Home | Community | Message Board

Mushrooms.com
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male

Trusted Identifier
Pluteus sp.
    #6759618 - 04/07/07 11:18 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Here's a couple of images of what I suspect to be a Pluteus sp, possibly P readiarum .

Habit: Usually a single fruitbody found on decomposed wood.
Habitat: New Zealand native bush under Leptospermum scoparium and Podocarpus totara.
Cap: 30-40mm diameter, broadly convex to plane, colour light tan/brown sometimes with a darker netted pattern radiating out from the center.
Gills: Attachment free, close to subdistant, colour white, slightly pink in mature specimens.
Stem: 70-75mm long by 3-5mm diameter, equal to slightly thickened at the base, colour light tan, finely pruinose.
Spores: Very light pink in colour.
Anyone agree with P readiarum?
inski:cool:

--------------------

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Pluteus sp. [Re: inski]
    #6759674 - 04/07/07 11:45 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

That certainly is a possibility. Another (that I found on this page) that seems to resemble it is P. minor.

You seem to be finding some really different stuff down there - stuff not like what I ever see here.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleinskiM
Cortinariologist
Male

Trusted Identifier
Re: Pluteus sp. [Re: ToxicMan]
    #6759760 - 04/08/07 12:15 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Hi ToxicMan:cool:
Your right P. minor also resembles this one, I have images of another Pluteus sp that I think is closer, I'll post pics soon!
I'm always amazed at the fungal diversity this country has to offer, I believe there are a lot of species that haven't been described.
Happy hunting!
inski...

--------------------

OfflineToxicManM
Bite me, it's fun!
 User Gallery

Loc: Aurora, Colorado
Trusted Identifier
Re: Pluteus sp. [Re: inski]
    #6759865 - 04/08/07 12:53 AM (13 years, 3 months ago)

I wouldn't be at all surprised if there are lots of undescribed species there. The last estimate I heard by a professional here was that we have probably described about a third of the species that are actually here. The hard part isn't finding a new species, it's having an idea that maybe what you've found is something truly different and worth looking at more closely.

Happy mushrooming!

--------------------
Happy mushrooming!

InvisibleCureCat
Strangest
 User Gallery

Loc: clawing your furniture
Trusted Identifier
Re: Pluteus sp. [Re: ToxicMan]
    #6762645 - 04/08/07 08:07 PM (13 years, 3 months ago)

Quote:

ToxicMan said:
The hard part isn't finding a new species, it's having an idea that maybe what you've found is something truly different and worth looking at more closely.

Indeed, many mushrooms are dismissed as the common representative of a genus, yet if for some reason, study is conducted to verify relation, it is often, if not usually, discovered to be a distinct species, macroscopically indistinguishable from it's relative- what with phenotypic variation within species ("strains").

--------------------

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Original Sensible Seeds High THC Strains   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Powder   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Hunting and Identification