002 - 05/14/07 08:06 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

Sir_Jeans said:
I resealed the container and put it back where i found it half buried in the ground by a creek. I'm going to let the people who put it there know its been ruined.

:nonono: *Kicks* :rolleyes:

--------------------

InvisibleEqually_Diverse
StrangelyFamiliar
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: South Florida
Re: Adelaide pics/Gym Id request [Re: Equally_Diverse]
    #6913006 - 05/14/07 08:08 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Oh, I thought you meant you ruined it. :lol: Sorry.

--------------------

Offlinexmush
Professor ofDoom
Male User Gallery

#6913259 - 05/14/07 09:24 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Great pics again. The mushroom you think is a blue meanie is probably a blueing Mycena. These are not known to be active, though in Stamets' book, he says that he is fascinated by these mushrooms and would like to see some research into them. Blue meanies typically refer to Copelandia cyanescens, which are dung dwellers in the subtropics and tropics.

Without a more proper ID request, I can't really say much about the other mushrooms. Some do indeed look like gyms. If you're serious about getting an ID, pick some, take more pictures, do a spore print etc. As always, I like your pictures! Thanks for showing them.

OfflineSir_Jeans
Sir
Male
    #6917349 - 05/14/07 09:43 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I'm not really serious on getting ID for the above pics. I feel confident identifying P. Subaeruginosa, but not Copelandia cyanescens or Gyms. I read here somewhere (news article?) that "all mushrooms are edible, some only once". With that in mind, i think ill stick to Subs. Thanks Xmush, I did check out some mycena pics on mushroomexpert.com and they do look quite similar.

OfflineFeelers
Anti-Myth-Rhythm-Rock-Shocker
Male User Gallery

Loc: Land of Oz
    #6917580 - 05/14/07 10:21 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

If your looking for actives you should definitely keep looking for gyms,

^these look like they could be gyms but their habitat seems a bit grassy, but I've seen lots of gym pics where wooden debris is buried etc , but those 2nd ones in your first post like picture perfect ones.

Perhaps dry them out and take shots of the powder? Or maybe even a simple extraction could be a good idea if your worried about eating them. :thumbup:

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Adelaide pics/Gym Id request [Re: Feelers]
    #6917677 - 05/14/07 10:39 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Bluing mycena's do contain psilocybin, I think. I am not completely sure though.

OfflineSir_Jeans
Sir
Male
Re: Adelaide pics/Gym Id request [Re: Alan Rockefeller]
    #6918862 - 05/15/07 07:19 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Heres batch number three:

These two were quite large, maybe like a softball flattened out a bit if that helps. Very soft 'fluffy' texture. Looks like some animal or insects had gotten into them. The second pic is upside down by the way. I forgot to fix this and now im up to todays upload limit.

Would have been nice if these were actives!

These looked amazing, the cap was in a zig-zag sort of shape, almost looked like it had gills on both sides! This is the only one of this type I found all day. Id be interested to know what this is if anyone knows.

Well thats it for today. More to come tomorow...

Edited by Sir_Jeans (05/15/07 07:22 AM)

Offlinexmush
Professor ofDoom
Male User Gallery

#6918963 - 05/15/07 08:14 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

The bottom ones look to be genus Parasola. I'm more interested in the ones above which looks like they could be an edible Lepiota or Macrolepiota. Possibly a parasol mushroom (no relation to the Parasola of the bottom two pictures). And your third picture looks as if it could be a Lactarius, many of which are edible. If you find it againg, cut into it. It should leak a milky, latex like structure.

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Pan Cyan Liquid Culture For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures