Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinetalljim
Stranger
Substrate questions
    #6781414 - 04/12/07 11:46 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

A FOAF has a large (for his neighborhood) suburban lot, a 1/2 acre. There is a lot of organic debris (yard waste). He wants to rent a chipper/shredder for this stuff. He wants to know if this can be used as a substrate for wood-lovers.

The debris consists of; dead-fall from maple trees, fresh cut maple branches, forsythia and other shrub prunings (including roses), semi-woody weeds, and last years bamboo, the last of which is about 40% of the total.

Question 1) Would all of this mixed together be a good substrate for the wood-lovers? Or should he keep the hardwood separate? And/or the dead-fall from the fresh cut maple?

Question 2) He has also been using the dead-fall branches/twigs as a mulch around the trees for several years prior to this year. Would wood-lovers (no pun intended) like this as a substrate/location to grow? The trees are close together and mature, so the area is well shaded, only moss, and some weeds, grow near them.

Question 3) I know the "fertilizer" question has been beaten to death. But my searches have brought up nothing about "ORGANIC" fertilizer. this particular brand has "manure, animal tankage, crab meal, cocoa meal, corn gluten, bone meal, dried blood, sunflower meal, kelp meal, alfalfa meal, greensand, rock phosphate, sulfate of potash,..." as it's main ingredients. Would this be a good amendment to a wood-lovers' and/or a dung-lovers' substrate?

Thank you all for a wonderful resource for us noobs!

I'm drunk right now and am filled with love and appreciation for you all.

In the morning, when I'm hung over, I will hate the world. LOL

Jim

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Offlinemikemushroom
Castaneda Fan
Male

Loc: Outside Your Window
Re: Substrate questions [Re: talljim]
    #6781557 - 04/13/07 12:37 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Being a noob, you should stick with the tried and true methods. I suggest growing some cubes until you get the hang of things. Cubes are EZ.

MM

--------------------
Want to be of the shaman mind? Carlos Castaneda is the godfather of the New Age Movement which is based off the peyote & shroom eating natives in Mexico.

Read his library of books to expand your mind.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck, Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds, Bulk Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Bulk Substrate, North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies