Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinewhythewho
outdoor mushroomfarmer
Male

Loc: .inside a t.hundercloud.
Mushrooms In Northeastern Oklahoma
    #6770605 - 04/10/07 02:40 PM (17 years, 10 days ago)

so a couple weeks ago, when it was warmer and it rained good, i went out and found these morels in my secret spot. I find morels there every year, its a nice gulley between two cow fields, in the gulley there are sycamore, elm and other trees growing. The morels i find are usually within 15 feet of a sycamore tree, huddled in the leaves. Heres a batch i found, i found two or three like it since then, but it is too cold now to find any....

i was inspired by stamets, so i washed them all in a tub of water, and saved the water. A day or two later i sprinkled it upon a debris pile of sycamore leaves, twigs and sticks. I covered this with a couple inches of manure enriched soil, and now i await the first signs of colonization.

Has anyone else found any morels?
what micro-climates do you find them in?
under what trees?
have you tried cultivating them? if so, how?
discuss!

--------------------
Spiral out.... keep going...
spiral out!

Edited by whythewho (04/24/07 09:07 PM)

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
Re: Morels In Northeastern Oklahoma [Re: whythewho]
    #6770656 - 04/10/07 02:51 PM (17 years, 10 days ago)

Beautiful!  I like that you are spreading the spores!  :smile:

--------------------

InvisiblePsychoslut
The Mother Fucking Bear-o-dactyl
 User Gallery
Loc: all up in ya
    #6770662 - 04/10/07 02:52 PM (17 years, 10 days ago)

I made an outdoor bed out of fresh hardwood chips, soil, leaves and burnt wood ashes/pieces. I inoculated it the same way you did. Funny thing is I only get about 10 mushrooms per season from the bed, most the fruits come up about 30 feet away from the spot I planted the spores.

--------------------

[quote]KristiMidocean said:
Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

Offlinexmush
Professor ofDoom
Male User Gallery

Loc: Jaw-juh
    #6770788 - 04/10/07 03:20 PM (17 years, 10 days ago)

Great find!

Offlinewhythewho
outdoor mushroomfarmer
Male

Re: Morels In Northeastern Oklahoma [Re: xmush]
    #6770911 - 04/10/07 03:46 PM (17 years, 10 days ago)

hey psychoslut, do you water the bed?
is it located in the shade?

--------------------
spiral out!

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
    #6771219 - 04/10/07 05:12 PM (17 years, 10 days ago)

no i dont do anything to it, i just let nature do it all.

it is in the shade.

--------------------

Good now thats clear.WHO FUCKING CARES. If I am fat u all keep pointing it out like its suppose to be a secret.LIke u really have nothing better to do then make fat jokes. If o know its like I do I know yall can come up with NEW AND BETTER SHIT . This shit is old and boring . I left in the first place cause this shit got boring not because of the fat jokes . Fat jokes dont bother me but seriously its old[/quote]

Offlinepsilog
{o:o}
Male User Gallery

Loc: home on the range
    #6771532 - 04/10/07 06:28 PM (17 years, 10 days ago)

dang man!!! that is a nice haul!!!  I gotta check out those sycamores!  :thumbup:

--------------------

Invisiblespores
haploid
 User Gallery

Loc: Washington
    #6772130 - 04/10/07 08:13 PM (17 years, 10 days ago)

nice ones!

I have (for lack of a better word) cultivated morels in a plum orchard right next to my mom's house by dumping wash water there.  they've been fruiting there every spring since (the past 5 years or so).

unfortunately the landowner took out the most productive piece of orchard just a few weeks ago.  but here's a couple shots from last spring's flush...

found ONE just barely poking up there sunday morning, hopefully there are more on the way :smile:...

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
Re: Morels In Northeastern Oklahoma [Re: spores]
    #6772288 - 04/10/07 08:35 PM (17 years, 10 days ago)

WOAH!!!

That is the most hands-off, high yielding patch of morels I have seen!

--------------------

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
Re: Morels In Northeastern Oklahoma [Re: spores]
    #6772859 - 04/10/07 10:15 PM (17 years, 10 days ago)

Quote:

spores said:
nice ones!

I have (for lack of a better word) cultivated morels in a plum orchard right next to my mom's house by dumping wash water there.  they've been fruiting there every spring since (the past 5 years or so).

unfortunately the landowner took out the most productive piece of orchard just a few weeks ago.  but here's a couple shots from last spring's flush...

found ONE just barely poking up there sunday morning, hopefully there are more on the way :smile:...

wow man that is really cool. I seen that many morels together only one time and it was in the middle of a big city back behind a kfc. Apparently a guy dumped morel wash water there the season before.

--------------------

Offlineelectronicmaji
Stranger

Re: Morels In Northeastern Oklahoma [Re: Psychoslut]
    #6773020 - 04/10/07 10:47 PM (17 years, 10 days ago)

Im gonna go hunting in rural northwest AR see if I find any morels.

Offlinewhythewho
outdoor mushroomfarmer
Male

Re: Morels In Northeastern Oklahoma [Re: electronicmaji]
    #6774117 - 04/11/07 07:51 AM (17 years, 9 days ago)

wow! thats a great morel patch you've conjured up there,
sad to hear of its destruction! If you were that successful with spore water in plain dirt, im sure ill be successful with my debris piles and woodchip mulch.

Hunting should be good in these parts for the next couple days, we just got a decent rain, im thinking ill go out tonight and check for signs of life.

A sad fact, but it might be good for spotting the morels:
last week we had a hard frost in the lower 20's. killed everything cultivated, including radishes, cabbage and turnips, i was very sad. All the oak leaves had leafed out, flowered, and now their leaves are all dead and falling off, i dont think there will be and apples, acorns, peaches and such this year, in fact it even killed the mayapples! I was very sad about this, but now i realize i wont have so much living matter in my field of vision, and i should be able to see more MORELS!!

come on tho, anyone else in this area bringin home the goods?

--------------------
spiral out!

Offlinewhythewho
outdoor mushroomfarmer
Male

#6774125 - 04/11/07 07:54 AM (17 years, 9 days ago)

oh and another thing, i found a buyer or three who will pay 50 dollars a pound for fresh morels! They want as many as i can supply, a restaurant, and ive been seriously contemplating giving up my 50 dollar an 8-hour day job and chasing the morel season up into the great lakes, has anyone else heard about this or considered doing it? wanna start a caravan?

--------------------
spiral out!

OfflineRansford
Stranger
    #6774322 - 04/11/07 09:39 AM (17 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

whythewho said:
oh and another thing, i found a buyer or three who will pay 50 dollars a pound for fresh morels! They want as many as i can supply, a restaurant, and ive been seriously contemplating giving up my 50 dollar an 8-hour day job and chasing the morel season up into the great lakes, has anyone else heard about this or considered doing it? wanna start a caravan?

Up here every season i find a couple pounds, sell half to a bar for $40 a pound and have a community cook-out with the rest. Morel season doesn't start for about antoher month here in the great lakes region.

Offlineelectronicmaji
Stranger

Re: Morels In Northeastern Oklahoma [Re: Ransford]
    #6775470 - 04/11/07 02:47 PM (17 years, 9 days ago)

Well if theyre paying that much wouldn't it just be easier to take your morels make some print and grow em yourself? I might go searching for morels in nw ar I will see if I find any.

Offlineshagg
nottanub
Male

Loc: South
    #6775520 - 04/11/07 02:56 PM (17 years, 9 days ago)

morels are edible but not active correct?

--------------------
I like good ratings too ..

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
    #6775553 - 04/11/07 03:02 PM (17 years, 9 days ago)

yep just as simple as that :lol:

--------------------

InvisiblegeorgeM
Human
 User Gallery

Loc: Osage Cuestas
Trusted Identifier
    #6775703 - 04/11/07 03:36 PM (17 years, 9 days ago)

Quote:

whythewho said:

Has anyone else found any morels?
what micro-climates do you find them in?
under what trees?
have you tried cultivating them? if so, how?
discuss!

I’ve found a few little piles of morels this year in north eastern kansas. The micro climates I’ve noticed this year are north or east facing slopes where the soil remains shielded from the afternoon sun and thusly retains higher moisture content… that is my hypothesis anyway. This, of course, hasn't necessarily been the case in years past.
The trees populating my favored patches consist primarily of cedar believe it or not. The other trees, in descending order, are: mulberry, osage orange, walnut, locust, and elm. I find them by crawling under the low hanging cedar branches, they are relatively easy to spot as the cedars drop a mulch that tends to inhibit nearly all plant growth beneath them.
Regarding cultivation (super low tech attempt) I poured spore water in a few pots in 2004 and this year spotted a few fruitbodies. I’m not sure if it has anything to do with the spore inoculation, however in the six or seven years I have been checking the spot this is the first sign of morels growing in the area.

georgeM

OfflineRansford
Stranger
Re: Morels In Northeastern Oklahoma [Re: georgeM]
    #6775725 - 04/11/07 03:41 PM (17 years, 9 days ago)

I think i find mine mostly by oak trees...im not to sure I usually am on my knees crawling so I dont look up,lol.

I never thought of doing anythign with the water i soak my morels in but im thinking of just taking it with me and dumping them in my spot, couldn't hurt I guess.

InvisiblePsychoslut
 User Gallery
Re: Morels In Northeastern Oklahoma [Re: Ransford]
    #6776798 - 04/11/07 08:15 PM (17 years, 9 days ago)

Around here we find almost all our morels near elm trees. We dont even look at the ground if theres not a elm tree real close. First we find a elm then look around brushing over the mayapples, I find allot of morels growing up under mayapples. This year we had a bad ice storm and now theres allot of wood on the ground, the next few years should be good for morels.

Yeah dude never let your spore water go down the drain, if nothing else dump it in your back yard. Ive heard allot of storys about people getting morels popping up in there grass the year after doing that.

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: 1 | 2 | Next >  [ show all ]

Shop: Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   North Spore Bulk Substrate   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Myyco.com Isolated Cubensis Liquid Culture For Sale