Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinepscyanescens
The Raindancer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA
What is the difference between medical oxygen and welding oxygen?
    #6882084 - 05/06/07 08:35 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

OK so i heard that breathing in the oxygen from a welding tank after taking hit of weed was bad for you because it is pure oxygen. I know that the atmosphere contains approximately 18% oxygen and 82% Nitrogen, while carbon dioxide makes up less then one percent, so i am wondering if 100% is bad? I heard that oxygen destroys almost everything through oxidization and 100% oxygen could do this to my lungs slowly. I find this hard to believe because there are oxygen bars that you can pay money to visit and take some puffs of pure oxygen. I also heard that from another friend that 100% oxygen is used as a type of cancer treatment in conjunction with a hyperberic chamber (edit: she probably meant hyperbolic) and it was administered under the same pressure as if you were 60ft under water.

Anybody heard about any of this.....?

--------------------
----------------
"With an abundance of Cyanescens... i would never touch another Cubensis again."

Edited by pscyanescens (05/06/07 08:46 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Loc: Pongyang, North Korea
Re: What is the difference between medical oxygen and welding oxygen? [Re: pscyanescens]
    #6882090 - 05/06/07 08:37 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

well, i was at my oxygen supplier about a year ago, and wondered this same question, what is the difference between medical and industrial o2

he told me that the welding stuff that i get was 99.99% while the medical was certified at 99.999%
basically no real difference except the certification.

--------------------
PEACE

:mushroom2:zippoz:mushroom2:

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

InvisibleFerris
PsychedelicJourneyman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: What is the difference between medical oxygen and welding oxygen? [Re: pscyanescens]
    #6882121 - 05/06/07 08:44 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

I think it's a bad idea namely due to the FLAMMABLE nature of pure oxygen.

--------------------

Discuss Politics

InvisibletrendalM Happy Birthday!
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #6882122 - 05/06/07 08:44 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

100% oxygen is bad for you, in the long run...a few breaths probably isn't going to hurt you but I wouldn't want to breathe the pure stuff for very long.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: What is the difference between medical oxygen and welding oxygen? [Re: Ferris]
    #6882129 - 05/06/07 08:46 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Oxygen is not flammable...it supports combustion.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

Re: What is the difference between medical oxygen and welding oxygen? [Re: trendal]
    #6882138 - 05/06/07 08:49 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

trendal said:

yeah, people often get that confused, its an oxidizer, itll make stuff burn better, but on its own is not flamable

--------------------
PEACE

"in times of widespread chaos and confusion, it has been the duty of more advanced human beings - artists, scientists, clowns, and philosophers - to create order. In such times as ours however, when there is too much order, too much m management, too much programming and control, it becomes the duty of superior men and women and women to fling their favorite monkey wrenches into the machinery. To relieve the repression of the human spirit, they must sow doubt and disruption"

"People do it every day, they talk to themselves ... they see themselves as they'd like to be, they don't have the courage you have, to just run with it."

Offlinepscyanescens
The Raindancer
Male User Gallery

Re: What is the difference between medical oxygen and welding oxygen? [Re: trendal]
    #6882140 - 05/06/07 08:50 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

This is true if i put a flame to my torch and the oxygen is on it is not flammable.

So using a blast of oxygen to clear my bong is not bad? Technically it wouldn't be 100% if it was mixed with smoke right?

--------------------
----------------
"With an abundance of Cyanescens... i would never touch another Cubensis again."

J♠
Male User Gallery

#6882154 - 05/06/07 08:54 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Why would you use pure oxygen to clear your bong?

--------------------

InvisibleFerris
PsychedelicJourneyman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
    #6882164 - 05/06/07 08:57 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

trendal said:

Ok, I didn't know that. So you're telling me it's safe to be playing with lighters while stoned near a tank of oxygen?

--------------------

Discuss Politics

InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Afghanistan Flag
Re: What is the difference between medical oxygen and welding oxygen? [Re: Ferris]
    #6882168 - 05/06/07 08:58 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, see what happens when you hit the tank with a hammer.

--------------------

InvisibleFerris
PsychedelicJourneyman
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: What is the difference between medical oxygen and welding oxygen? [Re: HELLA_TIGHT]
    #6882174 - 05/06/07 09:00 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Or you can always try to light the bowl with your welding arc

--------------------

Discuss Politics

InvisibleHELLA_TIGHT
Madge the Smoking Vag
Female User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Afghanistan Flag
    #6882185 - 05/06/07 09:03 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Smoking weed is for losers.

--------------------

InvisibleZippoZM
Knomadic
 User Gallery

#6882187 - 05/06/07 09:03 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

yep, unless you set the building on fire, and there is actually somthing to oxidize.

blow 100% o2 on a butane lighter, nothing much will happen

blow 100% 02 on a burning log, it will burn 10x hotter and faster.

also, oxygen tanks are under incredible pressure. if you were to knock one over, and break off the valve, the tank would shoot like a fucking torpedo, straight through brick walls and keep going.

check this out

--------------------
PEACE

J♠
Male User Gallery

#6882264 - 05/06/07 09:17 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

Ferris said:
Quote:

trendal said:

Ok, I didn't know that.  So you're telling me it's safe to be playing with lighters while stoned near a tank of oxygen?

I never said anything about the ignition point :wink:

Pure oxygen has a funny way of causing some things to bust into flame spontaneously (organic materials among them). It would be incredibly stupid to play with lighters in the same room as an open tank of oxygen.

My friends dad works for a gas products company, and he used to bring home the safety tapes he got. There was this one story about a gas plant producing oxygen as a by-product, so they had the liquid oxygen pour out a tube onto a bed of rocks out back of the plant. Nobody knew, or at least the right people didn't know, that there was a buried conduit under the rock bed that lead to the computer room (it was a separate building). The oxygen burned it's way into the conduit and made its way to the computer room. It built up to the level where something became flammable and the whole room went up in flames. A couple people got burned really badly from it.

--------------------

Offlinemorphius2661
Basic Psychonaut
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: NC
    #6882516 - 05/06/07 10:31 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Medical o2 is cleaner than welding o2. Also the regulators, tanks, and valves are all cleaned with nitrogen before use in medical o2 tanks.

Welding o2 tanks don't have these steps taken because no one is inhaling it and any small particulates in the tank/regulators/valves/hoses will all just get burned off anyway.

Personally, I would not inhale welding o2 nor would I recommend it.

Also, as everyone else said, if you are playing with pure oxygen, you better not have any open flames around because it will go from an open flame to flaming house. If you need anymore proof just look at oxy-acetylene welding. When you light the torch with just acetylene, it's not too impressive, add in some o2 and you can melt very thick steel.

--------------------
"It is dangerous to be right in matters on which the estabilished authorities are wrong."

Invisibleblissedout
Male User Gallery

Loc: Yonder Flag
    #6882540 - 05/06/07 10:36 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

trendal said:
Why would you use pure oxygen to clear your bong?

The 1st thing that came into my head, while I read the original post was: Why the fuck would you want to do this, anyway. It just sounds pretty retarded to me. Sorry to sound harsh, but come on.

--------------------

:murray:

Offlinepscyanescens
The Raindancer
Male User Gallery

Re: What is the difference between medical oxygen and welding oxygen? [Re: blissedout]
    #6884220 - 05/07/07 11:38 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

I didn't mean to say clean my bong, i meant to clear the smoke out with oxygen. It would act sort of like a gravity bong, instead of inhaling the smoke is pushed into your lungs while it mixes with the oxygen. And why would it be a stupid idea if oxygen is good for you? If anything i believe it would make the hit cleaner.

By the way what damage could .01% of the oxygen that is not pure do to our bodies?

And if you turn on the oxygen first of an oxy-acetylene torch you can spark all you want and you will never see a flame. So unless you got your room mixed with pure oxygen and a flammable gas.... .then i don't see how a spark or open flame could do any damage.

Plus mixing oxygen with an open flame is how i make my living!

Edited by pscyanescens (05/07/07 11:42 AM)

Offlinepscyanescens
The Raindancer
Male User Gallery

#6884254 - 05/07/07 11:45 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

OK i actually first came up with this idea when people would not clear my 4 footer.  They would leave a bunch of nasty stale smoke in my bong, so they feel bad and then put their lips to the female stem and blow out the stale smoke!  Yay now i have a chamber full of CO2 and my friends breath to mix with my next bong hit!!! LAME!:rolleyes:  I thought that blowing out the stale smoke with 100% oxygen would be more healthy and taste better then taking a bong hit that is mixed with CO2 and my friends stagnant breath.

Personally i would rather have my smoke mix with oxygen then CO2.

--------------------
----------------

J♠
Male User Gallery

#6884261 - 05/07/07 11:47 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Doing that would be a bad idea...

Smoke is just unburned particles of fuel...they're unburned because of a lack of oxygen when you burn the pot. Adding pure oxygen into the mix could cause the smoke to spontaneously combust, possibly inside the lungs of whoever decided to try it.

If you want to use a blast of air, you would at the least have to mix the O2 with nitrogen in a ratio of less than 20/80 (O2/N2).

--------------------

Offlinepscyanescens
The Raindancer
Male User Gallery

#6884351 - 05/07/07 12:04 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Sounds like a myth to me.  I don't believe it could combust because there is not flammable gas mixing with the oxygen, and the flame itself is completely separated by the water level as well. 

However i suppose i could see how the smoke could act as a flammable gas.  I will fill a balloon with pot smoke and then mix it with oxygen and then hold it over a flame with a long stick.  I will let you guys know what happens later.......... :naughty:

--------------------
----------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom