Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Science and Technology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineJaxx
Random muppet.
 User Gallery

Loc: Anywhere but Elsewhere
Wireless Security
    #6879507 - 05/06/07 09:00 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

So, I decided to do a bit of a security test on my home network. I use a Linksys WRT54GS wireless router and thought I'd do a port scan of every port on every computer on my network to see if there were any vulnerable services I could exploit.

About halfway through the scan the router banned me from the network, fair enough I thought, good security measure. Then I thought, I wonder if I can get round the ban.

So, I changed my MAC address ('ifconfig eth1 hw ether <insert mac here>). Still wouldn't let me on...

So, I thought 'What if I try from another OS with a different MAC?' I switched to one of the live CD's I have lying around which uses a different kernel to my normal one, faked the MAC and tried again... No go...

I tried connecting with both a static IP address and DHCP, it made no difference. My question is, how does the router know that my PC is the same one it banned when it has a different MAC and different OS?

PS. I reset the router and am back on but I'm curious about how it did it.

--------------------
If you were to draw a continuous straight line with a standard graphite pencil the line would stretch for 35 miles.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Re: Wireless Security [Re: Jaxx]
    #6879515 - 05/06/07 09:05 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I think your port scan hung up the router's wireless driver. No one would have been able to connect at all until you reset it.

This is good from a security point of view, I guess, but it also means anyone can hang your router and DOS your wireless connection.

Try it again with one laptop doing the port scan and another trying to connect after the first one's blocked.

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

OfflineJaxx
Random muppet.
 User Gallery

Loc: Anywhere but Elsewhere
Re: Wireless Security [Re: Diploid]
    #6879561 - 05/06/07 09:43 AM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Thanks, I'll give that a go, I have a copy of the source code for firmware, might have a look to see how I might be able to stop a DOS attack. Any ideas?

--------------------
If you were to draw a continuous straight line with a standard graphite pencil the line would stretch for 35 miles.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

General Interest >> Science and Technology