Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineJoeyBond
 User Gallery

Re: How to identify Psilocybe Species and Panaeolus. (Illus.) [Re: no-tone]
    #2724497 - 05/24/04 07:46 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

so what about any thing refering to the brown and choclate spores or black what does do that but isnt edible? please answer this cause no one is answering my posts

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: How to identify Psilocybe Species and Panaeolus. (Illus.) [Re: JoeyBond]
    #2724796 - 05/24/04 08:52 PM (19 years, 10 months ago)

Your first sentence makes no sense.

mj

Psilocybes have chocolate to purple brown p spores.

Panaeolus and Copelandia have jet black. There is no purple tinges in jet black spores.

Different families have different colored spore prints and that is how one differentiates betwenen various specie sof fungi.

Read the faqs

Offlinenefarious slug
Stranger
Re: How to identify Psilocybe Species and Panaeolus. (Illus.) [Re: Anonymous]
    #6903234 - 05/11/07 06:20 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Ok, I have found what I believe are Panaeolus subbalteatus mushrooms.

They were growing in clusters out of some composting hay bales. The temperature has been mild and humid/rainy for the last week or some. So the climate seems right. I picked some and started to dry them, but I figured before ingesting them I'd post a couple pictures and let someone else give me their opinion.

These are partially dried. If needed, I can go back tonight and find some fresh ones. They won't be mature like these were but, I can get them.

Are these Panaeolus subbalteatus?

Pic 2

Ok, I live in Tulsa, Oklahoma. That's NE Oklahoma for those not familiar. I found these in a rural area growing out of composting hay bales, in humid weather. When they were first picked the younger caps had a reddish-brown/cinnamon coloration an an almost cone like shape. The more matured ones had a nipple at the top, a lighter color of brown and the outer parts of the cap gradually got lighter in color. The mature caps were more rounded than coned.

The stems are long, stringy and hollow. While I was picking I noticed that some of the mushrooms that were growing had been bruised. They were of a bluish-black ink like color.

Anyway, before I eat these. Have I correctly identified Panaeolus subbalteatus?

Much appreciated.

-slug

Edited by nefarious slug (05/11/07 08:18 PM)

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: How to identify Psilocybe Species and Panaeolus. (Illus.) [Re: nefarious slug]
    #6903367 - 05/11/07 06:57 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

NO Your mushrooms are not Panaeolus subbalteatus

mj

OfflineSubbedhunter420
Solitary Hunter
Male User Gallery

Loc: LA/Ventura County
Re: How to identify Psilocybe Species and Panaeolus. (Illus.) [Re: mjshroomer]
    #6903505 - 05/11/07 07:31 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Sadly no, they are not subbalteatus.
Dried mushrooms are hard to identify but the white stem is a dead giveaway.
Subbalteatus has a reddish stem and look a LOT different.
Check the vast amount of info on this website for additional help on ID'ing subbs.

...and read the forum rules so you can write out a correct ID request next time.

welcome to the shroomery stranger.

OfflineSubbedhunter420
Solitary Hunter
Male User Gallery

Loc: LA/Ventura County
Re: How to identify Psilocybe Species and Panaeolus. (Illus.) [Re: Subbedhunter420]
    #6903524 - 05/11/07 07:34 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

and i think its time to close this thread. '03... geez

Offlinenefarious slug
Stranger
Re: How to identify Psilocybe Species and Panaeolus. (Illus.) [Re: Subbedhunter420]
    #6903663 - 05/11/07 08:07 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Are they even active? Are they dangerous? Of what species are they? Or can you not tell at all? I know identifying dried mushrooms must be much more difficult. I have been looking for information and picture resources for a couple of days and have still not found any concrete information as to what these are. They seemed to fit the description of pan subbs. Growing out of decomposing hay stacks. If I take some pictures of freshly picked ones would it be easier to identify them?

Thank you much,

-slug

EDIT: I apologize for not reading the rules before posting. I will use the correct format in the future. I am going to take pictures of Fresh mushrooms and spore prints tonight. I will come back with that stuff tomorrow.

Edited by nefarious slug (05/11/07 08:09 PM)

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
Re: How to identify Psilocybe Species and Panaeolus. (Illus.) [Re: nefarious slug]
    #6903859 - 05/11/07 08:47 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Hi Slug, I like your name.  :smile:

Your mushrooms might be Psathyrella or perhaps Bolbitius or something.... Fresh specimens and a spore print will help resolve the identity.  Please make a new thread for your mushrooms when you get those images and info.  We're gonna let this old thread sink.

--------------------

Offlinemcmahon66
Stranger
    #10170421 - 04/15/09 10:27 AM (15 years, 4 days ago)

are EDIBLE PSYCHOACTIVE mushrooms the only ones that will turn blue and give a blue spore print? or are there poisonous mushrooms that can harm me that will give a blue spore print and turn blue from damage to the stalk or cap?

InvisibleDannyGlick

Re: How to identify Psilocybe Species and Panaeolus. (Illus.) [Re: mcmahon66]
    #10170753 - 04/15/09 11:33 AM (15 years, 4 days ago)

This thread is almost 2 years old.:smirk:

I think that blue bruising and a purple spore print is what you ought to be looking for.

There are mushrooms that bruise blue that can make you very ill but they won't have a purple spore print.

There are Stropharia mushrooms that have a purple print that can make you ill as well but they won't bruise blue.

Invisibleweiliiiiiii
Stranger
Folding@home Statistics
Re: How to identify Psilocybe Species and Panaeolus. (Illus.) [Re: DannyGlick]
    #10171031 - 04/15/09 12:12 PM (15 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

DannyGlick said:
There are Stropharia mushrooms that have a purple print that can make you ill as well but they won't bruise blue.

Here is a stropharia that bruises blue sometimes and is often confused for a psilocybe.

http://www.mushroomexpert.com/stropharia_aeruginosa.html

InvisibleDannyGlick

Re: How to identify Psilocybe Species and Panaeolus. (Illus.) [Re: weiliiiiiii]
    #10171072 - 04/15/09 12:17 PM (15 years, 4 days ago)

Ah but does it bruise blue or is it just blue?

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery
Trusted Identifier
    #10171236 - 04/15/09 12:34 PM (15 years, 4 days ago)

This thread has been closed.

Reason:
Quote:

are EDIBLE PSYCHOACTIVE mushrooms the only ones that will turn blue and give a blue spore print?

Psychoactive mushrooms never have a blue spore print.

Quote:

or are there poisonous mushrooms that can harm me that will give a blue spore print and turn blue from damage to the stalk or cap?

There are many poisonous mushrooms which bruise blue when damaged.

The rule is that all mushrooms which have a black or dark purple brown spore print and bruise blue where damaged contain psilocybin.

Stropharia aeruginosa starts out blue and fades to tan, it doesn't get bluer in the places where it is damaged.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom