Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]
Offlinefireworks_godS
Sexy.Butt.McDanger
Male

Loc: Pandurn
Re: How do we get gold? Is it created, grown, or is it just there? Conservation of matter??? [Re: fireworks_god]
    #6787395 - 04/14/07 03:11 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Actually, a different source states that gold only dissolves in cyanide. :shrug:

--------------------
:redpanda:
If I should die this very moment
I wouldn't fear
For I've never known completeness
Like being here
Wrapped in the warmth of you
Loving every breath of you

:heartpump: :bunnyhug: :yinyang:

:yinyang: :levitate: :earth: :levitate: :yinyang:

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleLe_Canard
The Duk Abides

Loc: Earthfarm 1 Flag
Re: How do we get gold? Is it created, grown, or is it just there? Conservation of matter??? [Re: pscyanescens]
    #6787396 - 04/14/07 03:11 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Yes, you can grow your own gold using only a screwdriver and a container of orange juice. If you add toothpaste, you can make LSD.

OfflineHighTek
A FunkyPhoenician
Male User Gallery

Loc: In your pants.
Re: How do we get gold? Is it created, grown, or is it just there? Conservation of matter??? [Re: pscyanescens]
    #6787397 - 04/14/07 03:11 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

pscyanescens said:
So you are saying that two elements can combine to form a completely new element under certain conditions? In this case high amounts of heat, and under thees certain conditions it can actually cause a change in the nucleus of the Hydrogen and Helium to create or combine into a different nucleus of a Lithium atom?

This is quite new to me and very interesting. I am quite curious.

Its called fusion... thats how elements were made, from stars. Once the nucleus fuses, it creates energy...hence, the heat of the sun. i sense sarcasm... (if thats possible thru written words)

Edited by HighTek (04/14/07 03:17 PM)

InvisibletrendalM Happy Birthday!
J♠
Male User Gallery

Loc: Ontario, Canada Flag
    #6787426 - 04/14/07 03:20 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

pscyanescens said:
So you are saying that two elements can combine to form a completely new element under certain conditions? In this case high amounts of heat, and under thees certain conditions it can actually cause a change in the nucleus of the Hydrogen and Helium to create or combine into a different nucleus of a Lithium atom?

This is quite new to me and very interesting. I am quite curious.

Yes thats called nuclear fusion and it's responsible (along with a few other things) for everything you see around you!

An atom is made up of two or three components: a proton and neutron in the nucleus, surrounded by a cloud of electrons. The number of protons in the nucleus is the most important thing to remember for each element: hydrogen has 1 proton, helium has 2, lithium has 3, and gold has 79.

Fusion then is the process of fusing to atoms together, by sticking their protons together. If you fuse two hydrogen atoms, you'll have a helium atom. 1 + 1 = 2

Things in reality are a little more complicated, due to the presence of neutrons in the nucleus of everything except hydrogen.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.
But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.

InvisibleInnominate
Male

Re: How do we get gold? Is it created, grown, or is it just there? Conservation of matter??? [Re: Le_Canard]
    #6787457 - 04/14/07 03:31 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

ToiletDuk said:
Yes, you can grow your own gold using only a screwdriver and a container of orange juice. If you add toothpaste, you can make LSD.

That's wrong. You have to pour the mixture onto potato bread and bury it for 10 days until you can get LSD from it.

Offlinepscyanescens
The Raindancer
Male User Gallery

Loc: Santa Cruz, CA
Re: How do we get gold? Is it created, grown, or is it just there? Conservation of matter??? [Re: HighTek]
    #6787460 - 04/14/07 03:33 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Really. So where are the electrons? I guess that valence has everything to do with the combination of atoms to create molecules and compounds, but we are actually talking about the creation of the atoms themselves, right?

So does everything begin with a burning ball of Hydrogen? Or is it plasma that we are talking about? Is it the same thing?

--------------------
----------------
"With an abundance of Cyanescens... i would never touch another Cubensis again."

OfflineHighTek
A FunkyPhoenician
Male User Gallery

#6787477 - 04/14/07 03:39 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

plasma is a state of matter....ionized gas. Since its ionized, it means that it carries a charge...so it has electrons. The ionized gas is heated by the fusion that is going on inside the star.

Offlinepscyanescens
The Raindancer
Male User Gallery

#6787479 - 04/14/07 03:40 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Trendal: Thanks, this is all starting to make a little more sense. So what you are trying to say is that the gold on earth has a set or determined combined molecular weight that will not change over time ever. I guess unless it came from space somehow???

SO gold is not grown like a diamond or precious gem? Or not grown at all on our planet, correct?

--------------------
----------------
"With an abundance of Cyanescens... i would never touch another Cubensis again."

Offlinepscyanescens
The Raindancer
Male User Gallery

#6787499 - 04/14/07 03:48 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

So plasma is ionized gas that contains electrons, but if the nuclei of the gas is not bound to the actual electrons are they just freely roaming?

Quote:

Since its ionized, it means that it carries a charge...so it has electrons.

I thought it only carries a charge if the electrons and protrons are not equally balanced? Does it contain electrons that are just unproperly balanced with the protrons? I think i may be confusing this with radicals however.

--------------------
----------------

OfflineHighTek
A FunkyPhoenician
Male User Gallery

#6787518 - 04/14/07 03:52 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

pscyanescens said:
I was told that gold on quarts is worth much more then the gold by itself, this is because it is shown in it's natural state of development. I am not positive but i have heard that gold grows on quarts.

This has been answered.
Quote:

pscyanescens said:
I am most concerned because gold is an element, the building blocks of everything we know that exists. Elements to my knowledge are the most basic form of matter, and the smallest building block we know of that matter is comprised of.

Forms (states) of matter are Liquid, gas, solid, plasma... Elements is matter broken down to its simplest stage.
Quote:

pscyanescens said:
The very first laws of chemistry i have learned is the basic conservation of matter. This law states that matter cannot be created or destroyed. If this is true then how is gold grown or created by mother nature?

Matter undergoes structural change to make these elements. Nuclear fusion...etc.

Offlinepscyanescens
The Raindancer
Male User Gallery

Re: How do we get gold? Is it created, grown, or is it just there? Conservation of matter??? [Re: fireworks_god]
    #6787528 - 04/14/07 03:55 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

fireworks_god said:
Actually, a different source states that gold only dissolves in cyanide. :shrug:

I heard the most common way used to purify or refine gold today is mixture of Nitric and HCl Acid which is called aqua regina.  My friend uses this to extract gold from broken computer parts, disk drives, and any other gold containing components. He has showed me a 3 oz. nugget that he extracted from his computer parts. He owns a technical recyclers warehouse so he gets to play with a lot of that kind of stuff.

--------------------
----------------

OfflineHighTek
A FunkyPhoenician
Male User Gallery

#6787536 - 04/14/07 03:56 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

pscyanescens said:
So plasma is ionized gas that contains electrons, but if the nuclei of the gas is not bound to the actual electrons are they just freely roaming?

Quote:

Since its ionized, it means that it carries a charge...so it has electrons.

I thought it only carries a charge if the electrons and protrons are not equally balanced? Does it contain electrons that are just unproperly balanced with the protrons? I think i may be confusing this with radicals however.

"Ionized" means that at least one electron has been dissociated from, or added to, a proportion of the atoms or molecules.
Wikipedia Plasma (physics)

J♠
Male User Gallery

#6787544 - 04/14/07 04:00 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

pscyanescens said:
Trendal: Thanks, this is all starting to make a little more sense. So what you are trying to say is that the gold on earth has a set or determined combined molecular weight that will not change over time ever. I guess unless it came from space somehow???

SO gold is not grown like a diamond or precious gem? Or not grown at all on our planet, correct?

Yes! Gold has 79 protons and it will always have 79 protons. Whatever gold is on Earth now, was on it to begin with. It came from the cloud of stardust that the Earth formed from. It was originally some hydrogen/helium inside a star that was fused together x number of times until it became gold and was spewed out into space by the exploding star.

Gold is not grown like a diamond or precious stone. It isn't made from any natural source on Earth.

--------------------
Once, men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free.

InvisibleAsante
Omnicyclion prophet
Male User Gallery

Re: How do we get gold? Is it created, grown, or is it just there? Conservation of matter??? [Re: HighTek]
    #6787551 - 04/14/07 04:01 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Here's gold nuggets, as found in rivers and mineral deposits:

Quote:

Atoms are protons, electrons, and neutrons...perhaps you meant the Gold molecule?

The relationship is thus: the number of protons in the nucleus determines which atom it is. Protons need glue to stick them together, and this glue are neutrons. Within reasonable limits, the number of neutrons in the nucleus is negotiable. If there's too little of them the nucleus will fall apart, if there are too many neutrons in the nucleus, the surplus will be kicked out of the atom with speeds in the order of tens of thousands of miles per second. The number of neutrons determines the isotope of the atom.

Electrons are the biggest sluts of the universe: they dance around the nucleus, but will do so around any nucleus that wants some. If the TV or carpet gives you a static shock, this is a bunch of them entering, or leaving you for someone else. When a nucleus gets too excited, the electrons are the first to abandon ship. Sluts I tell you!
These bare nuclei are called a plasma.

