Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store - Cannabis Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Potato Dextrose, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineDan
Re: Best Birdseed Tek? Or.......Best Tek?
    #68819 - 12/17/99 04:54 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

You could also try using rye grain, as birdseed and ryegrain produce similar results in terms of yield. I have not used millet or birdseed yet, but good results are reported from both. Personally I use 100g rye grain, and 140 ml water subsitute. For my water substitute I mix up some PDA mix, but leave out the agar. The mix is this: 1 litre of potato water, 15 grams dextrose and 2 grams of brewers yeast. Boil the jars, let them sit for 3 days, then pressure cook. This seems to work on killing any endospores present in the ryegrain. I am sure that this recipe would work great for birdseed as well. Just experiment with the moisture content of the grain, as this can well determine your colonization speed(along with ideal temps)

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Anonymous

#68821 - 12/17/99 05:17 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Ryche's recipe works quite fine, but birdseed is a bit trickier than brf/verm.

I recommend you make both Ryche's and the brf/verm at the same time. Use a good recipe for the brfv so you can see how moist your substrate should be and do a direct comparison.

Also, steep the birdseed in a ricecooker if you can. Its done correctly basically with no hassle that way.

I believe the second recipe is one that doesn't require a pressure canner to sterilize- I guess its less susceptible to contamination.

OfflineTriGuy
Skeptic

Loc: Georgia
    #68822 - 12/18/99 12:42 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I'm experimenting now with the bulk birdseed substrate in a Turkey roasting bag (doubled up). Makes a lot of sense so far. I soaked a huge potful of finch food in water for about 24 hours then strained out the excess water and dumped it all in one of those cool (hot) bags. It has 5 different kinds of seeds in it (from Walmart $5 for 10 lbs). I poked a few pinholes in the inner bag to let the steam out and cooked it right on the oven rack for 30 minutes at 250. That doesn't sound like enough so I might add some water and sterilize again to make sure there are no "germs". Then I stuck it in a larger bag and sealed it up, keeping it warm looking for contams. At the same time I have some liquid mycelium growing and plan on opening up the outer bag and injecting the inner bag heavily in a few days. I just now realized that I did not sterilize the inside of the outer bag, but it was fresh from the factory.

To all you experienced in this area, can you help out me (and Thunder I s'pose) and tell me if I'm on the right track.

I tried this 'cuz I got tired of all those tiny little jars which I have to break up and case a'la Shroom Wizard's grow guide. Why not just grow a ton of the stuff all at once in one big container, eh? It's totally worth doing of course 'cuz the shrooms are ... you know.

Feedback welcome.

[This message has been edited by TriGuy (edited December 18, 1999).]

InvisibleRyche HawkV
A Messenger

#68823 - 12/18/99 01:57 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I'm working on a complete birdseed tek with pictures and everything from start to finish.
this recipe will not include the rice and flax seed, but a 2:1 mixture of bird or finche seed and verm. Very easy for anyone to use, as long as you have a pressure canner.
I'm hopeing to have this finished by new years.

-peace-

--------------------
-Peace-
www.MushroomS.com
Formerly
www.thehawkseye.com
Sacred Mushroom Spores

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Agar, Brown Rice Flour, Potato Dextrose, Rye Grain, Vermiculite, Wild Bird Seed

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation