Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinestuckinabeat
Stranger
question on air pumps relation with humidity using perlite? also moisture on cakes
    #6788218 - 04/14/07 06:46 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

hey everyone,
this is my first post here so i just wanted to tell everyone that i really like this forum and everyone on here seems very nice.  Hopefully i will be on here for a long time :smile:

my question is this.  I am using a rubbermaid FC  with about 1 to 1.5" of perlite at bottom.  I have an air pump go to fc through hole in top side of it.  Does this air pump do anything for my humidity like this or is it only for fresh air exchange because i am also fanning about  3 times daily.

i have had no pinning yet after 9 days. My concerns are that water drops from top of FC on cakes sometimes.  But i dont know if humidity is really that high.  The room my FC is in is usually fairly cold.  Sorry for so much info but i have been doing my research and cannot find what im looking for.  Thanks in advance.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: question on air pumps relation with humidity using perlite? also moisture on cakes [Re: stuckinabeat]
    #6788394 - 04/14/07 07:35 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

The water drops are condensation. I'd get the fish pump out of there and fan for air exchange. Leave the lid loose if necessary for constant fresh air. Make sure you're not heating the fruiting chamber or that will produce excess condensation as well. You want three to four inches of perlite, not 1 1/2. Good luck and welcome.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinestuckinabeat
Stranger
Re: question on air pumps relation with humidity using perlite? also moisture on cakes [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6788719 - 04/14/07 09:06 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

so should i take the cakes out and change the perlite level?  I read something about putting vasoline on top of FC lid to help with droplets.  Do you think the fact that the room tempurature that the FC is in is sometimes cold.  I feel leary of leaving top loose because it seems like humidity would drop.  WOuld fanning be sufficient.  THanks much. :smile:

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: question on air pumps relation with humidity using perlite? also moisture on cakes [Re: stuckinabeat]
    #6788790 - 04/14/07 09:28 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I have dozens of holes drilled into my terrariums on all six sides for air exchange. I'd suggest that, and more perlite. There really shouldn't be much condensation unless there is a temperature differential between the terrarium and the room it's in, especially if you'll drill holes as suggested. My terrariums maintian humidity in the 95% to 99% range with all those holes and three to five inches of rinsed, then well drained perlite.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinestuckinabeat
Stranger
Re: question on air pumps relation with humidity using perlite? also moisture on cakes [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6789274 - 04/15/07 12:20 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Ok i will give that a try. Do you think i should put some sort of filter over the holes? If i am using that much perlite i will have to buy a new container of some sort,the one I'm using right now is too shallow. I was thinking maybe the reason it is taking so long to pin (9 days now) is because i couldn't birth them when they should have been. 3 pins popped up right away and after that nothing.

I am starting to see a lot of knots now on a few of them does this change anything? they are not large knots they are small like i have read about.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Mix