So what makes an atom? Screw electrons, who needs em! If you got gold heated to a plasma of say 10.000'C the electrons will make a run for it in a tremendous zap of electricity, and you're left with a luminous gas. If that cools, the gold nuclei will attract electrons from the flask, the guy holding the flask and the planet he stands on, and condenses on the walls and solidifies to gold as we know it.

The neutrons are negotiable, but gold as we know it is a bit choosy. If you add an extra neutron to it it spits it out in a short while, as screaming neutron radiation. For this reason a nuke is way more dangerous if it goes off in a gold box, than when it goes off in the open air or soil. But if you happen to have a bucket of gold that's got one less neutron than found here on earth I'll merrily take that unnatural gold off you :grin:

The only thing that to me proves an object is extraterrestrial is if it has unusual numbers of neutrons in its atoms: this is a sign that it is made from the stardust of other stars than the few who were in our neighborhood these past billion years.

The thing that really determines which atom you have is the number of protons in it. If you put some hydrogen atoms on a platinum anvil and give it a godforce whack then the platinum will absorb a hydrogen atom and become a gold atom. Or you can take a chisel and chip a proton off of mercury, which turns that into gold. The problem is that you have to give it such a beastly wallop that to create the gold thats in one of these nuggets above, the smack of your hammer will wipe out a large part of your town. No gold nugget is remotely worth investing so much energy on, so these whacks are usually only given to create atoms and isotopes unknown to science, as studying these advances the knowledge of mankind significantly.

Oh and we're not stuck with a fixed amount of gold on earth. Earth is a dustball that attracts more and more stardust. Even as we speak, gold and platinum are raining down on us from the heavens, and there is gold and platinum in every breath you take, gold and platinum that has freshly rained down from the universe.

--------------------
Omnicyclion.org
higher knowledge starts here

J♠
Male User Gallery

Re: How do we get gold? Is it created, grown, or is it just there? Conservation of matter??? [Re: Asante]
    #6787580 - 04/14/07 04:08 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

as screaming neutron (beta) radiation.

Beta radiation is either an electron or positron at high velocity.

Neutron radiation is just called neutron radiation :wink:

MOD EDIT: nitpicker :crankey:

--------------------

Edited by Wiccan_Seeker (04/14/07 04:13 PM)

OfflineGreenScreen
bidibodi bidibu
 User Gallery

Loc: ation
    #6787595 - 04/14/07 04:11 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

HighTek said:
Atoms are protons, electrons, and neutrons...perhaps you meant the Gold molecule?

No, I meant atoms. Pure gold is just a large clump of gold atoms. A molecule is more than one atom chemically bonded to each other. Most stable elements in their pure for are just a bunch of atoms clumped together, with the exception of ones like hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, fluorine, bromine, and iodine which exist as diatomic molecules in nature(H2, O2, N2, F2, Br2, I2)

--------------------

OfflineHighTek
A FunkyPhoenician
Male User Gallery

Re: How do we get gold? Is it created, grown, or is it just there? Conservation of matter??? [Re: GreenScreen]
    #6787605 - 04/14/07 04:13 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

GreenScreen said:
Quote:

HighTek said:

No, I meant atoms. Pure gold is just a large clump of gold atoms. A molecule is more than one atom chemically bonded to each other. Most stable elements in their pure for are just a bunch of atoms clumped together, with the exception of ones like hydrogen, oxygen, nitrogen, fluorine, bromine, and iodine which exist as diatomic molecules in nature(H2, O2, N2, F2, Br2, I2)

Yeah, ur right...sorry...

Offlinepscyanescens
The Raindancer
Male User Gallery

Re: How do we get gold? Is it created, grown, or is it just there? Conservation of matter??? [Re: trendal]
    #6787611 - 04/14/07 04:14 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

OK thanks for all the info. It will take a minute to soak it all in. I will do some reading and maybe that will help as well. Thanks again.

I am just curious because i got back from my first gold mining and gem mining adventure just recently.

Just curious does anyone know how Ruby and Sapphire have the exact same chemical composition but could be many different colors? Aluminum Oxide AL2 O3. Same with diamonds. It is just a bunch of Carbon atoms, but somehow the atoms can be different colors? Does anyone know what causes this?

--------------------
----------------

OfflineGreenScreen
bidibodi bidibu
 User Gallery

Loc: ation
    #6787618 - 04/14/07 04:17 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Don't worry about it. I wasn't bitching or anything, I just went back and read it and it sounded like I was a little, I didn't mean it like that though. :smile:

--------------------

OfflineHighTek
A FunkyPhoenician
Male User Gallery

#6787624 - 04/14/07 04:17 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

impurities, structural anomalies...

Jump to top Pages: < Back | 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies