Home | Community | Message Board

Cannabis Seeds - Original Sensible Seeds
Please support our sponsors.

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Jump to first unread post. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]
OfflineSyle
Brahma
 User Gallery

Loc: WA
Re: Earplugs at concerts [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #6779845 - 04/12/07 07:06 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

psilocyberin said:
everybody's ears have their own built in audio "padding".

After listening to about 90-100 dB's for a few minutes, your ears "clamp" down.

When you wear earplugs, and pull them out halfway through the show, of course it is going to be blaring, because it is like walking from a library to a Man o' war concert instantly.

The best/cheapest earplugs to use are firing range ear plugs, because they have their own compression driver/diaphragm in them, meaning they will maintain high freq. fidelity at a constant dB level.

At work, I use those regular foam, cheap earplugs, but I only use them once the mix is set because they really dampen down all the low end horribly.

as a musician though, a person needs different earplugs so that the tone/key/notes of the music comes through. this is especially important for a singer, so that they sing in tune with the rest of the music.

these earlove earplugs here and a few other brands (Hearos, and one other I am forgetting) knock down the dbs enough and let in the right frequencies so that you don't lose the right stuff in the music, but still block out all the bad stuff.

as a musician, and concert frequenter, i am never going back to not wearing earplugs, never. it's just plain fucking stupid.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
InvisibleMr.Marvel
Marveler
Loc: (((0_0(((=<>
Re: Earplugs at concerts [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #6780770 - 04/12/07 10:12 PM (13 years, 6 months ago)

earplugs at loud concerts are a must.:thumbup:
I'd like to be able to hear loud music when I'm older.

OfflineSneezingPenis
ACHOOOOOOOOO!!!!!111!
 User Gallery
Re: Earplugs at concerts [Re: Syle]
    #6781480 - 04/13/07 01:07 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

Syle said:
Quote:

psilocyberin said:
everybody's ears have their own built in audio "padding".

After listening to about 90-100 dB's for a few minutes, your ears "clamp" down.

When you wear earplugs, and pull them out halfway through the show, of course it is going to be blaring, because it is like walking from a library to a Man o' war concert instantly.

The best/cheapest earplugs to use are firing range ear plugs, because they have their own compression driver/diaphragm in them, meaning they will maintain high freq. fidelity at a constant dB level.

At work, I use those regular foam, cheap earplugs, but I only use them once the mix is set because they really dampen down all the low end horribly.

as a musician though, a person needs different earplugs so that the tone/key/notes of the music comes through. this is especially important for a singer, so that they sing in tune with the rest of the music.

these earlove earplugs here and a few other brands (Hearos, and one other I am forgetting) knock down the dbs enough and let in the right frequencies so that you don't lose the right stuff in the music, but still block out all the bad stuff.

as a musician, and concert frequenter, i am never going back to not wearing earplugs, never. it's just plain fucking stupid.

musicians shouldnt wear ear plugs.

They dont usually have 20+ speakers pointed at them, they usually just have two, and before the show they personally set the level.

Granted, sometimes (read: often) a guitarist is way too loud, but they just need to be slapped and have their drugs taken away.

it is akin to having a painter put on sunglasses to paint.

Offlinestefan
work in progress

Loc: The Netherlands
    #6781538 - 04/13/07 01:32 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

what I often find the problem with guitarists is that they tune their sound on low volumes and when they turn open the volume at a concert the sound has way too much high in it, resulting in unpleasant screeching guitar sound. ofcoarse I'm not talking about big gigs but smaller concerts

I still think earplugs are essential, especially for musicians who play amplified. With good earplugs you hear the music fine and it's just less fuckin loud

Offlineguitarguy0123
Stranger
Male

#6781738 - 04/13/07 03:11 AM (13 years, 6 months ago)

Quote:

psilocyberin said:
musicians shouldnt wear ear plugs.

Ever played next to a drummer in a small practice room?? If you don't wear some earplugs you'll be hearing symbols for a couple days.

--------------------
I don't know what's gonna happen man, but I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames. -Jim Morrison

OfflineFreezestate
Closet Geek
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Virginia
Re: Earplugs at concerts *DELETED* [Re: SneezingPenis]
    #7794697 - 12/24/07 03:54 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Post deleted by Freezestate

Reason for deletion: double

--------------------
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -Ghandi

OfflineFreezestate
Closet Geek
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Virginia
Re: Earplugs at concerts [Re: Freezestate]
    #7794699 - 12/24/07 03:55 AM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Are you kidding me? Musicians must wear earplugs unless they don't care at all about sound. Seriously, have you ever heard a CD mixed by someone with no sense of dynamics and frequency? It is not pretty. Let me tell you, it's a damn good thing there are sound engineers out there working their butts off at concerts monitoring the sound levels and positioning of the speakers to allow musicians to be careless about their hearing because even good artists can get no crowd response if the sound sucks.

As a DJ, I have to set up my sound system VERY exactly to get the exact sound I need out of a space, and it takes having really good directional hearing at all frequency levels. If a single subwoofer is out of place, the entire dance floor could have completely canceled-out bass. Most bands sound terrible if they do their own sound because punks like them don't know a thing about the science behind their art medium. Your instruments are not your music, the actual sound waves traveling through the air are your music. You can effectively erase a person's amp if you place it in the wrong place in the room competing for vibration in the air against someone else's sound wave.

edit: syntax

--------------------
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." -Ghandi

Offlinedisturbed Happy Birthday!
Poutine andSodomy
Male User Gallery

Loc: O-H-I-O
Re: Earplugs at concerts [Re: OneMoreRobot3021]
    #7796039 - 12/24/07 05:07 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Yea I go to a lot of metal shows at small venues and the base is so loud sometimes it shakes your insides that can't be good for your hearing. I forget to bring earplugs quite a bit and kick myself every time when my ears are still ringing 3 days later it sucks ass.

--------------------

11/25/07 first time entrant ban lottery champion

OfflineSheepish
 User Gallery

Loc: Exile
Re: Earplugs at concerts [Re: disturbed]
    #7799257 - 12/25/07 09:23 PM (12 years, 9 months ago)

Thankfully I'm already deaf so I don't need earplugs.

Jump to top. Pages: < Back | 1 | 2  [ show all ]

General Interest >> Music, Art, and Media