Home | Community | Message Board

MushroomCube.com
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinejdirty
Is this real?
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: S.W. Louisiana
What powers your Shroomery experience?
    #6790104 - 04/15/07 11:11 AM (17 years, 6 days ago)

I build custom PC's for a living, and I'm interested in knowing what everyone here at the shroomery uses to browse the community, and the internet, in general.

Prolly a buncha dells around, I got a few of em myself. Any overclockers? Enthusiasts? Ghetto Rigs (like without cases and shit)? Watercooled?

What ya'll got?

My main rig is my pride and joy. Completely customized and overclocked to the max (on air).

Vista Home Premium
AMD Athlon X2 4200+ @ 2.7GHz(stock is 2.2ghz) fsb:270x10/166 1.475v
2GB PC3200 RAM @ 231MHz 3-3-4-9
Dual (2) 500GB SATA HD's striped RAID-0 @ 1000.1GB stripe
Radeon X800 GTO2 Limited Edition running core 550 mem 620
A big ass monitor, 8 case fans, antec 480w PSU
All backed up by a APC Back-UPS XS 1500va w/extended runtime battery pack (140mins uptime after power outage).
IPoS terminal for inet connectivity, hacked linksys wireless router running DD-WRT (233 day uptime)
Saitek Eclipse keyboard, logitech click optical mouse
4 2GB USB flashdrives all configured for Vista's ReadyBoost

And last, but prolly not least, three OPEN drive bays in the front, sporting a 120mm case fan blowing into the drive bay area (which has been reconfigured and customized for drying cubensis mushrooms. :wink:

What does the shroomery run on? Dual Procs? RAID-5? 28 server datacenter?

--------------------

I HATE people who take drugs.
Like cops, DEA agents and custom officials

Edited by jdirty (04/15/07 11:31 AM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OnlineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Loc: NY/MA/VT Borderlands Flag
Re: What powers your Shroomery experience? [Re: jdirty]
    #6790150 - 04/15/07 11:30 AM (17 years, 6 days ago)

Heh sounds like we have similar setups. Except I'm sacrificing some raw MHz for improved memory latency and full speed hyperthreading. I went with the 4400+ because of the 1MB of L2 cache.

Windows XP Professional
AMD Athlon X2 4400+ @ 2.42GHz FSB: 220x11/200 1.4125v
2GB PC3200 RAM @ 220MHz 2-3-3-7 1T
Dual 250GB SATA w/ 16MB cache & NCQ in RAID-0
Geforce 7800GT @ 485MHz/2.19GHz
Dual Dell 2007FP 20.1" 4:3 LCDs
D-Link DGL-4300 Router
Logitech G15 keyboard and MX1000 mouse
500 watt Antec PSU, 1000VA Belkin UPS

I think that's about it. You should run Folding@home on that bad boy. :grin:

Offlinejdirty
Is this real?
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: What powers your Shroomery experience? [Re: Ythan]
    #6790167 - 04/15/07 11:37 AM (17 years, 6 days ago)

My only problem is Im using generic memory. I would be able to tighten the timings if I had some better quality memory.

Actually, I'm almost making my current mem crap out at the speed it's at. At 225MHz I was at 2.5-3-3-7 and at 230MHz I had to go down to 3-3-4-9. Thats what I get for not spending what I should have on mem.

--------------------

OnlineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

#6790176 - 04/15/07 11:40 AM (17 years, 6 days ago)

Oh and to answer your other question about what runs the Shroomery... we have a pair of these, one for the web server and one for the database backend. We also have other miscellaneous boxes for mail, IRC, etc. but they're nothing special and we're replacing them with 1U units to save space.

PowerEdge 2850 Server: Intel Xeon processor at 3.6GHz/2MB Cache, 800MHz FSB
Additional Processor: Intel Xeon processor at 3.6GHz/2MB Cache, 800MHz FSB
4 GB DDR2 SDRAM 400MHz (4 DIMMs)
1.44 MB Floppy Disk Drive
36 GB SCSI Hard Drive (15K RPM)
Intel Pro 1000MT Copper Gigabit Network Adapter
24X Max Variable CD ROM Drive
No Operating System
Hard Copy Documentation and OpenManage CD Kit
Rack Chassis w/ No Rails
Shipping Material
No Keyboard Option
Redundant Power Supply With Dual Cords (No Y Cord)
Riser with ROMB and PCI-E Support
Embedded RAID (ROMB) - PERC4ei
Dell Remote Access Card, 4th Generation for PowerEdge
Electronic Documentation and OpenManage CD Kit
No Mouse Option
Drives attached to PERC4
1x6 Hard Drive Backplane,
Floppy Drive Cable
CD Drive Cable
Active ID Bezel

OnlineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

#6790185 - 04/15/07 11:43 AM (17 years, 6 days ago)

Yeah the other shitty thing with the X2 memory controller is that it can't run 4 double-sided sticks at 1T, period. So if you want 2GB you have to go 2x1GB, and the 1GB parts all have worse latency than the 512MB versions. So besides paying more for higher capacity, you pay even MORE for better latency and the RAM ends up costing like twice as much as the CPU. At which point you have to ask yourself how much it all really matters hehe.

Offlinejdirty
Is this real?
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #6790191 - 04/15/07 11:46 AM (17 years, 6 days ago)

I've ventured into folding when I was a member of EOCF, but I choose not to continue folding because my overclock is not dual prime stable. If I run ortho's or any type of dual prime (max each core), I get errors and lockups. Which proves some instability, but some people dont fully go by those results, and I'm one of them. I can game hours on end with no problems, which doesnt say much beings most games rely more heavily on the GPU rather than the CPU. I can prime at 50c for 8 hours with no errors, so it's stable enough for what I do. I'm just afraid the folding will cause some lockups.

Can you assign.. I dont know what to call it, say quota's to folding, so that it dont use more than, lets say 50% of only one core out of a dual core system? If so, I'd consider folding.

--------------------

Offlinejdirty
Is this real?
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #6790206 - 04/15/07 11:50 AM (17 years, 6 days ago)

The first thing that made me frown upon my system was the inability to run my mem at 1T timing. If I change to 1T, it automatically defaults to 2T. I thought it was a memory controller problem, but according to my mobo manuf. the mem I was using only can handle 2T.

I need better ram like I need a joint every morning when I wake up. Just getting to 1T would make me happy, hell, thats about the equivelant to a 20MHz increase in mem speed.

What you think about the new AM2 platform? Cooler runnin' procs with better memory controller support. AMD's first venture into the 65nm process technology

--------------------

InvisibleColonel Kurtz Ph.D
What What?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Shadow Moses
    #6790221 - 04/15/07 11:55 AM (17 years, 6 days ago)

I've always wondered how much space does the database take and how much does the imgae/uploads folders take on this site.

--------------------
:whatwhat:

There's no better way to rock out than with your cock out!!

Offlinejdirty
Is this real?
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #6790225 - 04/15/07 11:58 AM (17 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

Ythan said:
PowerEdge 2850 Server: Intel Xeon processor at 3.6GHz/2MB Cache, 800MHz FSB
Additional Processor: Intel Xeon processor at 3.6GHz/2MB Cache, 800MHz FSB
4 GB DDR2 SDRAM 400MHz (4 DIMMs)
1.44 MB Floppy Disk Drive
Intel Pro 1000MT Copper Gigabit Network Adapter
24X Max Variable CD ROM Drive
No Operating System
Hard Copy Documentation and OpenManage CD Kit
Rack Chassis w/ No Rails
Shipping Material
No Keyboard Option
Redundant Power Supply With Dual Cords (No Y Cord)
Riser with ROMB and PCI-E Support
Embedded RAID (ROMB) - PERC4ei
Dell Remote Access Card, 4th Generation for PowerEdge
Electronic Documentation and OpenManage CD Kit
No Mouse Option
Drives attached to PERC4
1x6 Hard Drive Backplane,
Floppy Drive Cable
CD Drive Cable
Active ID Bezel

That is lovely. I've always fancied PowerEdge rigs. Not too much a fan of Dell, now that I know how to OC, but that should be expected, Dell is still a great company for personal computers and business powerhouses.

--------------------

Offlinejdirty
Is this real?
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #6790253 - 04/15/07 12:07 PM (17 years, 6 days ago)

And I must brag on my latest addition, the APC UPS. Retail value of entire package was 399.95, the UPS w/battery pack. I got it off ebay for 138.00. I damn near like that thing as much as my rig, heh.

Once I can get some better mem, this thing will do better, I know it. I've booted at 2.9, but the mem held me back. I've got a good stepping, and I even have a brand new spare X2 4200 (same stepping) incase I blow this one.

Ever use PCPitStop.com? Pretty cool site that runs some basic and general benchmarks and compares them to other PC's with similiar configs. Not very precise benchmark data, but a great general reference for PC performance. I've gotten up to a 3400 on that site, but with a different rig that someone spend ALOT of money on. The one im on now pushes a 3000-3100, at stock it runs around 2400.

--------------------

Edited by jdirty (04/15/07 12:09 PM)

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male

Loc: California
    #6790332 - 04/15/07 12:38 PM (17 years, 6 days ago)

I use IRC from this "beast" (total ghetto rig, headless)
Quote:

$ uname -a
Linux bluemoon 2.6.18-4-686 #1 SMP Wed Feb 21 16:06:54 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux

$ free -m
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 376 361 15 0 12 271

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
processor : 0
vendor_id : GenuineIntel
cpu family : 6
model : 8
model name : Celeron (Coppermine)
stepping : 10
cpu MHz : 897.336
cache size : 128 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 2
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse up
bogomips : 1796.01

I do most everything else from this little Compaq Presario laptop:
Quote:

$ uname -a
Linux patron 2.6.18-4-686 #1 SMP Mon Mar 26 17:17:36 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux

$ free -m
Mem: 495 482 12 0 79 95

$ cat /proc/cpuinfo
cpu family : 6
model : 14
model name : Intel(R) Celeron(R) M CPU 430 @ 1.73GHz
stepping : 8
cpu MHz : 1729.208
cache size : 1024 KB
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 10
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat clflush dts acpi mmx fxsr sse sse2 ss tm pbe nx constant_tsc up pni monitor tm2 xtpr
bogomips : 3461.93

Both boxes run Debian GNU/Linux; one is running etch, the other is running sid.

--------------------
delta9

OnlineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

#6790343 - 04/15/07 12:41 PM (17 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

Can you assign.. I dont know what to call it, say quota's to folding, so that it dont use more than, lets say 50% of only one core out of a dual core system? If so, I'd consider folding.

Yes, at least with the console version. You can give it 1% to 100% of available CPU time. :smile:

Quote:

I need better ram like I need a joint every morning when I wake up. Just getting to 1T would make me happy, hell, thats about the equivelant to a 20MHz increase in mem speed.

Yeah I splurged on my RAM and it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling to run at 1T, but you definitely start running into diminished returns... I mean that 'extra 20MHz' and the nice 2-2-2-5 timings at stock speeds almost double the price, compared to value RAM. So as an obsessive geek I totally understand your desire to hit 1T but practially speaking you probably made the better choice. :wink:

Quote:

What you think about the new AM2 platform? Cooler runnin' procs with better memory controller support. AMD's first venture into the 65nm process technology

I think AMD screwed up with AM2. The benefits are dubious and 939 still had some life left in it. By phasing it out when they did, AMD is forcing their large installed base of 939 users to choose between the anemic AM2 or the superior Core 2 Duo. If they made an 65nm X2 5800+ or something which I could drop into my existing system, they'd have me for another upgrade. But as it is, my next CPU will probably be a Core 2 Duo (or more likely the 45nm quad or octo core variant). They should have waited to switch platforms until they had something a little more competitive on the CPU side.

Quote:

I've always wondered how much space does the database take and how much does the imgae/uploads folders take on this site.

The forum database is a total of 2.5GB, including all the tables and indexes. Just the posts with no indexes are 1.7GB. The main site is a whopping 59.4MB including all the past revisions of documents. The images and uploads for the BB are 28GB.

Quote:

That is lovely. I've always fancied PowerEdge rigs. Not too much a fan of Dell, now that I know how to OC, but that should be expected, Dell is still a great company for personal computers and business powerhouses.

Yeah I haven't been that thrilled with what they call their "business class" support. But the deal on those servers was too good to pass up. We got them in August 2005 for $3k each, with 3 year "next day" onsite support.

Quote:

Ever use PCPitStop.com? Pretty cool site that runs some basic and general benchmarks and compares them to other PC's with similiar configs. Not very precise benchmark data, but a great general reference for PC performance. I've gotten up to a 3400 on that site, but with a different rig that someone spend ALOT of money on. The one im on now pushes a 3000-3100, at stock it runs around 2400.

I try not to get too into competitive benchmarking, because I just end up depressed that my system is slower than the guy who had an extra $100 to spend. I compete with myself to try and tweak out my existing hardware. :smile: But the hard part is that stability is just as important to me as speed, and that's not as easy to measure. I usually end up running SP2004 Orthos for 12 - 24 hours after making any changes, which obviously can make optimization a pretty time-consuming process.

I think I'm starting to get old though. Or maybe computers are just getting so fast. I don't care as much about eeking out an extra .5% on benchmarks anymore. It used to be tweaking was the end in itself. Now it's just a means. Once things are "good enough" I'm more inclined to just let them be. It's kind of sad actually. But I guess I switched my interest more to the software side, I still spend lots of time customizing my programs to be as fast and efficient as possible for my use.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
    #6790360 - 04/15/07 12:46 PM (17 years, 6 days ago)

ASUS P5B Motherboard
Intel Core 2 2.3Ghz
4GB DDR RAM
Windows 2000 Professional (which only uses 2 of my 4 GB dammit!)
Small Linux Red Hat boot partition, kernel complied with PAE so it does use all 4 GB
NVIDIA GeForce dual head
Dual Viewsonic 21" LCD
2 x 750 GB SATA (one primary, one dedicated backup)
D-Link router
Microsoft wireless mouse
500W generic power supply
Big rackmount UPS
Generic industrial rackmount case

I have a couple of older machines on a KVM switch for messing around and testing.

I use Acronis True Image for backup and also as my uninstaller. The first 750gb drive is partitioned into C: for OS and application installs and D: for everything else.

The second 750gb drive is one big partition used only to store Acronis images of C: and D:.

When I'm going to install something, I first image C: to the backup drive. If I don't like what I installed, I boot off CD and restore the image. This guarantees no uninstall pollution left in my registry and file system.

About once a month, I make clean images of both C: and D: to the backup drive.

May seem like overkill, but my data is an irreplaceable 30+ year record of my life since I started playing with computers. It's like a child to me. Losing it to a dead hard disk or virus is not an option. :noway:

Oh, and my keyboard is an original off an IBM 360 mainframe. It weighs about 20 lbs. Nothing built since even comes close. I love this thing, and it contains about two weeks worth of food crumbs for use in case of emergency:

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

OnlineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

Re: What powers your Shroomery experience? [Re: Diploid]
    #6790396 - 04/15/07 12:55 PM (17 years, 6 days ago)

You're preaching to the choir here. :grin: As I'd hope everyone in S&T knows, "data you don't backup is data you don't want". Right now I backup to other systems on my network, but eventually I'll get one big storage drive like yours to simplify things.

And jdirty that UPS is sweet, you got one hell of a deal. People always forget about power backup and conditioning but if you have a nice system it's pretty essential. I wish I had more than 1000VA but since I have LCDs instead of CRTs it does okay in a pinch.

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male

#6790397 - 04/15/07 12:55 PM (17 years, 6 days ago)

Nice keyboard
(++Diploid)

--------------------
delta9

Offlinedelta9
Active Ingredient
Male

#6790402 - 04/15/07 12:56 PM (17 years, 6 days ago)

Quote:

Ythan said:
You're preaching to the choir here. :grin: As I'd hope everyone in S&T knows, "data you don't backup is data you don't want". Right now I backup to other systems on my network, but eventually I'll get one big storage drive like yours to simplify things.

Definately agreed.  I currently have data redundancy between my two boxes, plus stored on two external hard drives and I have CDs if I need something portable and don't want to use my enclosure.

--------------------
delta9

InvisibleColonel Kurtz Ph.D
What What?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Shadow Moses
    #6790420 - 04/15/07 01:00 PM (17 years, 6 days ago)

My specs:

Linux Belcebu 2.6.18-dcc-smp #1 SMP PREEMPT Wed Oct 18 12:30:24 EDT 2006 i686 GNU/Linux
Mem: 1011 986 24 0 326 331
-/+ buffers/cache: 328 682
Swap: 1516 8 1508
cpu family : 15
model : 4
model name : Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.20GHz
stepping : 3
cpu MHz : 3200.000
cache size : 2048 KB

Running Xandros Linux 4.1, but I might change soon to Kubuntu or Debian, Xandros is never up to the latest trends.

Ythan, that's amazing! Pretty sure about 20GB out of those 28 are pr0n related...

--------------------
:whatwhat:

There's no better way to rock out than with your cock out!!

Offlinejdirty
Is this real?
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #6790439 - 04/15/07 01:07 PM (17 years, 6 days ago)

Thats about the best response I've had to an AM2 question. Exactly the same reason I'm a little T'd at AMD. It was like BAM! no more 939. So everyone who has a 939, one being myself, is forced to upgrade the entire chipset (mobo) in order to take advantage of new..er technology.

Intel's quad and c2d's completely obliterate whatever AMD puts in front of it. I'm not familiar with OC'n intels, although its supposedly similar, but very different in the same aspect. My next rig will also more than likely be an intel based system. I'm not much into the benchmarking, but I do like to get a general idea of how my config hold up to others with similar setups/configs. I know through comparative benchmarking with 3dmark, intel is straight fucking over AMD right now.

I use the same version of orthos, mine is not stable enough for extended dual 100% with large FFT's (or is it FTT's..) But, using different tests, such as the smaller ones, it runs dual 100% for 12+ hours. But it all goes back to my cheap mem. which will always hold me back.

You got a special CPU cooler? I got a TT Big Typhoon w/ my own application of AS5, dropped my temps 11c on average, 7c was achieved with the heatpipe, the other 4c was dropped by using the AS5.

If I wasn't slammin' 1.475v through the CPU, it would run cooler, and even though thats not the limit on the X2's, my 110w version starts skyrocketing at 1.5v. It will idle at 40-42c, but priming brings it up to 55-57, which IMO, is a tad bit too hot for X2's. 1.475 seems to hold it below my personal limit of 55c, which is still 5c hotter than some would recommend.

I forgot to mention another problem I have thats keeping me from hittin a solid 2.9-3.0 with my hardware. My mobo dont have PCI locks, and right now, at 2.7, some would say thats too fast without PCI locks, but it hold up. I've had complete kernel corruptions a few times while OC'n, which is due to OC'n the PCI bus because i don't have locks. Nothin chkdsk didn't fix, but it's still inconvenient.

I just realized, I enjoy talking about this shit too much. I need to try to figure out why windows update has failed with errors for the past 2 months, cause microsoft dont know, and I havent had any updates in 2 months.

--------------------

OnlineYthanA
ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
Male User Gallery

#6790549 - 04/15/07 01:36 PM (17 years, 6 days ago)

I've got a Zalman CNPS7700-Cu and a VF900-Cu for the Geforce. My CPU runs about 54c at full load, which in my case is 24/7 because I'm folding. I was bummed, I got mine right before they switched from 110W to 89W for the X2s. Like you said it is on the warm side, but it's stable for months on end, and I plan to upgrade before electromigration ever becomes a problem. Anyway depending on how you look at it, that's only 27c per core. :wink:

For what it's worth, I also had data corruption (even with my dinky 10% overclock) until I locked the PCI to 33MHz. It seems like there isn't a whole lot of tolerance these days even with good motherboards.

And yeah this stuff is entirely too much fun to talk about. My dad's a computer nerd like me and when I go to visit, the rest of my family complains that we need to speak damn English once in a while. :wink:

Offlinejdirty
Is this real?
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
    #6790556 - 04/15/07 01:39 PM (17 years, 6 days ago)

yea, I feel that.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Mushroom-Hut Mono Tub Substrate   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale