Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Invisiblexjuan
chico nuevo

Loc: rocky mountains Flag
the tech 'tard fixed something all by himself!!!
    #6852169 - 04/30/07 01:10 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

I've been dealing with annoying *blank* tooltips in firefox 2.0.0.3 for months now - until tonite!  I was fortunate to stumble across instructions to fix the problem.  Yay!  Going in and tinkering with files makes me feel manly!  :cheer:

xj

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male

Loc: California
Re: the tech 'tard fixed something all by himself!!! [Re: xjuan]
    #6852263 - 04/30/07 01:51 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

But you didn't figure it out, you just followed the algorithm. Consider yourself a successful implementer of a solution. That's partially manly, relating geekiness to manliness, anyway.

Congrats anyway, I just have no idea what it is like to be technologically retarded so I may come off like I am putting your achievement down and that is NOT the case - most people can't or won't implement a fix even if they get the solution handed to them and spelled out in the smallest of terms.

--------------------
delta9

Invisiblexjuan
chico nuevo

Re: the tech 'tard fixed something all by himself!!! [Re: delta9]
    #6852279 - 04/30/07 01:59 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

yes! partially manly is close enough for me! you're right, I didn't figure it out - in fact I could barely get the correct search terms to even find the fix. and once I found the solution it still took me awhile, but you know what they say - baby steps...

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male

#6852316 - 04/30/07 02:26 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Yes, as you learn to find more and more solutions, your searching ability, also known as google-fu, will surely increase and you will be finding things faster and faster and following the directions easier until you know where everything is yourself and you won't really need the directions.  That's what makes them so great - someone else did the work for you (and whether you're using windows or linux, there's definately some work involved at various junctures) there's no reason if you don't already know how to figure it out why you shouldn't just go see.  Baby steps eventually prepare you for leaps and bounds, but it still takes a whole lot of baby steps first :tongue:

--------------------
delta9

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
    #6852702 - 04/30/07 06:57 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

makes me feel manly!

That's not manly. Manly is editing your registry without instructions.

Aarg! Now THAT will put hair on your chest!  :mrt:

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: the tech 'tard fixed something all by himself!!! [Re: delta9]
    #6852872 - 04/30/07 08:20 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

> But you didn't figure it out, you just followed the algorithm. Consider yourself a successful implementer of a solution.

Gotta walk before you run. I categorize system admins into the following:

1) Entry level - These are the people that know how to turn on and off a computer and to try a reboot when things don't work. They are safe and do not know enough to really mess anything up.

2) Slightly skilled - These are the people that have learned how to fix a few things, such as a stuck print queue, or follow directions, but lack the experience needed to fix new things they have never seen. These people are dangerous, as they know enough to really break things, but not enough to really fix what they break. Avoid the slightly skilled analyst at all costs!

3) Highly skilled - These are the people that have been around long to have seen most everything. They can pretty much fix any mistake that they make, and having fixed a lot of mistakes, are unlikely to make many. These people, far and few between, are a blessing to any organization. There is no danger leaving a system in their hands.

4) The guru - These are the folks that wrote the book for the system. They can fix anything, even when it isn't broken. When all else fails, this is the person you go to as a last resort. Again, no danger leaving a system in their hands, other than they may fix the system beyond usability.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisiblexjuan
chico nuevo

Re: the tech 'tard fixed something all by himself!!! [Re: Seuss]
    #6855212 - 04/30/07 07:57 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

I'm #2 - slightly skilled and dangerous. I can follow directions but more often come up with 'creative' solutions of my own. *But* at the same time, I have made ALOT of mistakes so I estimate I will be more like traits of the #3 highly skilled user anytime now.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #6856927 - 05/01/07 04:31 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Nobody skips any of the steps, though some people may not ever get to the top. I well remember my painful learning curve... rm -rf and automount... oops...

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Invisiblexjuan
chico nuevo

Re: the tech 'tard fixed something all by himself!!! [Re: Seuss]
    #6857378 - 05/01/07 09:06 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

true, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to become a guru. I wouldn't want all the peeps lower down the chain coming to for advice on how to fix their problems. heh.

Offlinestrangladesh
masterOFpuppets
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right Here!
    #6860502 - 05/01/07 10:08 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Quote:

xjuan said:
true, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to become a guru. I wouldn't want all the peeps lower down the chain coming to for advice on how to fix their problems. heh.

Yah but the pay must be nice...

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male

Re: the tech 'tard fixed something all by himself!!! [Re: strangladesh]
    #6861078 - 05/01/07 11:44 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Not if you're a freelancer :frown:

--------------------
delta9

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale