Home | Community | Message Board

FreeSpores.com
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinefrogsheath
Stranger
Loc: Chicago, Illinois U.S.A.
The Magnificent Ambersons
    #680975 - 06/15/02 08:26 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

Genius.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinefrogsheath
Stranger
Re: The Magnificent Ambersons [Re: frogsheath]
    #690590 - 06/20/02 03:13 PM (15 years, 2 months ago)

By the way I'm talking about the movie directed by Orson Welles. It's shroomy. There is
a lot going on. There is technical virtuosity that just makes you wanna cry (when you hear later that the film was all chopped up, and the ending revised for the studios). The best final credit sequence EVER too! Its not a feel-good movie. It's just absolute genius storytelling. Welles is just great.
peace
urk

Offlinedavidgergen
journeyman

Loc: Philadelphia, PA
    #728286 - 07/07/02 05:39 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

I agree that The Magnificient Ambersons is a pretty amazing film, but I'm curious why you'd call it "shroomy". Can you explain?

BTW, Touch of Evil is my own personal favorite Orson film. I also really enjoy Chimes At Midnight, among his somewhat lesser known works.

Offlinefrogsheath
Stranger
Re: The Magnificent Ambersons [Re: davidgergen]
    #728517 - 07/07/02 08:29 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Good question. Although I was shrooming when I saw it (on T.V.) I think it has psychedelic-inspired qualities that would stand even when viewing NOT under the influence. The story itself is ironic. Irony, for me, is always front and center in my shroom trips. It's always the theme of whatever seems to get my attention --be it fun and games or serious stuff. Reality is the ever elusive "object" (if that makes sense).
The characters in the film seemed delusional (to me) in that same way. Georgie was especially deluded. When reality made its slow, painful descent upon the lives of the characters they refused to see or accept it until it was too late.
Then there is the fantastic techniques that the filmmakers used to tell the story. The sets, costumes, deep-focus cinematography, narrative shifts, expressionist lighting, and soundtrack were all very keen. One example I can point to would be the scene where Georgie is talking to his mother on her death-bed. Did you notice the undulating pattern of lacework shadows that moved on the mother's gaunt face as she spoke? That is downright hallucinatory I think. Or how about that house they lived in? Didn't that remind you of an M.C. Escher interior at times? It was creepy for sure.

Ironically, I kinda agree with Georgie about automobiles being a ridiculous idea. That's just me though. S.tupid U.rban V.ehicles.

Offlinedavidgergen
journeyman

#728558 - 07/07/02 09:00 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

That's some good thoughts on that movie. I've never watched it high, but the film has so much sensuous detail and texture it undoubtedly would lend itself to such viewing.

I'm not aware that Orson Welles was into drugs, but a lot of his movies are kind of trippy, come to think of it, starting with Citizen Kane. Then there's the aforementioned (in my prior post) Touch of Evil (which opens with the world's greatest tracking shot, IMHO), and The Trial, which has many trippy scenes.

Offlinefrogsheath
Stranger
    #728810 - 07/07/02 11:06 AM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, Touch of Evil is really weird (and genius) too. I want to see it again. Thanks for the tips on the other films. I have seen The Lady from Shanghai too. He was married to Rita Hayworth when they made that one. That's another great film.

Offlinedavidgergen
journeyman

#729106 - 07/07/02 01:24 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Re Touch of Evil: dig how the crisscrossing characters in the opening shot visually foreshadow the motif of crisscrossing that is developed throughout the film (dizzily so in the climactic sequence), which in turn relates to the film's geographic/symbolic location on the Mexican-American border.

Trivia (1): It took them all night to get that opening shot right. By the time they got it, it was morning and dawn was breaking -- which actually helped the shot by giving a sense of depth to an otherwise pitch black sky.

Trivia (2): The actor who plays the border guard who speaks to the people in the car right before it blows up was so nervous that he kept blowing his lines, repeatedly ruining takes at the very end. So Welles told him to just move his lips without saying anything, which is what he did. If I recall correctly, Welles himself dubs the voice of the border guard.

Offlinefrogsheath
Stranger
    #729390 - 07/07/02 03:28 PM (15 years, 1 month ago)

Yeah, I have it on video. I think I'll watch it again tonight. That opening scene is one of the all time best shots ever executed in a film. I never realized how it foreshadows the plot of the film. I am surprised they got it in the can in one night. I think I'm gonna smoke before I watch it.
I remember a lot of cool scenes in that film.

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Original Seeds Store Shop: Buy CBD

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media