Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
InvisibleveggieM

Warming climate creates mountains of mushrooms [UK]
    #6759765 - 04/08/07 12:17 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Climate change fruitful for fungi
April 5, 2007 - BBC

A remarkable father-and-son research project has revealed how rising temperatures are affecting fungi in southern England.

Fungus enthusiast Edward Gange amassed 52,000 sightings of mushroom and toadstools during walks around Salisbury over a 50-year period.

Analysis by his son Alan, published in the journal Science, shows some fungi have started to fruit twice a year.

It is among the first studies to show a biological impact of warming in autumn.

"My father was a stonemason, and his hobby was mycology," recounted Alan Gange, an ecology professor at Royal Holloway, University of London.

"For 50 years of his life, he went out and recorded the appearance of mushrooms and toadstools around Salisbury, and he also got his friends in the local natural history group to bring back samples they found when they were out walking.

"When he retired, he bought himself a computer, taught himself (the spreadsheet program) Excel, and typed in all these 52,000 records."

Now Mr Gange senior finds his enthusiasm and diligence rewarded as a named author on a paper in one of the two most eminent scientific journals in the world.

"I'm on top of the world, I can't quite believe it yet," he told the BBC News website.

Strange fruit

The records included sightings of 315 species of mushrooms and toadstools which appear in the autumn, being the seasonal fruiting parts of fungi that live in the soil, on rotting wood or in tree roots.

One of the changes Professor Gange turned up was that the autumnal fruiting period has expanded. Some mushrooms and toadstools are emerging earlier each year, others later, which he thinks are responses to warmer temperatures and higher rainfall.

More spectacularly, he found that more than one third of the species recorded have started to fruit twice per year. There was no record of this before 1976; but since then, 120 species have shown an additional fruiting in spring.

"I looked up the data on the average temperature for February in southern England during the 1950s, and it was 3.5C," he said.

"In the current decade it's 5.2C. We used to get cold days and nights in February which caused fungi to be dormant; these days we get very little of that."

In recent years a significant number of studies have found changes in species' behaviour during springtime apparently related to climate change, with growing seasons starting earlier, and young animals born in months which would, in previous years, have been too cold.

This is one of the first studies to show a parallel trend in autumn.

After more than 50 years of observing the natural world, Edward Gange is convinced that the climate is changing - at least within a 30km radius of Salisbury - though he prefers to attribute the warming to natural cycles rather than humanity's production of greenhouse gases.

"When I was a lad, it was an absolutely categorical fact that Red Admirals would not survive the winter," he said.

"This year we saw them on 19 January. That's a heck of a change, and it's not the only one."

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineItsaMeMario
Stranger

Re: Warming climate creates mountains of mushrooms [UK] [Re: veggie]
    #6759897 - 04/08/07 01:20 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

i dont get it. so mountains was just a metaphor?

OfflineF1234K
Wizard Of Tryptamines
Male

Re: Warming climate creates mountains of mushrooms [UK] [Re: ItsaMeMario]
    #6759922 - 04/08/07 01:31 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

IT All makes sense now! the earth will get warming because of global warming and make more mushrooms...then by 2012 there will be so many mushrooms everywere....people will be out of food and gas by then and the world will be in ruin from ww3. Since there is nothing left but mushrooms the whole world who wants to live will eat them changing the views of the world for ever thus birthing a new society of people. In december of 2012...thats why all signs point to something world changing to happen that day.

--------------------
Im Not Living, Im Just Killing Time

InvisibleBridgeburner
Not spiritual at all.
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Re: Warming climate creates mountains of mushrooms [UK] [Re: F1234K]
    #6759992 - 04/08/07 02:06 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

beautiful news.

--------------------

InvisibleArp
roving mycophagist
 User Gallery

Loc: in a van by the river
Re: Warming climate creates mountains of mushrooms [UK] [Re: Bridgeburner]
    #6760096 - 04/08/07 03:25 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Where I'm at we are getting december mushrooms as well! Normal season is around September :smirk:

OfflineFloop
Stranger

#6760156 - 04/08/07 04:20 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

F1234K said:
IT All makes sense now! the earth will get warming because of global warming and make more mushrooms...then by 2012 there will be so many mushrooms everywere....people will be out of food and gas by then and the world will be in ruin from ww3. Since there is nothing left but mushrooms the whole world who wants to live will eat them changing the views of the world for ever thus birthing a new society of people. In december of 2012...thats why all signs point to something world changing to happen that day.

Hooray!

--------------------
"The finest emotion of which we are capable is the mystic emotion. Herein lies the germ of all art and all true science. Anyone to whom this feeling is alien, who is no longer capable of wonderment and lives in a state of fear is a dead man. To know that what is impenatrable for us really exists and manifests itself as the highest wisdom and the most radiant beauty, whose gross forms alone are intelligible to our poor faculties - this knowledge, this feeling ... that is the core of the true religious sent iment. In this sense, and in this sense alone, I rank myself amoung profoundly religious men."
-Albert Einstein

InvisibleEgo Death
Justadropofwaterinanendlesssea
 User Gallery

Loc: The War Machine
    #6760188 - 04/08/07 04:49 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

But is this effecting liberty caps?

Last year there were hardly any in the spots I know of?

Offlineflower_child
Dawson
Male User Gallery

#6760304 - 04/08/07 06:48 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

F1234K said:
IT All makes sense now! the earth will get warming because of global warming and make more mushrooms...then by 2012 there will be so many mushrooms everywhere....people will be out of food and gas by then and the world will be in ruin from ww3. Since there is nothing left but mushrooms the whole world who wants to live will eat them changing the views of the world for ever thus birthing a new society of people. In December of 2012...thats why all signs point to something world changing to happen that day.

Can I buy some pot from you?

All joking aside though, that would be incredibly awesome.

--------------------
Today while walking up the stairs
I met a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
Oh how I wish he'd stay away

OfflineSiekoaktiv
version 2.0
Male

Re: Warming climate creates mountains of mushrooms [UK] [Re: flower_child]
    #6760372 - 04/08/07 07:37 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

What type is that in the picture?

--------------------
I'm in need of a sterile sporeprint, if anyone wants to do a trade for some seeds or something, or maybe just for free if you have a lot of them............. i'd really appreciate it :mushroom2:

NuggetPorch said - "YES! YES!!!! Coaster its Faint, but its fucking there YOU see it!!! Perhaps we are both on some sort of unusual wave length associated with unusual neuro-transmitters, mind expansion white light, or something we can not even begin to understand or fathom to conceive because it is a gift of insight or a curse given to us by powers beyond our control, something we are not meant to know."

OfflineNephlyte
Misfortunate One
Male User Gallery

Loc: South Texas
    #6760901 - 04/08/07 11:28 AM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

veggie said:
Climate change fruitful for fungi
April 5, 2007 - BBC

"My father was a stonemason, and his hobby was mycology," recounted Alan Gange, an ecology professor at Royal Holloway, University of London.

Thats an eloquent way to put that he went out into the fields looking for shrooms all the time.

--------------------
"To do right is to know what you want. Now when you are dissatisfied with yourself it's because you are after something you don't really want. What objects are you proposing to yourself? Are they the objects you really value? If they are not, you are cheating yourself. I don't meant that if you chose to pursue the objects you most value, you will attain them; of course not. Your experience will tell you that. But success in getting after much labor what you really don't care for is the bitterest and most ridiculous failure." -George Santayana

InvisibleveggieM

Re: Warming climate creates mountains of mushrooms [UK] [Re: Siekoaktiv]
    #6761135 - 04/08/07 12:44 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

>What type is that in the picture?<

That is the Hypholoma fasiculare, commonly known as Sulphur Tuft.

InvisibleSilversoul
Rhizome
Male User Gallery

Loc: The Barricades
    #6761193 - 04/08/07 01:02 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

From what I've gathered from Paul Stammets' lectures, mushrooms have always taken over in times of ecological crisis.

--------------------

Invisiblechodamunky
Cheers!

Loc: sailing the seas of chees...
    #6761201 - 04/08/07 01:06 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

lol, i love that idea. once mushrooms start popping up in unusual places maybe ppl will start to realize how funny it is to make them illegal..... shit i mean they grow everywhere, taste good (though some will poison you!), and also some of them make you trip out and show you the hidden beauty of life and love! hooray for global warming!

OfflineF1234K
Wizard Of Tryptamines
Male

Re: Warming climate creates mountains of mushrooms [UK] [Re: chodamunky]
    #6761443 - 04/08/07 02:31 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

It all makes sense...

--------------------
Im Not Living, Im Just Killing Time

InvisibleFoURtWeNTy420
Infinite Conciousness
Male User Gallery

Loc: Miami
    #6761559 - 04/08/07 02:59 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

F1234K said:
IT All makes sense now! the earth will get warming because of global warming and make more mushrooms...then by 2012 there will be so many mushrooms everywhere....people will be out of food and gas by then and the world will be in ruin from ww3. Since there is nothing left but mushrooms the whole world who wants to live will eat them changing the views of the world for ever thus birthing a new society of people. In December of 2012...thats why all signs point to something world changing to happen that day.

yea that would be a great idea, if all those mushrooms had psilocibin in it. if they were juss poisonous mushrooms or juss edible non-intoxicating shrooms.....it would kinda be pointless....but hhands down a great idea, i would love to see President Bush or Osama Bin Laden on a shroom trip

--------------------
---------------------
I support drug testing, which drug should i test today?

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Liquid Cultures   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale