Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineDrunkyDaBear
marijuana'llmake ya jump offbridges
Male User Gallery

Loc: the swamp
pins on my casing have stalled.. what happened?? :( w/ pic now.. heh heh
    #6848514 - 04/29/07 06:34 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

hi there.. i WILL DEFINENTLY have some pics later when i go out to get some batteries for the cam.. okay heres the situation.. i had a couple jars catch grey mold.. not too bad, didnt really get on the myc, so i birthed the jars early, at about 75% colonized, cut off the good myc, and dunked it in peroxide water.. i then took a normal tupperware container, put about 1/2 inch of verm in the bottom, and misted it till i could squeeze it, and it was moist and smooshy, but no water actually dripping out.. then put another layer of verm back on top.. three days later, i found a small spot of green, but the myc was starting to take over the top too.. so, once again, i dunked the good myc in perox/water, this time for an hour or so.. i recased, 1/2 inch of verm on the bottom, but this time, i kinda rolled the myc chunks in verm, so the outside was coated in it, and laid it on top of the bottom layer of verm.. low and behold, almost a week later, pinning initiated.. i was very very surprised! BUT, that was almost four days ago, the pins all look healthy as fuck, nice orangeish heads, healthy stems, and theyre all about 1/4 inch, give or take... but since day two, theyve made NO progress whatsoever.. could it be that they stalled out? is that possible? the verm is still nice and moist so its not that.. and none of them have aborted yet, no black heads.. they just havent grown lol.. i am under the understanding once pinset occurs they grow pretty fast.. am i just being impatient? im giving it FAE 3 times a day.. but not an iota of growth the past two days.. is there anything i can do to remedy this? im sure i am just being impatient but no growth at all for two days is kinda wierd, but i am by NO means an expert.. this is why i ask yall, the knowledgable shroomery folks :laugh: thank you in advance for any help, its greatly appreciated..

edit: as if it really matters lol.. heres a couple pics of them..

--------------------
i know the pieces fit, cuz i watched them fall away. mildewed and smoldering, fundamental differing. pure intention juxtaposed will set two lovers souls in motion, disenigrating as it goes, testing our communication. the light that fueled our fire then has burned a hole between us, so, we cannot seem to reach an end, crippling our communication.
the poetry that comes from the squaring off between, and the circling is worth it, finding beauty in the dissonance.

Edited by DrunkyDaBear (04/29/07 12:25 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleGiblet
Stranger

Re: pins on my casing have stalled.. what happened?? :( [Re: DrunkyDaBear]
    #6848641 - 04/29/07 07:50 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Right away I'm going to have to say birthing that jar was silly, Its way to hard to just cut it off and hope no bad mold spores stuck, Also if you can see green, Your seeing green mold SPORES, The actual mold itself is white just like mycelium making it impossible to identify if the mold is gone or not. Chances are you will flip your casing over only to see a field of green owning your casing from the bottom up. 3 days is not a whole lot of time to give it to pin, Give it atleast a 5-10 days before you start getting worried.

OfflineDrunkyDaBear
Male User Gallery

Re: pins on my casing have stalled.. what happened?? :( [Re: Giblet]
    #6848667 - 04/29/07 08:02 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

well, it was a contaminated jar, and the mold was visible.. it happened at about 16 days into it.. was i supposed to just let it go, and let the grey consume the whole jar? you have two choices in that situation, throw the whole jar out, or cut the healthy mycelium off.. what i cut off and cased was not contamination or "white mold" or whatever.. its healthy myc with the little rhizomorphic "fibers" with the typical fungi smell.. the contamnination isint even an issue anymore, its just the fact the shrooms themselves stopped entirely.. it went from no pins to 1/4 inch pins in about 36 hours, and the past 48 hours, no growth, is the point of the post.. i dunno, like i said, im prolly being impatient :laugh: but, i guess as long as im not seeing black heads, im good to go.. i just hope they pick up where they left off, and not stall out here, because what i have right now are perfect specimens for the size they are

edit: as far as seeing a field of green, nope.. the verm casing is kinda loose, and ive poked thru it with a butter knife, and havent seen a hint of a contamination, so i think im out of the woods as far as that category.. i know yer all saying wtf were you poking thru it for?? lolol.. its just an experiment casing.. didnt see the harm in it, but i didnt interrupt any of the myc.. and another thing, its not really a traditional casing, more like chunks of pf cakes fruiting on top of a layer of verm.. theres no network of myc established underground

--------------------
i know the pieces fit, cuz i watched them fall away. mildewed and smoldering, fundamental differing. pure intention juxtaposed will set two lovers souls in motion, disenigrating as it goes, testing our communication. the light that fueled our fire then has burned a hole between us, so, we cannot seem to reach an end, crippling our communication.
the poetry that comes from the squaring off between, and the circling is worth it, finding beauty in the dissonance.

Edited by DrunkyDaBear (04/29/07 08:21 AM)

InvisibleGiblet
Stranger

#6848678 - 04/29/07 08:07 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

What your not understanding is the grey you could see was not all of the mold, It was only the spores, Just like a mushroom releases spores when its mature the mold releases spores when its ready too, You cannot tell what is the mold and what is the mycelium because it is the SAME color. The grey is simply the spores, I know this is true for the green mold i can only assume its the same for the grey? (I thought my green mold was grey until i held it up to a light)

And this would contribute to your pins stopping suddenly. Your doing everything the exact same way, What else could it be?

OfflineDrunkyDaBear
Male User Gallery

#6848702 - 04/29/07 08:22 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

yeah but... aint that what the peroxide dunk is for?

--------------------

InvisibleGiblet
Stranger

#6848727 - 04/29/07 08:31 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

The only reason peroxide is added to the water while you dunk is so bacterias dont form in the water and cause your cakes/casings to contam, It does not do anything to mold that is established, All it really does is assault the mycelium, It will however eliminate the cobweb mold, But thats not what we are talking about here.

OfflineDrunkyDaBear
Male User Gallery

#6848760 - 04/29/07 08:46 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

dang.. i was told a whole different story in #cultivation.. hmm.. its strange, every time i ask a ? i get six different awnsers and theres no way for a noob to decypher which one is correct :tongue: just like the guy who told me to take the tape off the holes, 24 hours later, contams.. and that was a moderator who gave me that info .. but oh well, im starting to think growin mushies is half skill and half roll of the dice :laugh:

--------------------

InvisibleGiblet
Stranger

#6848796 - 04/29/07 08:58 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Well i would agree with that too, Except i wait till i see growth the size of a nickle before i take the tape off, This is assuming you use a 1 inch DRY vermiculite barrier, I have never had a problem with this.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #6848984 - 04/29/07 10:12 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Jars with molds should be tossed out. The tape should be removed from all jars after inoculation because the mushroom mycelium requires gas exchange. If you remove tape and 24 hours later see molds, rest assured the molds were there several days before removing the tape. The spores from some of the so-called 'brown molds' can be very dangerous if inhaled, so NEVER birth a contaminated cake. Peroxide dunks are useless. I hope that clears up some of the disinformation you've read. Start over, but spend some time here reading the information first. You'll find everything you need to know to have successful grows.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineDrunkyDaBear
Male User Gallery

Re: pins on my casing have stalled.. what happened?? :( [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6849382 - 04/29/07 12:39 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

true.. that makes good sense.. i didnt think that it was already infected before visible.. thanks.. but as far as reading and stuff first, i spent 4 months here reading and soaking up everything i could find, and i think therein lies the prob :tongue: cuz by the time you go to carry it out, youve read like every fuckin thing under the sun and thats where you pick up the bad info i reckon.. i dunno.. these fucks look so healthy tho.. if they DO grow, its gonna be hard not to eat em :laugh: oh well, a little jaundice never hurt anybody.. oh wait.. yes it did :S

edit: could it be the fact that i have no lights on these mushrooms as to why they stalled? thats one thing i have no idea on.. lights and casings.. anyone?

--------------------

Edited by DrunkyDaBear (04/29/07 12:42 PM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #6849500 - 04/29/07 01:31 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

You're trying to fruit with no light? Yes, that will cause very poor performance.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineDrunkyDaBear
Male User Gallery

Re: pins on my casing have stalled.. what happened?? :( [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6849760 - 04/29/07 03:07 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

whelp as many teks as ive read ive never seen anything about lighting, either that or i overlooked it.. which is also a big possibility lol.. so, what kind of light can i use? all i have really is incandescent, or a halogen worklight, which im sure would cook the shrooms.. what about putting it on the back porch for a couple hours a day? would indirect sunlight be sufficient? i just hate to see these go to waste after all i went thru to get em to this state :frown: hope i havent already done permanent damage and stunted them.. but, its day four or since the pins arrived.. maybe theres still hope??

--------------------

OfflinePeteomighty
Stranger

#6849910 - 04/29/07 03:44 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

don't expose them to direct sunlight

use a flourecent light if ya can i think.

--------------------
thedudenj said:
drugs no drugs sex no sex hats no hats.

Offlinekyleda1kid
Student (here tolearn)
Male

Re: pins on my casing have stalled.. what happened?? :( [Re: Peteomighty]
    #6850641 - 04/29/07 07:09 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Don't use incandesant, they provide more heat than light, go with flourescent, or indirect light. Put on apprx. 12/12 light schedule. 12 hours light, 12 dark.

Invisiblemyndreach
philosopher
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: pins on my casing have stalled.. what happened?? :( [Re: kyleda1kid]
    #6850709 - 04/29/07 07:30 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

fluorescent is the bulb you want...

InvisibleGiblet
Stranger

Re: pins on my casing have stalled.. what happened?? :( [Re: myndreach]
    #6852670 - 04/30/07 06:38 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

go pick up a 2 foot fluorescent mount (i use my closet for my grows :laugh:) cost me $12.99 @ home depot, Make sure the bulb you buy has a COLOR TEMP of 6500, The bulb i ended up having to get was called not just daylight, But daylight deluxe. Pretty sure thats the best lighting for the price, All together i only ended up paying $18.00 for the fixture, Its in my closet pinning my casings right now! :smile: Couldn't be happier (The mount was a metal industrial one they had on sale... score)

- I use a 12/12 light cycle till pins have formed then i switch it to a 8/16 light cycle.

Edited by Giblet (04/30/07 06:40 AM)

OfflineDrunkyDaBear
Male User Gallery

#6853948 - 04/30/07 01:22 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

awesome brother.. good advice, thanks :laugh: i work at lowe's so itll be easy to pick one up... ive been doing the indirect sunlight and that aint doin jack shit for em :frown: theyre still little micro bastard pins.. oh well.. maybe this one wasnt meant to be lol :tongue:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale