Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineNineStorms
The Dragon
Male

Loc: Existing between Heaven a...
Analyzing the weed: Layman's terms?
    #6854583 - 04/30/07 04:51 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Hey all, I've just been having these thoughts on my mind for a while as I've been lurkin' around the boards and reading different posts. I can only speak from my perspective on mary jane, as that's the only drug I've had besides alcohol, but it seems to me that one thing a lot of people don't do when trying a drug, whether for the first time or even when they use it habitually, is analyzing the effects by themselves. We're so conditioned to just doing things without thinking that when a lot of people use a drug and it goes bad on them, they just straight out panic rather than think through what's already in front of them. I don't see many posts where people actually explain how they believe different psychadelics and drugs affect people's minds and ways of thinking, not simply chemically, but psychologically. And I doubt that people speak about this too much face to face, either. Thus when new people are introduced to drugs, they'll know the banally simple explanations they've heard in school, and that they'll get "high" "stoned" "rolled" on this drug or another, but they aren't prepared for what the psychadelic will actually do to them. This leads to a lot of people getting panicked because what's happening is so different from what they're used to, and not being able to reason out the changes themselves.

I guess this comes up for me because of the first time I had weed, I didn't even intend on getting stoned; my friends had made some magic brownies (I knew that), I asked if having one would make me high, and they said probably not, so I had one. What can I say, I like brownies =D. Anyway, about an hour afterwards it hit me, hard, and it took me like a minute or so to decipher exactly what was going on. I was pretty anti-drug up to this point (although I was chill with my friends doing it), I hadn't even gotten drunk yet and I'd been 21 for months, heh. I remember having a pretty paranoid thought, as silly as it was. Basically was thinking, "oh shit, this is how they get people hooked on drugs, it's like a secret cult, they get you introduced and it warps your mind!" Yeah, it's hilarious, but I think it was important to me because it showed me how crazy your paranoia can get.

I'm rather proud that this lasted like 15 seconds (or maybe a minute, I was *really* stoned xD ). From there I started to try and think about what had changed, what the feeling of being stoned actually *was*. One of the first things I realized was that thinking while stoned was sorta like having your thoughts on train tracks, rather than a car on a highway. It takes a lot more effort while stoned to switch your trains of thought, because you're sort of railroaded. That analogy's a bit too simple though. I think emotions act similar to inclines or pitch in the road. Once you get into an emotion, it's like you're going downhill. This is especially true with fear, once you start to get scared, it's like a runaway train going down a steep incline. It'll get steeper and steeper the more fear you ladle onto yourself (and sometimes this is subconcious), but it's important to remember that no matter how steep it is, you'll always be on the rails, and it's your emotions, and thinking, which can steady you out. Positive thinking alone isn't always enough, but when you also figure out the problem (in my case, I figured out that my thoughts could runaway from me if I let them), you can get out of those ditches. I'm sure that's not always the case, but I think that could be helpful to a lot of people, not only here but anyone who's being introduced to a new drug. I think most of us grow up without actually realizing how much our brain is affected by emotions, our environment, and that chemicals really DO govern how we think.

Well, that was a long rant, I hope you understood some of it. I've got more to say, just don't know how or when to say it. I'd love some discussion on this topic though. I don't want to demystify the psychadelic experience, but by making it understandable, we can prevent people from panicking or hurting themselves because they've been thrust into a totally new environment. Peace.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinegooddrugguy
Male

Loc: Subjectiville
Re: Analyzing the weed: Layman's terms? [Re: NineStorms]
    #6854613 - 04/30/07 05:04 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Yeah, thats a pretty fitting analogy. At a more amplified level, I would say that applies to shrooms and even acid.

Every time I try a new drug, I spend the entire time trying to put the experience into words. After the first time, though, I spend less time analyzing the experience and more time enjoying it.

InvisibleReoSpeedwagon153
Male User Gallery

Loc: Chetumal, Mexico
Re: Analyzing the weed: Layman's terms? [Re: NineStorms]
    #6857909 - 05/01/07 11:29 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Wow, dude... first time to try pot brownies and you got that much out of it?

I know exactly what you mean though. So much emphasis is placed on the obvious effects of the drug (visual or somatic, smooth or shaky, etc.) that people lose sight of what is actually going on.

This is difficult to put into language, as psychedelics change the context of description itself. How can you effectively describe something experienced with a deeper form of perception than language can recreate?

Language is like the structure of the simulacrum of the speaker. We humans sit at the edge of a mental and spiritual universe apart from the physical. Language can only take us so far into this world.

Psychedelics can raise your level of attention enough to allow you to penetrate through the barrier at the limit of language, and what is experienced is likely an apprehension of patterns of thought rather than words. Ideas occur as flowing patterns, each one fitting neatly into the next. It's like viewing the organic, plantlike structures of logic and thought.

As I said, it's very difficult to put into language.

::edit::

Read the signature of gooddrugguy, someone managed to put it into language pretty well. Aldous huxley.

--------------------
“I thought naming myself ‘ReoSpeedwagon153’ on a forum was a funny idea in 2006.”

Edited by ReoSpeedwagon153 (05/01/07 11:31 AM)

InvisibleStickyWater
Stranger
Re: Analyzing the weed: Layman's terms? [Re: ReoSpeedwagon153]
    #6858401 - 05/01/07 01:52 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Edited by StickyWater (05/03/08 01:13 AM)

OfflineNineStorms
The Dragon
Male

Loc: Existing between Heaven a...
Re: Analyzing the weed: Layman's terms? [Re: ReoSpeedwagon153]
    #6858403 - 05/01/07 01:52 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Very true: my analogy would be how do you describe sight to a blind man? Hearing to the deaf? Nothing in my life had really prepared me for the differences between a "sober" state and being stoned.

But just like a blind man who could suddenly see, I had a revelation or two :wink:. One thing that really surprised me was listening to my friend. I've known him for a long time, and he got into drugs much earlier than I had. He loves marijuana, and has been using it continuously for years. So what really amazed me was when I was hearing him speak, I realized that his voice seemed to be in synch with the beat of weed. I call it the strobe-light effect, where your thinking and your perception suddenly seems to be happening to a specific rhythm which is different from what you normally experience. I don't really notice this when I'm not stoned, but my friend has a slightly weird way of speaking. It's sorta stuttery, but not quite. But when I was stoned, it sounded really smooth and contiguous. That totally had me giggling... although this is all subjective, so I'm not sure how accurate my observations are.

Another thing which struck me was the question of if all humans actually think differently, as if we're on various different drugs from birth. It took being stoned to realize that it's possible to *think* along different dimensions or wavelengths, and this is only by using pot! I suppose that even though I'd assumed that some people might have different opinions and differences in brain structure to me, that everyone "thought" in the same manner. But suddenly, I started to ask if some people always think like they're drunk, others like they're stoned, some in ways I can't even begin to imagine, heh. I know of synesthesia, that's just one example that we know of where people think differently. Might explain why so many of us don't get along so well =/.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Kratom Powder For Sale   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags by Magic Bag   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies