Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinehenryp
Refugee from the Group W bench

pasteurizing vs sterilizing manure.........
    #682351 - 06/16/02 03:33 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Well, I searched and couldn't find an answer anywhere, so I'll ask the experts here....

When using manure, why is pasteurization recommended over sterililzation? It says in the FAQ that this is "generally done" for bulk substrates, but doesn't say why.

If there's an easy link I missed, I apologize. If not, then can anyone give me their $0.02 on this? Thanks....

--------------------
"You do know how to whistle, don't you, Steve?  You just put your lips together and.....blow"

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineMacey Howard
Formally MOE HOWARD
Female

Loc: Georgia
Post deleted by Moe Howard [Re: henryp]
    #682392 - 06/16/02 03:55 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

--------------------
Hugs and Kisses!

Edited by Macey Howard (06/16/02 03:55 PM)

Offlinewhackedout
journeyman
Re: pasteurizing vs sterilizing manure......... [Re: Macey Howard]
    #684478 - 06/17/02 04:21 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I use non-composted dung, dried but not,NOT, composted. I dont really sterilize, but its more than pasturization, I just let it simmer for an hour and let it cool. It has a different odor but its not like "fresh," manure either. Lysol will kill the odor, or Febreeze. After this is cool I squeeze all the water I can with my hands and crumble it up. Horses pass things through their digestive tracts a lot more intact than a ruminate cow would, if you dont get the water out it wont do well. You wont go back to anything else if you give it an honest try, I have no desire for casings or cakes after my positive experiences with dung.

Offlinecxz
enthusiast
Re: pasteurizing vs sterilizing manure......... [Re: henryp]
    #684516 - 06/17/02 04:41 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

I dont know if this is entirely true but what the hell

I have read that when you pasteurize dung you kill some harmful bacteria/spores and leave some beneficial things that fight off contams. Your mycelium also enjoys eating these beneficial things.

When you sterilize something you kill everything. After sterilization anything(contams or mycelium) will make a quick lunch of your substrate. You have to be much more careful about contams getting in when you sterilize.

Edited by cxz (06/17/02 04:42 PM)

Offlinepowderfinger
Re: pasteurizing vs sterilizing manure......... [Re: whackedout]
    #684567 - 06/17/02 05:03 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Hey Wacked, do you think that being able to squeeze out about two table spoons of water for every big handfull of manure is too wet. Also, by "not do well" what do you mean? I am guessing easier to contam or slow colonization. Thanks.

--------------------
Shelter me from the powder and the finger,
cover me with the thought that pulled the trigger.

Invisibledurban_poison
myco contractor
    #684960 - 06/17/02 10:30 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Cbull is right if you are spawning dung in a container. The great thing of a container is that it colonizes fast. However bacteria is necessary to fight off contams but moisture has to be perfect. This tek is very hard because of moisture content. My fire ants find sterilizing easier. There tek is to have a 70 to 30 ratio of straw to manure. They chop the straw to 2-4 in lengths. Add the manure and soak in the bath tub in a pillow case; water temp doesnt matter. Soak for 6hrs fliping the pillow case after the first three. This leachs ammonia, and nitrates(not all just enough, not just from the dung but the straw also). Changing water half way through also can help if you dont trust the manure you are using. This is then layed out in a shed or garage to dry for a couple of days. When the straw seems dry but the dung has some moisture then it is time to bag it and pcook.

OfflineAnnoA
Experimenter
 User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: my room
    #684966 - 06/17/02 10:39 PM (21 years, 9 months ago)

Offlinehenryp
Refugee from the Group W bench

Re: pasteurizing vs sterilizing manure......... [Re: Anno]
    #685677 - 06/18/02 08:52 AM (21 years, 9 months ago)

That's the info I was after, Anno. Thanks.......

--------------------
"You do know how to whistle, don't you, Steve?  You just put your lips together and.....blow"

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds