Home | Community | Message Board

MagicBag Grow Bags
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Do you think "they" are looking down on you?
    #6811201 - 04/20/07 12:17 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Whoever it may be, your aunt, your parents, your grandmother....

do you think that they are in some place, or even near you, watching what you do.... be it with dismay or pride.

A few years ago, my mom really got into one of those shows where they "talk to the dead". I didnt know how "into" the show they (her and her sister, my aunt) were.... but she was talking about going to on of these shows )john edwards I believe) and here is what I said to her.

"Do you really think that grandma, your mother, is in some dimension where her entire existence is filled with a scope into your life? How miserable of an existence would that be? I cant think of any hell worse than that, having to watch my daughter shower, fuck, cry, live, and become unhappy, while you sit there with no possible way of directly doing anything about it".

I think the best thing you could wish upon the dead is that there is reincarnation, and that they never remember anyone and continue to live in ignorant bliss for the rest of their next million lifetimes.

Either my mom is lying to me, or she has yet to watch that show, or any like it since.

See, there are three general beliefs one can have on this.

1) there is no consciousness after death, and hypoxia is the end of life. Therefor, everyone you know that has died, no longer exists, nor will they ever.

2) There is a "depot", like the elysian fields, heaven, hell, purgatory, where people get filed, and you can eventually "meet up".

3) Life goes on. reincarnation, in its most etymological translation is it, and they are living a life, somewhere within the confines of "everywhere", just as you are now.

or everything lives inside your head where you and everyone else are merely characters in your own life.

***I am going to post this in MRP, just in case someone has something personal/emotional to convey that they dont want dismembered and ridiculed. ***

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineGrok
Has Been a Bad Boy
 User Gallery

Loc: Greener Pastures Flag
Re: Do you think "they" are looking down on you? [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #6811236 - 04/20/07 12:27 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Honestly I think it'd be an absolutely hilarious viewpoint to have. Non-stop entertainment watching Dumb Fucks mill about.

I'm sure it goes on, no death only transformation. It's an infinite amusement park and we're just taking whatever ride or trip/playing whatever game suits us for now.

--------------------
Entropy is increasing.
To send me a PM, go to my journal

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: Do you think "they" are looking down on you? [Re: Grok]
    #6811252 - 04/20/07 12:32 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

come on, imagine watching General Hospital for the rest of existence.

For a more relevant example: imagine someone watching WoW forever.

OfflineAtrocitY
Stranger

#6811334 - 04/20/07 12:52 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I'm going to go with number 1 Bob.

--------------------
Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass
It's about learning to dance in the rain

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Loc: the popcorn stadium Flag
    #6811942 - 04/20/07 07:43 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

this is something I tend to think about a lot. How can anyone think about life without seriously thinking about death (if they are truly living)?

The existential part of me says #1 is the obvious answer, but the 'human', cultured, conditioned part of me hopes to all that may or may not be "holy" that a combination of #2 and #3 is what is real or true.

I think Diploid said it best in your other thread:

Quote:

The same goes for mystical experiences. I've had them. I've also had dreams, and drug induced delusions. None of these has panned out in sober retrospection. From all appearances, my mystical experiences, dreams, and drug induced delusions are 100% in my head because even though I've looked VERY hard for something external to my head that might lend weight to these experiences, I've never found anything.

And while I have had 'mystical' experiences sober, they could all be explained due to physical conditions/stresses (lack of food or sleep, exhaustion, etc...).

--------------------
channel your inner Larry David

Invisibleelbisivni
    #6812479 - 04/20/07 10:04 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

psilocyberin said:
A few years ago, my mom really got into one of those shows where they "talk to the dead". I didnt know how "into" the show they (her and her sister, my aunt) were.... but she was talking about going to on of these shows )john edwards I believe) and here is what I said to her.

"Do you really think that grandma, your mother, is in some dimension where her entire existence is filled with a scope into your life? How miserable of an existence would that be? I cant think of any hell worse than that, having to watch my daughter shower, fuck, cry, live, and become unhappy, while you sit there with no possible way of directly doing anything about it".

Are you sure you weren't just watching South Park?

Quote:

stan from south park said
You see, I learned something today. At first I thought you were all stupid, listening to this douche's advice, but now I understand that you're all here because you're scared. You're scared of death and he offers you some kind of understanding. You all want to believe in it so much, I know you do. You find comfort in the thought that your loved ones are floating around trying to talk to you, but thnk about it: Is that really what you want? To just be floating around after you die, having to talk to this asshole? [the audience is listening] We need to recognize this stuff for what it is: magic tricks. Because whatever's really going on in life and in death is much more amazing than this douche.

http://www.planearium2.de/scripts-615.htm

I don't think they're consciously watching but that there energy maybe sometimes crosses my path. And/or at least that there is still a part of them alive in my mind.

--------------------
From dust you are made and to dust you shall return.

OfflineDrCamacho89
Mazel Tuff
Male

Re: Do you think "they" are looking down on you? [Re: elbisivni]
    #6812757 - 04/20/07 11:34 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Let me put this first, I am not a believer in John Edwards or Sylvia Browne that they can "talk to the dead". I do believe in psychic ability, but I think it's more complex than these idiots can offer and they just have developed a way to take their abilities and make money off of them.

Weirdest experience that I have ever had happened when I was 14 years old. My mother, who had been battling with cancer since I was 8, passed away. The death was amazingly excrutiatingly painful, since she indeed waited for me to walk out of the hospital room (in a coma) to die. She responded with moans to the sound of my voice. Talk about being close to a spirit, what happened to her spirit after she breathed her last breath I don't know, but it is a day that is etched into my head and will NEVER go away.

A month later, her best friend, a woman named Jeannette, called me up and urgently wanted to take me out to dinner. She was freaked out. I was 14, and pretty messed up at the time I'm not going to lie. The next years were full of delinquency and alcohol abuse, but that's besides the point. Jeanette had just come from a psychic reading with a woman who had been recommended to her by many sources as the real deal. She told me that the psychic said to her first thing, you lost someone close to you recently named Francine. She had two children, a boy and a girl, and she is very worried about what will happen to her son. She wants you to keep a close eye on him. She told me this in bawling tears.

Experiencing that kind of death at that age has made me better understand our place in this world and just how fragile life is. What you have contributed to this world, ie kids, writings, memorable moments for others etc. is how one's soul lives on. I don't know if this psychic just could see the past and was pretending to be talking to my mom as a platform to giving good advice to this woman because she knew what my mom was feeling before she died OR she actually was talking to her in another dimension. I think it was the first. Either way, if that is an ability one possesses, it could really be used for the good if the person doesn't exploit it.

Unfortunately, we will never know what happens until we breathe our last breath. I am anticipating a very peaceful moment of clarity, and I hope beyond hope that the experience will not happen for quite sometime. I am not going to live in fear of death. There is no point.

--------------------
"The Highways of Life are Paved with Flat Squirrels who Couldn't Make Up Their Minds"

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Re: Do you think "they" are looking down on you? [Re: DrCamacho89]
    #6812788 - 04/20/07 11:46 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

not to derail or cause offense, but...

Quote:

Experiencing that kind of death at that age has made me better understand our place in this world

what exactly is "our place in this world"?

--------------------

Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: Do you think "they" are looking down on you? [Re: demiu5]
    #6812807 - 04/20/07 11:52 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

demius said:
what exactly is "our place in this world"?

The place that we choose to be within.

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

OfflineDrCamacho89
Mazel Tuff
Male

#6812816 - 04/20/07 11:55 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Well, this is only to me, you see. I am not going to pretend like this is for anyone else. I see it as we are wandering around learning, experiencing, trying to make a mark, leave a mark, whatever that mark may be on this world. Personal success is exactly that... personal. It's different for everyone and the concept of it changes as we do. I think there will be certain times throughout our lives that we learn something about ourselves and our world that only make sense to us and others who had experienced it with us. Lasting bonds are formed and they don't go away until all parties are passed on. We can't force these experiences nor be scared of them. We just have to roll with them.

--------------------
"The Highways of Life are Paved with Flat Squirrels who Couldn't Make Up Their Minds"

InvisibleIcelander
The Minstrel in the Gallery
Male

Loc: underbelly
    #6812999 - 04/20/07 12:56 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

--------------------
"Don't believe everything you think". -Anom.

" All that lives was born to die"-Anom.

With much wisdom comes much sorrow,
The more knowledge, the more grief.
Ecclesiastes circa 350 BC

Invisibledemiu5
humans, lol
 User Gallery

Re: Do you think "they" are looking down on you? [Re: DrCamacho89]
    #6813466 - 04/20/07 04:32 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

call it semantics, but the correct way to word your sentence would have been "I have found my place in this world...", not our.

--------------------

Edited by demius (04/20/07 04:33 PM)

OfflineDrCamacho89
Mazel Tuff
Male

#6813519 - 04/20/07 05:18 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

demius said:
call it semantics, but the correct way to word your sentence would have been "I have found my place in this world...", not our.

I wasn't writing a 10th grade English Paper, but thanks for your editing imput.

I'll make the necessary changes and email you by 5? :smile:

And no, I am not claiming to have found my place in the world.  It gave me a different perspective on life.  That's all.

--------------------

OfflineMarkostheGnostic
Elder
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Florida Flag
    #6813725 - 04/20/07 06:30 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

"Life, like a dome of many-colored glass, stains the white radiance of Eternity."
- Percy Bysshe Shelly

You neglected to consider that the essential human being is what survives death, and that it is present even now in this life although most human beings fail to experience themselves as their essential Beinghood. Instead, we experience our changing bodies, more rapidly changing thoughts and even more fleeting emotions as who and what we are. We are not the "dome of many-colored glass" in Reality, we are the Light of Consciousness which remains conscious of Itself - self-effulgent, ecstatic, Boundless. The Hindus say "Tat Twam Asi" - That Thou Art. The Buddhists say that the Clear Light of the Void is one's very Being.

The ignorant multitudes, preoccupied with their bodies, their jewelry and clothing for that body and their social status; their toys and gadgets, cars and homes, as if, this is what the precious opportunity of existence is for, are like children who prefer to play with the cardboard box instead of a very costly and special gift contained in the box. We live for that gift, or we live for the wrappings. The gift is more Real, but it is invisible to the eyes of the body. Ah, poor stupid humanity. Every moment closer to Eternal Life than we are to death, and we Know it not. As the Qu'ran says, 'God is closer to us than our jugular vein.'

--------------------
γνῶθι σαὐτόν - Gnothi Seauton - Know Thyself

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
    #6814348 - 04/20/07 10:37 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

john edwards

James Randi says:

Back in 2000, when “psychic” John Edward was a hot media number, an editor at TV Guide sent me a 2-hour videotape of some of his shows, with the request that I examine them to find examples of his “cold reading” techniques. This was to provide input for an article they were doing on him. Now, this was a task of considerable difficulty for me, since what actually got to be broadcast was of course the edited version of any audience session, and subtleties of technique – not to mention omission – are easily lost in editing. My contact at TV Guide suggested I look over the entire tape to find examples I could use. As I told him, that could possibly lead to data-searching, a trap into which so many parapsychologists have fallen; I said that I would take the very first episode on the tape, and analyze that. And I did.

Let’s examine this item, the “Crossing Over” show of December 19th, 2000. Edward began the session with a warning to the audience that he couldn’t meet their specific expectations, a technique that excused in advance what actually turned out to be a rather bad guessing game. Remember, every member of his audience, self-selected to consist of persons who sincerely want to make a connection with the spirit of a deceased relative or friend, sits and waits for a comment from Edward, an initial, name, suggestion, relationship, or situation that they can in some way relate either to their lives or to the life of the deceased. They search frantically for that connection which Edward is constantly urging them to make.  Here are the first 50 seconds of that show:

John Edward: The person that’s coming through back here, they’re telling me to acknowledge I have a male figure who’s coming through and he’s coming through with a younger male. So I have a father figure who’s coming through, coming through with a person that would be below him and it’s like there’s some sort of connection between October, or the 10th of a month having some type of meaning, and there’s a feeling of somebody either working in transit, being involved with busses or trains, there’s something like “transit” feeling that comes up with that, because they’re showing me somebody with a transit connection, so I don’t know exactly where this goes. [He points into the audience.] It’s like I’m in the back, two rows back there. Do you understand this? [He points to a man, 70 years or so in age, who has indicated his interest.]

Just to bring a bit of clarity to this drivel, here it is again, the redundancies and the “stuffing” removed. It’s about a quarter of the original size, and much clearer:

A male father figure with a younger male, a connection between October, or the 10th of a month, and somebody working in transit, involved with busses or trains. [He points into the audience.]Two rows back. Do you understand?

This was delivered rapidly, with no pauses, not providing any opportunity for a denial. The question, “Do you understand this?” is a cold-reading technique; of course these simple words are understood, but affirmation of that fact can – and does – appear to indicate that all the items in this rambling sequence are being accepted by the victim, not just “understood.”

The chap “two rows back” indicated that he wanted to hear more of this:

Man: Yes.

JE: Okay.  Your dad passed?

Man: Yes.

JE: Okay.  And is there a younger male for him who’s crossed over, like his son or a younger brother?

Man: My son.

JE: Okay.  Your dad and your son are coming through together. There’s a “D” connection that comes up around this, that either means that your dad is the “D,” your son is the “D,” there’s  someone with a “D” connection around this. You understand that?

Again, the “Do you understand” ploy, even though the victim denies any suggested connection. And the identification of the father with “his son or a younger brother” is wrong. It turns out to be the victim’s son.

Man:    Not a “D.”

JE:      Okay, keep thinking about it.

We have here another common cold-reading move, in which the victim is told to continue to try to come up with a connection, and the implication is that Edward will return to the guess and further develop it. And he does, though the victim’s wife supplies the connection, as someone frequently does, trying to help the scam artist:

Man:    [interrupts when his wife whispers to him]… mother-in-law.

JE:      Who’s passed?

Man:    [nods yes.]

JE:      Okay.

Man:    Dottie.

JE:      That’s a “D”!

Next, following this clutch-at-a-straw, Edward reminded the man, in a quick re-cap, what he’d told him. He said he’d “brought through” his dad, and a “younger male,” plus the month of October, and the 10th of any month (either of which he then suggested to the man might mark a birthday or anniversary, but neither did), and insisted that at least the number “10" was “marking” something or someone, extending the field now to include “an uncle or uncle-in-law.”  Still no connection.  He then asked if the family consisted of three children, or perhaps one child “and two others.” Both those guesses were also met with a blank stare and denial.

But remember, in the case of his “bringing through” the father, Edward didn’t give a name or even a correct initial, though he tried! The “younger man” he had introduced, he guessed was either the man’s brother or his uncle, but it wasn’t; it was his son. Note, too, the gimmick of instant correction used by Edward: he guessed the wrong relationship here, but as soon as the man corrected his guess for him, he incorporated it immediately by saying, “Your dad and your son...” All that long attempt to connect the transit industry with the man or with the deceased – 9 seconds out of the 20 seconds of “fishing,” – also failed, and though Edward, before leaving the man and moving on, tried the “transit” reference once more, it was a total washout and was then ignored. The month of October, or the 10th of any month – giving him 42 days out of the year! – didn’t fit any angle, and Edward didn’t find anyone with a “D” name until the man’s wife suggested her own mother, who up until then had not even been mentioned. Edward accepted it eagerly as fitting the “D” guess.

This was a resounding failure as a reading, but the subject of all this guesswork was reduced to sobs and tears by the experience, and the audience was impressed.

Here are the total guesses made for the first subject of the Oct. 19/00 “Crossing Over” show. Edward tries to get him to identify with these 23 guesses, all rattled off inside of 50 seconds, about one guess every two seconds:

Response

Code:

(1) There is a male figure? YES
(2) There is also a younger male figure? YES
(3) There is significance to the month of October? NO
(4) There is significance to the 10th of any month? NO
(5) There is a transit industry connection? NO
(6) Busses are involved? NO
(7) Trains are involved? NO
(8) Your father is deceased ? YES
(9) The younger man is your brother? NO
(10) The younger man is your uncle? NO
(11) There is a “D” connection? NO
(12) Your son is the “D”? NO
(13) Your father is the “D”? NO
(14) Can you identify with any “D” person in your life? NO
(15) The 10th of a month — any month — is a birthday? NO
(16) The 10th of a month — any month — is an anniversary? NO
(17) There’s a birthday — of anyone — in October? NO
(18) There’s an anniversary — of anyone — in October? NO
(19) The number 10 “marks something”? Anything? NO
(20) An uncle is “connected” with the number 10? NO
(21) An uncle-in-law is “connected” with the number 10? NO
(22) Your family has three children? NO
(23) Your family consists of one child and two others? NO

3 right 20 wrong

Guess #1 has a 50/50 chance of being right. But notice: the way that Edward conducts these sessions, he can also apply any and all guesses to anyone in the audience – there were about 40 persons – who might choose to indicate a “hit” for them, by a gesture. Friends, family, co-workers and acquaintances, living and dead, all are eligible to fit any guess. Guesses #1 and #2 are definite hits. Then it goes downhill.

