Home | Community | Message Board

Original Seeds Store
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
OfflineAFOD
Abraham
Male

Loc: In the heart of mormon co...
Cloning wild Mushrooms
    #6826454 - 04/24/07 07:01 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Found more oysters in the mountains. Look almost identical to the ones in the back yard, except these appear to be more tender. I'm guessing maybe it's a sub-strain or something. Anywhat, I have prepared several substrates for the transfer of live tissue. I know that all my other transfers were contaminated with green mold (which had to have been growing on the stem, because I used H202 in the LC) I am wondering if one could possibly wash the stem of the specimen to be cloned (say with watered down Lysol, then H202, then rinsed well with clean water) without killing the sample.
By watered down lysol I mean I found lysol in a concentrated form and would mix it lighter than reccomended by MFG.
My goal is to cut down the chances of transferring live mold tissue with the desired tissue.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineJeremy_Davis
Mycelial NetworkAdministrator
Male User Gallery

Loc: Florida
Re: Cloning wild Mushrooms [Re: AFOD]
    #6827355 - 04/24/07 12:14 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I sometimes wipe down mushrooms to be cloned with an alcohol pad.

It's really hit-or-miss when you clone directly to LC. If you use agar plates (agar can be bought at almost every oriental grocery store for about $1-2 for 25 grams), then even if it is contaminated, you can do your best to isolate away from the contamination. In an LC, the contam is EVERYWHERE...

just my thoughts...

--------------------
Jeremy Davis
Educational Concerns for Hunger Organization, Inc.
Check out the ECHO mushroom blog page to see our lab, growing facility, and more-www.echotech.org/greta

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Cloning wild Mushrooms [Re: Jeremy_Davis]
    #6827678 - 04/24/07 01:44 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

You need to learn agar work. Wash wild mushroom tissue with iodine, and then place on agar. Iodine will kill most of the bacteria, and then you make a series of transfers to get the mushroom mycelium to outrun the molds that are on every outdoor mushroom sample.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisiblethallus
Stranger thanyou

Loc: Hiding in Plain Sight
Re: Cloning wild Mushrooms [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6827888 - 04/24/07 02:40 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

RogerRabbit said:
Wash wild mushroom tissue with iodine

How long do you wash for?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Cloning wild Mushrooms [Re: thallus]
    #6828133 - 04/24/07 04:03 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Not long. I rinse them with iodine by holding them over a sink so the iodine can run off the mushroom and down the drain. I then dip each piece of tissue in iodine after cutting it out before placing on agar. This helps to prevent bacteria from taking over your plate before the mushroom mycelium has a chance to get started.

10% iodine is what I use because it's what the local pharmacy carries and it works well, so I know it's safe. If yours is stronger than that, you might want to dilute it with distilled water.
RR

--------------------

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineCryogenicz
what?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Oregon
    #6828238 - 04/24/07 04:29 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

You can also make a sanitizing solution from idophor used in home brewing.

-Graham

--------------------
www.MycoPath.com
Mushroom Spawn, Cultures, Fungi Bags, Casings, Master Grain Jars, Bags for In-vitro, Laboratory supplies, and much more!
Mushroom Supplies. Fast Turnaround Times. Great Service.
orders@mycopath.com
enter code shroomery for 10% off product.

www.FungiForum.com

OfflineAFOD
Abraham
Male

Re: Cloning wild Mushrooms [Re: Cryogenicz]
    #6829011 - 04/24/07 07:54 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

We would really like to use agar, but live in a very rural area and there are not any ethnic stores whatsoever within 150 miles. Bacteria is not our biggest concern because we use H202 in our live cultures and transfers, which has proven to be very effective, except in cases of live mold. Since the mold growing on the wild specimens isn't even visible to the naked eye, we're thinking it could be at least partially eliminated by light use of lysol (which kills fungus) on the exterior of the sample. Then H202 to ensure that no bacteria or mold spores are able to germinate.
I guess we'll just try it. We are going to take prints from the mushrooms and save them for a time when we can get agar.
BTW, what is idophor?
The second mushroom colony we found look very tender and delicious. We would really like to get some growing.
Y'know what sucks? We purchased pre-mixed agar from the sporeworks in thier beginners culturing kit. Then during our recent move the box got lost.
I am starting to doubt that we'll be able to successfully clone without the use of real agar. So, like I say. we'll collect spores and use them once we have some agar. Thanks all.
Hey! What about letting the mushrooms sporulate into jars of the rye flour gravy agar sub we made. If enough spores are dropped, it seems likely that they would colonize quickly and not give contams a chance.

Edited by AFOD (04/24/07 08:03 PM)

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #6829193 - 04/24/07 08:28 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Peroxide is horrible for cloning because it damages the mushroom mycelium you're trying to clone, setting it back and giving the faster recovering and growing molds a chance to take over. Save your peroxide for combatting dactylium(cobweb) mold. It's of little other use.

You can get premixed agar powder from sporeworks or fungi.com
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

OfflineAFOD
Abraham
Male

#7404908 - 09/13/07 03:58 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

So RR, is the iodine left on the tissue transfered onto the agar? You said you rinsed it off then dunked it again. I suppose this doesn't affect the agar or culture negatively?

OfflineAFOD
Abraham
Male

#7404918 - 09/13/07 04:00 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

and how affective is H2o2 against growing cobweb mold? I have found nothing on these subjects before. Greatly apprecialte your advice, as always RR you are the MAN!
If you could point me to some links I can read them.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #7405030 - 09/13/07 04:32 PM (16 years, 6 months ago)

Peroxide will kill cobweb mold. Use it at 3%, which is the concentration it's normally sold at in the USA.

Rinse with water after the iodine. In fact, I tear a piece of tissue with my hands from the wild mushroom, and rinse it over the kitchen sink with iodine. When I get into the sterile room/glovebox I tear the piece in half, and cut a tiny piece no larger than a grain of rice from the center of the chunk of tissue. Be sure to transfer tissue that has never been exposed to air until you've just tore it open in sterile conditions.

For extremely contaminated outdoor fruits, you can do a series of sterile water baths. Sterilize several jars of distilled water. Drop your tissue into the first jar and shake well. Transfer to the second jar and repeat. Three or four rinses prior to placing on agar will go a long way towards ensuring success. You can put a teaspoon of laundry bleach in each pint jar of water you rinse with. The bleach will help kill off bacteria and mold spores, but leave the mushroom mycelium undamaged.
RR

--------------------

Thomas Edison

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains