Home | Community | Message Board

Mycotrop.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Amazon Tapestry

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinemrc
iknowyoudon'tlikeme

---Meditation problems---
    #6830770 - 04/25/07 07:20 AM (14 years, 16 days ago)

Recently i have been doing longer sittings, and there has been a lot more concentration toward my breathing. After about five to ten minutes into my sittings i keep having these thoughts/ images of a shadow person screaming. It freaks me out sometimes, and it doesn't help that they get worse and then fade and then get worse. I doubt that it is a Mayko, and i want to know what you think it is or what i can do.

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinecrumblebum
The Guy Who's Really Bad At Sex

Re: ---Meditation problems--- [Re: mrc]
    #6830772 - 04/25/07 07:22 AM (14 years, 16 days ago)

Whats a Mayko?

--------------------

Offlinemrc
iknowyoudon'tlikeme

Re: ---Meditation problems--- [Re: crumblebum]
    #6830781 - 04/25/07 07:31 AM (14 years, 16 days ago)

What i conceive it as is, a vision that is thought to have some connection with evil thought during the process of meditation. Most of the time people think that these visions are so real that they scream or yell out in fear that the vision might come to life.

Offlinecrumblebum

#6830793 - 04/25/07 07:38 AM (14 years, 16 days ago)

So, perhaps, some kind of manifestation of some kind of psychic impurity or error of some kind?

--------------------

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

Loc: red panda village
Re: ---Meditation problems--- [Re: crumblebum]
    #6830814 - 04/25/07 07:53 AM (14 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

crumblebum said:
So, perhaps, some kind of manifestation of some kind of psychic impurity or error of some kind?

Lol what kind of error do you have in mind?
I view those images as a process of our mind. Letting go of the thoughts, thoughts which transform in images & after passing that stage the images vanish.
I see no error in that.

--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

Offlinecrumblebum

Re: ---Meditation problems--- [Re: MushroomTrip]
    #6830827 - 04/25/07 08:09 AM (14 years, 16 days ago)

I say error because "evil" was mentioned. It's subjective. I see the mind as serving the individual. And if what mrc's mind is doing displeases him, or does not serve him, then it's an error. But I also see it very much in the way that you describe. Perhaps as a missed stitch in tapestry. Or as a bit of maldigested food. In one case, an active reperation would have to be made. This screaming shadow would have to be addressed somehow. Not to be terribly cliche, but perhaps with the use of psychoactives. Perhaps it needs to be forced to manifest in a stronger way before it can be addressed. But if it the second case, then it's something that will digest on it's own in time.

I think the litmus test would be frequency. If it keeps happening, and getting worse and worse with no sign of getting better, than it's obviously something that needs to be addressed, unless it's one of those "darkest before dawn" scenarios. If these visions taper off in time, then it's probably just a harmless interruption.

Or, you could just have an active imagination.

Worst case scenario, how old are you? It's really, really unlikely with only that as a symptom, but it could be the onset of schitzophrenia or something like it.

--------------------

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
    #6830879 - 04/25/07 08:46 AM (14 years, 16 days ago)

> After about five to ten minutes into my sittings i keep having these thoughts/ images of a shadow person screaming

The ego saying, "Hey, pay attention to me!" Ignore it...

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineMushroomTrip
Dr. Teasy Thighs
Female User Gallery

Loc: red panda village
Re: ---Meditation problems--- [Re: Seuss]
    #6830891 - 04/25/07 08:51 AM (14 years, 16 days ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
> After about five to ten minutes into my sittings i keep having these thoughts/ images of a shadow person screaming

The ego saying, "Hey, pay attention to me!"  Ignore it...

:thumbup:

--------------------
:bunny::bunnyhug:
All this time I've loved you
And never known your face
All this time I've missed you
And searched this human race
Here is true peace
Here my heart knows calm
Safe in your soul
Bathed in your sighs

:bunnyhug: :yinyang2:

InvisibleblewmeanieS
I'm a teapot User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Flag
Re: ---Meditation problems--- [Re: Seuss]
    #6831089 - 04/25/07 10:24 AM (14 years, 16 days ago)

Exactly, I have the same problem with music. Music will just pop into my head, and the more you try to ignore it the worse it is. Its best(for me anyway) to just make a mental note of it, and eventually they will pass.

--------------------
The Prophecy!

Learn To Code

OfflineFloop
Stranger

Re: ---Meditation problems--- [Re: blewmeanie]
    #6831354 - 04/25/07 11:52 AM (14 years, 16 days ago)

observe, and let go.

you'll probably get scared and might not be able to let go. Then observe your fear, and let go. Observe that you can't let go, and let go.

--------------------
"The finest emotion of which we are capable is the mystic emotion. Herein lies the germ of all art and all true science. Anyone to whom this feeling is alien, who is no longer capable of wonderment and lives in a state of fear is a dead man. To know that what is impenatrable for us really exists and manifests itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty, whose gross forms alone are intelligible to our poor faculties - this knowledge, this feeling ... that is the core of the true religious sent iment. In this sense, and in this sense alone, I rank myself amoung profoundly religious men."
-Albert Einstein

Invisibleredgreenvines
irregular verb
 User Gallery

Re: ---Meditation problems--- [Re: Floop]
    #6831392 - 04/25/07 12:01 PM (14 years, 16 days ago)

at a certain degree of absorption (jhana, or lsd inebrietion for instance) any mental formation (thought, sensation, feeling, memory etc.) may persist and seem to have independent motivation.

I remember the garbage can grinning at me knowingly, and every shadow and dent was inteligent.

the fact that you are encountering "beings" puts your meditation at least at the degree of absorption of st. francis.

for the kind of meditation you are doing, I would say you have had success, but need to endure unswervingly with your personal intentions of mildness, healing, and light.

such disturbances are tests of your ability to express these virtuous aspects without getting involved.

if you are bothered too much, build up your reserve of intentions of mildness, healing, and light with a gentler meditation. (note the tester and the testee are really one intelligence)

--------------------

Offlineleery11
I Tell You What!

Re: ---Meditation problems--- [Re: redgreenvines]
    #6832906 - 04/25/07 05:02 PM (14 years, 16 days ago)

the Buddhists do metta meditation wherein they dedicate merit to all sentient beings

they go through first with the elders, thinking of as many as they wish, wishing them all good health, complete illumination, long life, and great love, then the peers, then the youngers

then the enemies of the elders
your enemies
and finally all sentient beings

it is done 7 times thusly

so one aspect is to dedicate as much thoughts of compassion and love at the shadow figure that you can, because if it has love in it, ANYWHERE it cannot then be a shadow figure, and if it does not have love, is not of the same composition of love, it cannot coexist and should more or less vanish

now i saw some things just yesterday that were similar, and I thought about ignoring, but decided to pray that it and all sentient beings are forever liberated from suffering, then ignored it.... my perspective is as if through 2 tvs, rather removed, still images with some degree of realism, but largely malleable by expectations

it is a fine stage for me to be at currently, as it allows me to program my subconscoius and eliminate these things without directly perceiving them in totality, such as via astral merger.

also observe GIGO, garbage in = garbage out, so don't watch horror movies or partake in any form of violent culture, digress in thoughts about death no matter how "innocent" such as the various multitudes of jokes people make such as "oh i was so mad i could shoot him" and all sorts of things like that, without also judging them, trying to let them pass if you do encounter.

this is an aspect of the fifth precept of Buddhism (according to Thichi Nhat Hanh, and to me)

Edited by leery11 (04/25/07 05:03 PM)

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Kratom Capsules for Sale   Amazon Tapestry

General Interest >> Philosophy, Sociology & Psychology