Guesses #3 & #4 ask the subject to identify with some 42 days out of 365, to connect with any and all birthdays, anniversaries, or dates of decease – any event – of anyone, since Edward only says “There is significance” to one of these dates.

Guesses #5, #6 & #7 are very wide, involving all possibilities in commuting, vacations, accidents, daily routine, the neighborhood, or occupation, and again, everyone in the audience is also eligible to identify with this guess.

Guess #8 is asked as a question, though Edward – and everyone else – is quite safe in this guess, since nonagenarians are very, very, rare.

Guesses #9 & #10 are simply the usual rapid stabs at correlation, and are immediately ignored by the audience as trivial – when they miss.  But they’re not trivial, since if they’d been correct, they would have amplified the value of this otherwise dismal reading.

Guesses #11, #12, #13, & #14 are “stabs” at a letter that could represent anything.  A person (living or dead), friends, family, acquaintances, a first or last name or initial, a city or town, a company, a title, an object, would all be eligible.  But Edward misses. It’s astonishing that he receives a “no” on #14!

Guesses #15, #16, #17 & #18 offer very wide possibilities.  From all the persons this man knows of, it’s inescapable that one or more of them have to have something that can be identified with one of these guesses.  But the victim fails to think of any.

Guess #19 is also very wide, for the same reasons. The number 10 must be related to “something”... #20 and #21 are wild stabs which simply fail.

Guesses #22 & #23 are two more “stabs” made in hopes of salvaging this fiasco, but they fail to hit. When #22 is denied, Edward modifies it to a wider scope in #23 (note: as he does with guesses #20 and #21, too) but he still misses.  He says,

I don’t know if this is your son… being either one of three, or three people in the family, where there’s two of them, then there’s one.

This could have been a “hit” in several different ways, if (1) there were three people at one time, (2) there are now three people, or (3) there once were two people, and one of them died or simply moved away, and (4) it might also apply to anyone other than the son. The statement presents many possible scenarios for the subject to choose from. All fail. Note, too, the “I don’t know if…” approach, which is quite true, because he doesn’t know! This form of address also invites a response from the victim, a hint that a choice, a correction, or a clarification should be made so the statement will "fit."

At this point, Edward gives up and switches quickly to another subject.

What struck me about this reading was that at the conclusion, the victim was smiling through his tears in evident satisfaction, thanking Edward for the revelations he’d received. There were only 3 of 23 guesses that emerged as correct, and each was less than spectacular, yet this man was not fazed or disappointed one bit. How can Edward ever fail, when he has such victims to feed on? :shrug:

InvisibleLakefingers
Re: Do you think "they" are looking down on you? *DELETED* *DELETED* [Re: Diploid]
    #6814770 - 04/21/07 02:41 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Post deleted by Lakefingers

Reason for deletion: No reason.

Edited by Lakefingers (04/21/07 04:13 AM)

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
Re: Do you think "they" are looking down on you? [Re: Lakefingers]
    #6814974 - 04/21/07 06:44 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

For some people it might fill a different function...they might not care that they're being fooled.

You don't think there's anything wrong with lying to people like that?

That's a callous attitude considering how many people are routinely ripped off of their life savings by liars and thieves like Edward and his ilk who promise something they can't deliver.

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

OfflineGomp
¡(Bound to·(O))be free!
Male User Gallery

Loc: I re·side [primarily] in...
    #6815776 - 04/21/07 11:54 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

psilocyberin said:

do you think that they are in some place, or even near you, watching what you do.... be it with dismay or pride.

I think the best thing you could wish upon the dead is that there is reincarnation, and that they never remember anyone and continue to live in ignorant bliss for the rest of their next million lifetimes.

Either my mom is lying to me, or she has yet to watch that show, or any like it since.

See, there are three general beliefs one can have on this.

1) there is no consciousness after death, and hypoxia is the end of life. Therefor, everyone you know that has died, no longer exists, nor will they ever.

2) There is a "depot", like the elysian fields, heaven, hell, purgatory, where people get filed, and you can eventually "meet up".

3) Life goes on. reincarnation, in its most etymological translation is it, and they are living a life, somewhere within the confines of "everywhere", just as you are now.

or everything lives inside your head where you and everyone else are merely characters in your own life.

***I am going to post this in MRP, just in case someone has something personal/emotional to convey that they dont want dismembered and ridiculed. ***

Only if you think so... :wink:

--------------------

--------------------
Disclaimer!?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder, Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder