Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]
Offlinepscyanescens
The Raindancer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA
Re: What is the difference between medical oxygen and welding oxygen? [Re: Konnrade]
    #6887710 - 05/08/07 01:28 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

So should we avoid the oxygen bars all together?

--------------------
----------------
"With an abundance of Cyanescens... i would never touch another Cubensis again."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineKonnrade
↑↑↓↓<--><-->BA
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LA Suburbs
Re: What is the difference between medical oxygen and welding oxygen? [Re: pscyanescens]
    #6887721 - 05/08/07 01:31 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Hell if I know, I doubt visiting them occasionally will do you any harm whatsoever, but it's still nothing but a money pit.

If I had enough money that I was considering paying to breathe, I'd force myself to put it in a savings account to be put to practical use later on.

--------------------

I find your lack of faith disturbing

Invisibleblissedout
Male User Gallery

Loc: Yonder Flag
Re: What is the difference between medical oxygen and welding oxygen? [Re: Konnrade]
    #6887722 - 05/08/07 01:32 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

:lol:

Damn good point.

--------------------

:murray:

Offlinepscyanescens
The Raindancer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA
Re: What is the difference between medical oxygen and welding oxygen? [Re: blissedout]
    #6887819 - 05/08/07 02:22 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

OK then is medical oxygen bad for you if used excessively?

--------------------
----------------
"With an abundance of Cyanescens... i would never touch another Cubensis again."

OfflineKonnrade
↑↑↓↓<--><-->BA
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: LA Suburbs
Re: What is the difference between medical oxygen and welding oxygen? [Re: pscyanescens]
    #6887853 - 05/08/07 02:36 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

pscyanescens said:
OK then is medical oxygen bad for you if used excessively?

Medical oxygen is for people who have a medical condition that impedes their ability to breathe unassisted.

If you habitually inhale pure oxygen without needing to, your lungs may get "lazy" and make it so that you get winded easier when not using the oxygen. I don't think it will explicitly harm you, but it may somewhat decrease your respiratory stamina if used habitually over extended periods of time.

I'm not a medical expert, my medical training is limited to first aid... all the information I'm giving is what I think to be true, having heard it through reasonably trustworthy means (such as discovery channel programs, or news reports), but not being an expert I can't state that I'm certain of these statements. :shrug:

--------------------

I find your lack of faith disturbing

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #6887978 - 05/08/07 05:38 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

> OK then is medical oxygen bad for you if used excessively?

Yes, if you don't need it. At atmospheric pressure, breathing pure oxygen for extended periods of time (days) can inflame the respiratory system. At greater than atmospheric pressure, breathing pure oxygen can quickly result in death by attacking both the central nervous system and the respiratory system.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineTreefeeler
Skill Collector

#14111594 - 03/12/11 09:39 PM (13 years, 19 days ago)

There's a bunch of prevalent information here, but your all missing the fucking prime point as to why we don't huff off the oxygen tanks used in oxy/acetylene welding and/or cutting torch operation.

Industrial oxygen tanks contain ANHYDROUS (without water) oxygen.  If you huff, the super dry air that fills your lungs attracts H2O from the surrounding tissue so rapidly that their forced to collapse.

This IS the reason your shop teacher tells you not to suck off the gas tanks.  And BTW: straight oxygen is never used as a welding gas.  GMAW (wirefeed) welders often run CO2/Argon mixes.  Oxygen has been included in "Tri-mixes," but the quality of such mixes is under great question.

Sorry to bring an old thread back to life.  But its imperative that industrial oxygen's ANHYDROUS nature be understood by someone planning on huffing.

--------------------

With the exception of grammatical corrections, everything I say is completely false and without foundation.

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale