Home | Community | Message Board

Avalon Magic Plants
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
OfflineLloydChristmas
getting lost on purpose
Male User Gallery

Loc: atx Flag
Time to start a new chapter in my life.
    #6875163 - 05/05/07 03:58 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

This college thing just isn't doing it for me. I have the brains, just not the motivation. I am not looking forward to a life of making money just to buy "stuff." What I really want to do is something more creative. For now I'll keep my dream of being a famous drummer on the sideline.

Photography has always interested me. It's a passion that I sort of stumbled upon. So I'm thinking of becoming a professional photographer. Could anyone give me some advice, recommend a photography school. Thanks.

You can look in my gallery to see some of the photos I've taken.

--------------------

Edited by LloydChristmas (05/05/07 04:07 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCowgold
Bullshit

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: .
Re: Time to start a new chapter in my life. [Re: LloydChristmas]
    #6875192 - 05/05/07 04:43 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

You should try to get published or whatever it is that photographers do.

InvisibleTheFakeSunRa
Bitch Splitter
 User Gallery

Loc: Dirdy SOUF Flag
Re: Time to start a new chapter in my life. [Re: Cowgold]
    #6875746 - 05/05/07 11:18 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

The pics in your gallery don't really give me the impression that you have any special talent as a photographer.

How are you paying for school?

--------------------
[quote]Asante said:
You constantly make posts thatr fling middle school insults at people you don't like mixed in with maladjusted psychopathic comments about wanting to beat up the other poster with a crowbar.

You know how shit you are, you just don't give a fuck for precisely that reason.

I disendorse you.[/quote]

Offlinedanlennon3
LivingIsEasyWithEyesClosed.....
Male User Gallery

Loc: usa Flag
Re: Time to start a new chapter in my life. [Re: TheFakeSunRa]
    #6876116 - 05/05/07 01:23 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

i wish they had a class where you walk around and take pictures... that would be fun

--------------------
"Psychedelics should be used not to escape reality, but to embrace it"

Invisibledjfrog
omgws!!!1!

#6876131 - 05/05/07 01:29 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

oh boo hoo you don't like working. You'd rather do something creative. Thats true for most people who work, but they still work because they realize its better than living in poverty.

Get motivated to do both, if you really want to do photography. But school should be your priority.

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #6876138 - 05/05/07 01:31 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

I'm in the same boat as you.  I have no motivation to do school stuff or job stuff.  I don't know where I'll end up in the next year.  Life's an adventure.  :shrug:

OfflineDrCamacho89
Mazel Tuff
Male

Re: Time to start a new chapter in my life. [Re: TheFakeSunRa]
    #6876154 - 05/05/07 01:33 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

TheFakeSunRa said:
The pics in your gallery don't really give me the impression that you have any special talent as a photographer.

What a dick!  :thumbdown:

Don't let deuchebags with no talent convince you that you have none.  Follow a life that will make you happy.

--------------------
"The Highways of Life are Paved with Flat Squirrels who Couldn't Make Up Their Minds"

OfflineLloydChristmas
getting lost on purpose
Male User Gallery

Loc: atx Flag
Re: Time to start a new chapter in my life. [Re: DrCamacho89]
    #6876266 - 05/05/07 02:02 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Thank you. That's why I'd go to school for that though, to hone my craft.

--------------------

InvisibleRandalFlagg
Stranger
    #6876279 - 05/05/07 02:07 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Like film directors and musicians, photographers make no money unless they are in the top 1%.

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
Loc: Ohio
    #6876288 - 05/05/07 02:10 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

DrCamacho89 said:
Quote:

TheFakeSunRa said:

What a dick!  :thumbdown:

Don't let deuchebags with no talent convince you that you have none.  Follow a life that will make you happy.

He wasn't really ripping him apart, just giving his honest opinion. Like Lloyd said though, that's why you go to school. I have a friend who was an average photographer (from what she and others have told me, I can never really tell apart good from average photography) and after one year at Newschool at SU she's pretty damn good.

--------------------
!

Invisibleeligal
Noobie

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California
    #6876311 - 05/05/07 02:18 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

You gotta specialize in what you enjoy. If you like photography you should defiantely get a degree in it and do waht ever you can to get some of your shots put in mags, or sell them to advertisement agencies.
But yea, most photographers arent well paid for their photography alone, most have to work either as a photography teacher or in a developement/printing shop.

--------------------
\m/ Spanksta \m/

"do you have the freedom to do with your nervous system what you want?"

"MolokoMilkPlus said:
I'll respect you if you let me give you a blow job"

"tactik said:
respect the can."

OfflineDrCamacho89
Mazel Tuff
Male

Re: Time to start a new chapter in my life. [Re: jewunit]
    #6876341 - 05/05/07 02:27 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

I just don't like people who dog others' talent. To me, it makes them feel better for their own personal issues with unrealized dreams. Honest opinions are only deserved when someone asks "hey, honest opinion, what do you think of my stuff?" It's actually Lloyd's fault for putting himself out there. I guarantee every photographer who has ever made a living doing it didn't listen to negative criticism because they knew where the critic's motivation lies.

Please don't put so much reliance on going to school for it. You can learn everything you want to know by researching online and in books, and getting out there and taking pictures. The only thing you are going to get in school is more demoralizing criticism. Really.

--------------------
"The Highways of Life are Paved with Flat Squirrels who Couldn't Make Up Their Minds"

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
    #6876348 - 05/05/07 02:29 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Yes you can, but going to school also helps a lot. I think you are having trouble understanding the difference between negative criticism and constructive criticism. All of my friends who go to school for music or photography or art never complain about how their shit gets torn apart. Teachers are there to make you better, not make you feel like shit. If you can't handle what they say then you won't be able to handle the profession. There's really no reason not to go to school for it.

--------------------
!

Invisibleeligal
Noobie

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: California
    #6876350 - 05/05/07 02:30 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Sounds like you dont know how to take criticism...

And if your schools critcism is demoralizing then yorue going to the wrong school. School (especially art schools) should be about expanding your talents to their fullest and to encourage creativity.
At least thats how it is with my teachers... :shrug:

--------------------
\m/ Spanksta \m/

"do you have the freedom to do with your nervous system what you want?"

"MolokoMilkPlus said:
I'll respect you if you let me give you a blow job"

"tactik said:
respect the can."

OfflineColbadol
Reality Mechanic
Male

#6876354 - 05/05/07 02:31 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

being poor will surely motivate you.

so, youre not hungry for education right now.
guess what?
you WILL BE later
So, just do your time. get it done. work first, play later. youll thank yourself some day.

--------------------

OfflineDrCamacho89
Mazel Tuff
Male

#6876366 - 05/05/07 02:34 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Student loans in a profession that won't pay much at first. That's the problem. If you need a degree to land a job after school, then yes I agree. School is important. A photographer just needs a good portfolio. You can put one together on your own for a fraction of the cost of college. ie renting equiptment, learning theory online or in books.

Most people do not provide constructive criticism. I'm sorry, but it's the truth. Telling someone that they don't have talent in a particular field is not constructive criticism. It's a dickhead thing to say, especially to someone you aren't close to.

--------------------

InvisibleTheFakeSunRa
Bitch Splitter
 User Gallery

Loc: Dirdy SOUF Flag
    #6876371 - 05/05/07 02:35 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

The reason I asked about who's paying for his school is because if he's getting a free mom and pop scholarship he'd be pretty foolish to throw it away to pursue a dream that he doesn't seem to have any real proclivity to succeed at it. If you want to be able to make a living at photography you had better be way above average BEFORE you start school. Something like that is so competitive you have to have tons of natural ability as well as an incredible dedication to your dream. It's great to pursue your dream and I don't mean to discourage that and I certainly don't think I'm being a dick.

Look, being a college student is real luxury, it's a privilege and a rare chance a lot of people never get the chance to do. I wouldn't throw that away.

Lloyd, maybe you could take photography classes at your college.

And lastly, no matter how you slice it up you're going to have to work some kind of job. If you have the chance to set your life up so you can work with your mind instead of your body that's pretty lucky. I, for one, hate physical labor.

Good luck.

http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly/story/0,,2070571,00.html

--------------------
[quote]Asante said:
You constantly make posts thatr fling middle school insults at people you don't like mixed in with maladjusted psychopathic comments about wanting to beat up the other poster with a crowbar.

You know how shit you are, you just don't give a fuck for precisely that reason.

I disendorse you.[/quote]

Edited by TheFakeSunRa (05/05/07 02:44 PM)

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
    #6876376 - 05/05/07 02:37 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

I was referring to professors at school. When you go to college for something you're not going to get negative criticism, except from the occasional peer, and in that case it's usually just jealousy so it's really a compliment.

And no, you don't need the degree to get the job, but it sure helps. It also means you went through four years of education which can only make you better. Most of the jazz musicians I know who are at the top of the business went to music school. Those who didn't usually don't end up doing as well in the long run. That's really the only thing I can speak on that has that kind of situation because it's the only thing I know and have friends that are doing it. Every one that went to music school feels it was the right choice, the two that went straight to NY regret their decision.

--------------------
!

OfflineDrCamacho89
Mazel Tuff
Male

Re: Time to start a new chapter in my life. [Re: eligal]
    #6876383 - 05/05/07 02:40 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

I don't take criticism well, you're right. That's why I analyze myself and rely on my abilities to better my work. If you are unable to do THAT, then I feel you are in the wrong field. I will listen to others' and take what I want from it, but what I find is negative criticism only puts those kind of thoughts into my head. It doesn't motivate me. It may some, just not me.

Remember, those who can't do, teach. I have trouble taking criticism from teachers. I would much rather think "what the fuck do they know" and then go out and do.

--------------------

Invisiblejewunit
Brutal!
Male User Gallery
    #6876387 - 05/05/07 02:41 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

"Those that can't do, teach."
I find that statement to be extremely untrue on the college level. At least at any decent college. Music schools are filled with professional musicians, art schools are filled with artists. Even any Gen Ed. prof is doing some sort of research in their field, it's usually a requirement to even be a professor.

--------------------
!

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom