Home | Community | Message Board

MRCA Tyroler Gluckspilze
This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinelight412
Stranger
Jars incubating smell like ROTTEN EGGS (sulfur)
    #6755076 - 04/06/07 05:13 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I have Pf tek .5 pint jars incubating for 3 weeks in modified tub in tub. I have loosened the lids, taken the tape off, and turned upside down. They appear to be about 3/4 colonized. Only one of 12 seemed to be contamed with pennicilium and I got rid of it....all the rest look good with all white rhizmorpic growth. I have the jars tied up in a plastic garbage bag in the inner bin...any time I check them it smells of ROTTEN EGGS. It seems to have gotten stronger in the last couple of days. What is this??

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: Jars incubating smell like ROTTEN EGGS (sulfur) [Re: light412]
    #6755094 - 04/06/07 05:19 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Bacteria. Don't incubate in a plastic bag because they need gas exchange, and don't incubate in a silly tub at elevated temperatures because that also stimulates bacteria. If your room is comfortable for you in a t-shirt, your jars will colonize just fine at room temperature.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinelight412
Stranger
Re: Jars incubating smell like ROTTEN EGGS (sulfur) [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6755123 - 04/06/07 05:31 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

What should I do now? None of them show visual signs, but alot of them smell pretty bad. Should I get them out of the incubator and just put them under my bed at 70 degrees to finish. Am I totally screwed now? AAAAHHHHHHH FUUUUUCCCCKKK

Another post suggested seperating the ones that smell and trashing them. PLEASE HELP ME AAAAAHHHHHHH

OfflineBurntByTheSun13
The Reverend
Male

Loc: In the depths of my own m...
    #6755126 - 04/06/07 05:33 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Bury em outside in a shady place in the woods or somethin. Be well

--------------------
Think for yourself. Question authority

The awakening comes in blur of light. Never leaving the veil of night. Enlightened now i feel alive. Finally my mind can grow and strive

Offlinelight412
Stranger
Re: Jars incubating smell like ROTTEN EGGS (sulfur) [Re: BurntByTheSun13]
    #6755130 - 04/06/07 05:35 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Are they all bad. R U kidding?

InvisibleColonel Kurtz Ph.D
What What?
Male User Gallery

Loc: Shadow Moses
    #6755148 - 04/06/07 05:43 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Trash everything that smells bad/rotten, no way they're gonna recover from bacterial contamination.

--------------------
:whatwhat:

There's no better way to rock out than with your cock out!!

Offlinelight412
Stranger
Re: Jars incubating smell like ROTTEN EGGS (sulfur) [Re: Colonel Kurtz Ph.D]
    #6755166 - 04/06/07 05:50 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

OK well heres the thing.....I had one jar in there for about a week that had a bad Blue green mold. I just trashed it yesterday. I just took the jars out of the incubator NOW and seperated them by smell. Mind you I am not smelling them with the lids off. Some jars slightly smell of the sulfur, the others barely or none at all. I could be over reacting because the bag that they were in smelled, but some of the jars dont smell at all. They only smell to the extent that they have been exposed to the smell in the bin, and like I said none of any visual signs of contams. If they are damned to be contamed will they eventually show visual signs....

BOTTOM LINE

If the ones I have seperated have no smell in 12 hours should I still trash all my jars because my incubator was skunky? Will they still grow now at room temp or will they most likely stall now?

Invisiblecpw1971
Mr
Male User Gallery
    #6755198 - 04/06/07 05:58 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

I imagine your filters got moist in the bag also and that will transfer bacteria like a siv
they may not smell yet

Offlinelight412
Stranger
Re: Jars incubating smell like ROTTEN EGGS (sulfur) [Re: cpw1971]
    #6755291 - 04/06/07 06:31 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

OK so trash them or what. Are you guys saying that since I had a smell at all that they are all contamed now even if they individually dont smell yet? Its not possible that some will be ok in the end? My idea was to take an extra set of pint jars that I have, hose them with lysol then place my .5 pint jars inside and seal the pint jar with a coffee filter instead of a lid . i would them just keep them under my bed and keep an eye on them. Every few days I could open the pint jar and check it out. If there is no smell and no visual signs and they fully colonize am I still in trouble for some reason.

Offlinelight412
Stranger
    #6755316 - 04/06/07 06:43 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Ok correction...when I said the jars smell pretty bad..that was only because the bag smelled bad. Also I had been untying the bag and fanning it out 3-4 times a day and just noticed the smell basically today. I put the ones that slightly smelled (when I immediately took them out of the bag) in an empty drawer in my basement. They have been in ther about 45 minutes and when I open the drawer and smell three inches away I cant smell a thing. Also the ones that did not smell at all immediately out that bag are in a jar box and still do not smell at all. The bag smelled like the verm/brf mix except stronger like a humid smell maybe not as much like rotten eggs. Another thing is I just loosened the lids on three of them considerably this morning. Could I be smelling the substrate?

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
    #6755334 - 04/06/07 06:51 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

OK well heres the thing.....I had one jar in there for about a week that had a bad Blue green mold. I just trashed it yesterday

That jar should have been trashed a week ago.

I'd suggest setting the rest of the jars out in the open at room temperature and leaving them alone for a week. If they're going to recover, they will have by then. Normally they're finished within two to three weeks, so in another week, if you still have nothing, boil them for a couple of hours, then clean out the contents and start over.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Offlinelight412
Stranger
Re: Jars incubating smell like ROTTEN EGGS (sulfur) [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6755400 - 04/06/07 07:18 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Yeah Should have been...but I was confused and under the impression at first that it was mycelium "bruising". I have put all the 1/2 pint jars in pint jars with coffee filters as lids. I sprayed out the pint jars with lysol first. I also hosed out another bin with lysol and put half of the jars back into the incubator and turn down the sub heater to 73. I was going to keep half at room temp and half in the inc. but I guess I should probably just keep them all at room temp. By recover you mean if they dont smell or show signs in a week then they are still good? Will they likely stall now with such a drastic temp change. Room temp is regulated where I live and stays about 68.

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

#6756038 - 04/06/07 10:42 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Room temp is fine,and dont go so crazy overkill on the Lysol,all you will get is a entire crop of deformities and mutants

see,see what happens with Lysol.I'm telling you glovebox and bleach is all you need to keep everything clean enough for success

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: North Spore Bulk Substrate   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   PhytoExtractum Maeng Da Thai Kratom Leaf Powder   Original Sensible Seeds Bulk Cannabis Seeds   MagicBag.co Certified Organic All-In-One Grow Bags