Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Anonymous

Can John Walker Lindh get a fair trial??
    #683075 - 06/17/02 02:45 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Is it possible for John Walker Lindh to obtain a fair jury trial in America? I really don't believe that it is. Are there twelve unbiased americans? sure, but for some reason, i don't see them as the ones who would be selected as the jury...

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Loc: Crackerville, Michigan U...
Re: Can John Walker Lindh get a fair trial?? [Re: ]
    #683132 - 06/17/02 04:11 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

****Are there twelve unbiased americans? ****

Every human is biased...

****i don't see them as the ones who would be selected as the jury****

I feel that he can get a fair trial. The problem with this trial will be the ability of the defense attornys to gather enough midless jury members that are willing to overlook the scope of what precedant(sp) this traitor has set.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Words of Wisdom: Individual Rights BEFORE Collective Rights

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Anonymous

Re: Can John Walker Lindh get a fair trial?? [Re: Innvertigo]
    #683299 - 06/17/02 06:17 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

haha, i don't think the defense can get enough "mindless jury members" you can only select so many potential jurors at a time, i doubt there will ever be a total of twelve in the court-room at one time. Every idiot in the country seems to have the atitude of "tal-e-ban, let's lynch that sumbitch". this country is full of idiots, thus....

honestly, i see this being thrown out on technicality or something of the like

Edited by PeachMan (06/17/02 06:20 AM)

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#683315 - 06/17/02 06:31 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

****honestly, i see this being thrown out on technicality or something of the like ***

I don't think this will happen for the mere reason of the american backlash....

as i side note i feel the evidence is overwhelming as to his guilt...but he does deserve a fair trial....

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -- Thomas Jefferson

Anonymous

#683381 - 06/17/02 07:12 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

The American backlash would be bad, if it happened within the next year or so... but once the gov has moved on to bigger ("worser" to quote gwb) fish, like all sheep, they will forget lindh even exists. so he will serve a couple of years of his sentence then it will be quietly overturned

i'll be honest, i don't know a whole lot of facts of the case, but speaking purely from a philosophical standpoint, we are a country founded on freedom (of thought, speech, religion, expression, etc). if he wants to join the taliban, i fail to see the illegality of that action. he never actually DID anything to any american (to my limited knowledge). why is he a (potential) felon rather than an "enemy combatant"??

Offlinehongomon
old hand
Loc: comin' at ya
    #683427 - 06/17/02 07:42 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

"I contend that we are both atheists, I just believe in one less god than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all other possible gods, then you will know why I dismiss yours."

Very well said. I tried broadening the deity concept like that once, didn't do it as succinctly. Still, Innvertigo is the last guy to try it with.

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Can John Walker Lindh get a fair trial?? [Re: hongomon]
    #683490 - 06/17/02 08:30 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

that's his signiture smart guy....keep up

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Edited by Innvertigo (06/17/02 08:31 AM)

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#683504 - 06/17/02 08:37 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

****but once the gov has moved on to bigger ("worser" to quote gwb) fish, like all sheep, they will forget lindh even exists***

I agree...

****so he will serve a couple of years of his sentence then it will be quietly overturned****

yeah, if that i see a time served in the future but i hope i'm wrong if he's found guilty.

****i'll be honest, i don't know a whole lot of facts of the case, but speaking purely from a philosophical standpoint, we are a country founded on freedom (of thought, speech, religion, expression, etc).****

I'm not an expert either but those rights you speak of are "designed" for americans in the constitution. (even though it should be world wide), he more or less gave up his citizenship.

****if he wants to join the taliban, i fail to see the illegality of that action. ****

I agree, but he should be treated like a foreign prisoner

****he never actually DID anything to any american (to my limited knowledge). why is he a (potential) felon rather than an "enemy combatant"?? ****

They're looking into it to see if he killed, or was associated with the killing of an american soldier. They should get him with association at the very least.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Offlineartemis
Stranger
    #684329 - 06/17/02 03:32 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

This case may indeed have problems with technicalities. For example if he was in fact not read his rights, and if he did signed that waiver after being in a metal crate for a while while having the abdominal injury a good attorney could take this one far. I don't know all the details, but it seems they made have made some serious errors in the way they handled him. In a public court system, this could lead to problem for the persecution. We will see. I hate to see anyone get of on technicalities, but those technicalities are important

Edited by artemis (06/17/02 03:39 PM)

Offlinefoghorn
enthusiast
Re: Can John Walker Lindh get a fair trial?? [Re: artemis]
    #684727 - 06/17/02 06:25 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

poor guy

Invisibleluvdemshrooms
Two inch dick..but it spins!?
 User Gallery

Loc: Lost In Space
    #684971 - 06/17/02 10:47 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

He should have been shot as soon as it was discovered what a traitorous scumbag he was.

--------------------
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealthy out of prosperity. What one person receives without working for another person must work for without receiving. The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else. When half of the people get the idea that they do not have to work because the other half is going to take care of them and when the other half gets the idea that it does no good to work because somebody else is going to get what they work for that my dear friend is the beginning of the end of any nation. You cannot multiply wealth by dividing it. ~ Adrian Rogers

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
Re: Can John Walker Lindh get a fair trial?? [Re: luvdemshrooms]
    #685172 - 06/18/02 04:37 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

If John got a true and fair trial he would be set free.. His rights were violated every which way possible and lawyers in a "Real" court room with fair proceedings would tear the prosicution to pieces and embarras the military.
No he will not get a fair trial, he cant, hes become a symbol of justice done right and the real threat that anyone can be a terrorist.

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

Re: Can John Walker Lindh get a fair trial?? [Re: GabbaDj]
    #685255 - 06/18/02 05:22 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

****His rights were violated every which way possible ****

oh yeah? Name the rights that were violated.

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Anonymous

#685299 - 06/18/02 05:42 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

i am of the opinion that mr lindh is still an american citizen (well, he is)...

supposedly, he was not read his miranda rights and his lawyer was not present during interogation... sounds like his rights have been violated to me...

InvisibleInnvertigo
Vote Libertarian!!
Male

#685329 - 06/18/02 05:57 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

****i am of the opinion that mr lindh is still an american citizen ****

Since he took arms against the US i believe his citizenship should be stripped. It would be one thing (in my mind) if it were a revolution within the US but he activly took arms against us.

****supposedly, he was not read his miranda rights and his lawyer was not present during interogation****

I believe the laws of military interogation aren't covered by miranda laws when the captive is thought to be of an enemy combatant. i could be wrong, however the point is moot since he took arms against us

--------------------

America....FUCK YEAH!!!

Anonymous

#685352 - 06/18/02 06:11 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

the Attorney General wants him tried as an american citizen.... thus, the rules applied to enemy combtants aren't relevant here... thus, he should have had legal council present and should have had his miranda rights read to him...

Anonymous

#685356 - 06/18/02 06:12 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

He's an enemy combatant, captured in military operations outside of the U.S. He should not even be tried as an American citizen. He should be treated just like we treated Americans who fought for the Nazis or the Japanese in WWII, HE'S THE FUCKING ENEMY! Get it? End of story.

Anonymous

#685363 - 06/18/02 06:14 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

fact remains that he is NOT being stripped of his citizenship and he is being tried in a federal court. thus, the laws of the constitution apply... thus, lindh should be set free. end of story

InvisibleGabbaDjS
BTH
 User Gallery

Loc: By The Lake
    #685394 - 06/18/02 06:26 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

His rights were hugely violated, even by military standards. By not feeding him, blindfolding him and throwing him in the cold hull of a ship for two days before any charges od classification was established violated even military rights under the genevia convention
This whole enemy combatant thing is something we just made up to be able to skirt around accountability and hold people indefinetly without due process.
They even took Walker out of his cell from time to time and posed him with troops for souvineer pictures.

He is an American, he did a bad thing but even mass murderers who have killed dozens of people have gotn better treatment.

--------------------
GabbaDj

FAMM.ORG             

Jump to top Pages: 1