Home | Community | Message Board

Phytoextractum
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
OfflineKaliedoscopEyes
entheogenicexplorer

Loc: South Cackalakie
Clarify Mushie Fields!
    #687707 - 06/19/02 08:49 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

What's the specifics on active fields? I've always been told that the only active shrooms are in cow fields where the cows are GRAIN fed, but then I always read that people find them in any cow field, some horse or goat fields, and also in the woods--then again maybe thats the only place they grow where I live (central SC)

dunno-- CAMBO

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineLizard King
King Lizard

Loc: GA
Re: Clarify Mushie Fields! [Re: KaliedoscopEyes]
    #687774 - 06/19/02 09:16 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

There are 192 "active" psilocybin mushrooms in the world. Probably 20-30 or so species right here in the USA. Some grow on the dung of animals, some from rich soils, some from woodchips, some from dead logs, etc... The cow field mushrooms you are referring to is called "Psilocybe cubensis. They are the most commonly sold, picked and grown hallucinogenic mushroom. They are easily found, easily found in quanity, and even more easily grown. They are most commonly found in cow pastures, and no not in every pasture, only in good pastures with the right conditions(you'll figure this out with time) They can also sometimes be found in the dung of other animals like horses, elephants, buffalo, etcc...but to a much lesser degree.

Research "Psilocybe cubensis" and look at lots of pics, they are extremely easy to identify. They are large mushrooms, the cap is gold/tan in the center fading to white around the edges of the cap, there is a purple veil(ring) around the stem, and the stem bruises blue when pinched, picked, or damaged in anyway. So if you find a mushrooms on cow dung that fits this general description, and it stains blue on the stem where injured, it is definitely an active mushroom.

LK,

--------------------

OfflineKaliedoscopEyes
entheogenicexplorer

Re: Clarify Mushie Fields! [Re: Lizard King]
    #690043 - 06/20/02 10:09 AM (14 years, 9 months ago)

thanks for the info-but it was all already known

Offlinetchyted
miestro
Loc: WA near seattle
Re: Clarify Mushie Fields! [Re: KaliedoscopEyes]
    #690936 - 06/20/02 05:39 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

little real research has been done on your question. for all we know, cow shit is cow shit.

there is a theory out there that it is possible that the spores of some mushrooms can survive their way through the digestive tracts of some animals, and may thence spring up in their feces. i personally doubt that it would be true for ruminants, like cows, but may be true with animals with much less reteintion and processing like horses.

there are also species that don't actually do best in shit, but rather the straw that often is used for animal bedding, which inevitably gets mixed with their shit.

it is very possible for the spores of mushrooms to survive on the feed of cows and be transferred by wind to their feces during handling by the animal's human handlers, without having to survive the passage through the digestive tract. that being the case, it might make a differance what the cow was fed only incidently, because of the spores' ability to hide in one feed over another.

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
Re: Clarify Mushie Fields! [Re: tchyted]
    #691605 - 06/20/02 11:36 PM (14 years, 9 months ago)

Tchyted,

Sorry but the spores and mycellium have been know to grow in a cows stomach.

There is a grouping of Copelandia tropicalis posted at my website in the cultivation section which grew in fresh overnight manure for a period of 21 days after the poop hit the deck.

That is just one way the spores are disburst.

And then the majority of 190 known species grow in manured soil and in rotted wood chips and mulch., only about two and a half dozen of these 190 species of psilocybian fungi actually occur directly in manure.

mj

OfflineKaliedoscopEyes
entheogenicexplorer

Re: Clarify Mushie Fields! [Re: mjshroomer]
    #692256 - 06/21/02 11:00 AM (14 years, 8 months ago)

thanks and thanks, it's just always been told to me that the field is good depending on what the animal eats, and that HAD to be grains--so am i right in saying that i can hop into any field inhabited by an animal and MAY find some actives??

--cambo

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification