Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineHorse_Meister
Edible Farmer
Male User Gallery

Sawdust question
    #6833672 - 04/25/07 06:01 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I have been following the tek for oyster/shiitake using sawdust which says to use sawdust, bran, and a buffer. I am becoming frustrated with the amount of time needed to sterilize the bags for each batch. How long do people normally sterilize bags for? I did it for 1.5 hrs? Suffice? Im knocking it up immediately with spawn.

If I was to pasteurize the sawdust, I believe it would work much quicker for me. In order for me to do this, would this only be able to be done with straight sawdust? What are the pros and cons of either A (above)or B (this paragraph)? Any helpful advice is welcome.

--------------------
KTHXBai2YoU

Horse_Meister

Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Sawdust question [Re: Horse_Meister]
    #6834271 - 04/25/07 08:34 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

If you're frustrated with 90 minutes for sterilization, how are you going to wait two weeks for them to colonize? Supplemented sawdust must be sterilized because of the endospores in the wheat bran. Non supplemented sawdust performs poorly.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineHorse_Meister
Edible Farmer
Male User Gallery

Re: Sawdust question [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6838635 - 04/26/07 08:38 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

My frustration came from this line:

Step 5 - Pressure cook the bags for 3 to 4 hours. If a single large spawn bag is used, one might be able to get away with only 2 hours.

from source:

http://www.shroomery.org/8398/Preparing-spawn-bags

I enjoy the 2 week+ wait because I get to see results as they are happening. I am happy to hear that using supplemented sawdust will produce better yields, however I am still in question of an actual amount of sterilization time required. I am used to 1.5 hrs with jars, is 3-4 hrs really necessary? Keep in mind I am new with spawn bags and every piece of information/advice helps.

--------------------
KTHXBai2YoU

Horse_Meister

Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Sawdust question [Re: Horse_Meister]
    #6839271 - 04/26/07 11:06 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I fill my PC all the way to the top with sawdust bags, and use 2 hours at 15psi. Put jar lids as shown in that tek between the bags so steam can penetrate all the way around each one. There is no reason to go for three to four hours, and lots of reasons not to. It cooks the substrate.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   OlympusMyco.com Mushroom Grow Bags   Mushroom-Hut Grow Bags   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order