Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Invisiblecoon
big odd son

Loc: behind the rows....
Re: New location [Re: strangladesh]
    #6856435 - 05/01/07 12:48 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

edible when young,just the outside fringe.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinestrangladesh
masterOFpuppets
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right Here!
Re: New location [Re: coon]
    #6856483 - 05/01/07 01:07 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

huh why not the whole thing..

Invisiblecoon
big odd son

Loc: behind the rows....
Re: New location [Re: strangladesh]
    #6856565 - 05/01/07 01:33 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

the closer to the wood the more tough and woody they become,kind of like how chicken of the woods is.

OfflineMichiganPsiloX
Dude
Male
Loc: Michigan
Re: Michigan [Re: coon]
    #6858753 - 05/01/07 03:23 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

wow i am still amazed how you guys in WV and OH find these crazy loads of blue foot already and here in MI the only thing out right now are inky caps. THAT IS IT.- it doesn't seem like you guys would get a ton more days of hot weather than here in southeast MI to the point that blue foot appear a whole month earlier than us. but thats pretty cool. later

--------------------
"There are things known and things unknown; and between them are doors," -Jim Morrison

Offlinestrangladesh
masterOFpuppets
Male User Gallery

Loc: Right Here!
Re: Michigan [Re: MichiganPsiloX]
    #6858809 - 05/01/07 03:32 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

hey i found on of those orange oyster looking mushrooms...shroomydan what are those called?

OfflineMichiganPsiloX
Dude
Male
Re: Michigan [Re: strangladesh]
    #6858864 - 05/01/07 03:42 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

yea i took a break from studying for exams and took a walk along the Red Cedar but only found one patch of inky caps and also a few very very young what appeared to be gym's. Also I found these really weird bright red fungi's that had purple staining on the outer edges!- it had no gills though and def. looks nothing like an edible or active. Does anyone know if there are red pluteus species? or some type of gym? I need to invest in a digi cam. later.

--------------------
"There are things known and things unknown; and between them are doors," -Jim Morrison

InvisiblePhish_Dude
steppin' into yesterday
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: secret tweeker pad Flag
    #6859782 - 05/01/07 07:41 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

you are lucky to have even that, in near alpena all we have is a few morales, nice but not active.

--------------------

Offlinejccc
just aotherhuman
 User Gallery

Re: Michigan [Re: Phish_Dude]
    #6860000 - 05/01/07 08:26 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Dont live in bluefoot territory but have a question...you speak of bluefoots growing in patches so is it like morels where they come up around the same area year after year or is it the style (clusters) they grow in...im moving to virginia and am extremly excited going to be in the southern part but want to know when seasone comes around can i just take to the woods and follow some creeks like usual ordo i have to know were these patches grow>??

OfflineDragonHero
Beacon of Light
Male

Re: Michigan [Re: jccc]
    #6860583 - 05/01/07 10:20 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

I live in Middle Tennessee...and in the mushroom FAQ, it reads that caerulipes grow in TN.  I went searching for these the other day (found pluteus instead on my trek home after giving up hope for blue foot) and realized I had no idea where to look except "near creeks".

I don't suppose anyone could give me a few pointers on where to search or a good estimate on the likeliness of me actually finding these wonderful treasures in my area...

Someone also recently told me I should just be looking in pastures for actives in TN...I have my doubts I'd find anything though.. I usually don't have a negative attitude about things, but mushrooms have been rare for me :frown:  I have only tripped once, and that was this last August.  I've been seeking them ever since... :|

--------------------
I need a sig...I'll get on that soon.

Offlinerastausty
Mountaineer Fan
 User Gallery
Loc: Morgantown, WV
Re: Michigan [Re: DragonHero]
    #6861885 - 05/02/07 07:03 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Do a search for Caerulipes and check out some of ShroomyDan's pics from last year. He has some great habitat pics that should help you on your way to bluefoot. Basically look for low lying areas near a river that flood easily (ie:floodplains), birch and beech trees, and steep sloping hills that form a river valley.

OfflineDragonHero
Beacon of Light
Male

Re: Michigan [Re: rastausty]
    #6862203 - 05/02/07 09:48 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Did the research on its habitat and such, and now I have a better idea where to look. I'm going out right now! It looks like it may rain though..hmm....

Wish me luck, guys! : )

--------------------

InvisibleMontanahunter420
Mushroom Hunter
Male User Gallery

Re: Michigan [Re: DragonHero]
    #6863094 - 05/02/07 02:17 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Does it have to be right by a river. Or will a natural creek or stream work also. I have a river in my town but it's supper polluted.

--------------------
All of my posts are purely fictional and for hypothetical purposes.

OfflineDragonHero
Beacon of Light
Male

Re: Michigan [Re: Montanahunter420]
    #6863146 - 05/02/07 02:30 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

My efforts were in vain today...4 hours of searching with nothing to show for it but plenty of sweat and a tired body.

--------------------

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Michigan [Re: Montanahunter420]
    #6863511 - 05/02/07 03:57 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Or will a natural creek or stream work also

Yes, look for creeks and streams that have wooded hills on either side. Creeks that sit not that much lower than their banks, that wind and split and change course every so often. Look for creek that sit between hills, but the creek itself is in a sort of flat space between the hills. Look for Sycamore trees, Sycamores need the same kind of habitat to grow as bluefoots. Once in a while you will find a Sycamore up hill or in a steep ravine, but not often. Look for steams and creeks that overflow and leave woody debri in the greenery of their banks.

InvisiblePhish_Dude
steppin' into yesterday
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: secret tweeker pad
Re: Michigan [Re: falcon]
    #6864575 - 05/02/07 07:57 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

that pretty much describes the river that flows a few blocks from my house! but i don't think that sycamore trees grow around here, do they grow in Michigan?

--------------------

OfflineAlan RockefellerM
Mycologist
Male User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Michigan [Re: shroomydan]
    #6864636 - 05/02/07 08:09 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

> I wounder if anybody knows where we could find photos of P. caerulipes spores for comparison. A clear and distinct difference in spore size and shape would convince me of Guzman's position.

P. caerulipes spores are available here:

http://mushroomsfmrc.com/sporebank.html

I made this P. caerulipes range map today - Does it look accurate?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Psilocybe_caerulipes_range_map.jpg

Offlinefalcon
 User Gallery

Trusted Identifier
Re: Michigan [Re: Phish_Dude]
    #6864765 - 05/02/07 08:41 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

From what I could glean from the web, Sycamores grow on the lower half of Lower Michigan.

Offlinetjones381
Stranger
Male

Loc: northren panhandle, WV
Re: Michigan [Re: falcon]
    #6864881 - 05/02/07 09:11 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

AWESOME!!!!!! WV Blue Foot season is IN YES!! 12 blue foots found today on my jog and 9 morels, I only spent 15 mints looking. I usually stop to see whats growing in this one area along the creek. I have attempted to find some BFs here before but no luck till now. The BF and morels were 10 ft from each other.

Friday morning I'm going to head out to the hot spots, I'll post up pics as soon as i can find my camera.

--------------------
WV blue Foot season is In

OfflineMichiganPsiloX
Dude
Male
Re: Michigan [Re: tjones381]
    #6865349 - 05/02/07 10:33 PM (16 years, 10 months ago)

Rockefeller, i looked at your range map, I doubt caerulipes extend into the UP of Michigan, nonetheless North of Lake Superior. But SE MICHIGAN has em'. peace

--------------------

Invisiblemjshroomer
Sage
Loc: gone with my shrooms
    #6866947 - 05/03/07 10:45 AM (16 years, 10 months ago)

MichiganPsilox asks Alan Rockerfeller
Quote:

Rockefeller, i looked at your range map, I doubt caerulipes extend into the UP of Michigan, nonetheless North of Lake Superior. But SE MICHIGAN has em'. peace

P. caerulipes grows in southern Ontario and upper state New York south to North Carolina. A. H. Smith has dozens of collections in the herbarium at the U of Mich. And two separate collections by Guzman from Mexico.

The question is does P. ovoideocystidiata grow in upper Michigan. So far it is only collected in Ohio, Pennsylvania and West Virginia.

As for spores from P. caerulipes, I will have some by summer. I doubt that Steven Peele's Florica Mycology Research Center has spores that are P. caerulipes and believe he obtained spores from someone who collected in Ohio, Penn or W. Virgina.

His spore prints are like a quarter inch wide and half an inch long, so I would not buy P. caerulipes from Steve..

Regarding your map Alan,

I decided to post this as well as in the post on the forums.

Your map is very incorrect and i seem to notice lately a lot of people posting misinformation at Wikipedia on psilocybe mushrooms and their world wide distribution.

P. caerulipes is not deposited in any herbarium from any mushrooms collected south of North Carolina. And it is known of in southern Ontario, Canada and upper New York, but you have states listed on you map which are not valid by herbarium deposits whatsoever.

You might want to go back and read A. H. Smith and Singers list of deposited herbarium collections for P. caerulipes, but you should note to those in Wikipedia that a lot of the Ohio, Penns, and W. virginia collections are not p. caerulipes but P. ovoideocystidiata.

I posted an SEM (against the advice of my colleagues uin Bangkok) of the spoeres of P. ovoideocystidiata. If you know you mycology and biolgy and botany then you can use my Scanning Electron Mycroscopy image of P. ovoideocystidiata to differentiate them from P. caeerulipes when I have spores to show comparison. Right now you could compare them to the tiny spores made form the little microscopic images of the ones posted in the thread.

I already have chemical analysis and DNA confirmation for P. ovoideocystidiata and also have 3 collections coming this summer to Bangkok of some of the original collections from Michigan of P. caerulipes and a photo coming from Nancy Smith Weber of the original foto of P. caerulipes taken by her father from A. H. Smiths out of print Guide to Eastern USA Mushrooms.

mj

mj

Moderator edit: Removed statement regarding another user at request of said user.

Edited by fireworks_god (05/03/07 02:05 PM)

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies