Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Mushroom-Hut Shop: Substrate Mix

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlinejohnnyboy
Bastard Son

what to dunk in?
    #6754699 - 04/06/07 03:22 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

So dunking and rolling is better for brf cakes than casing?

do i dunk in regular tap water at room temp? or do i dunk in some sort of solution and put in the fridge?

how long do i keep them dunked for?

then right in to the fruiting chamber after they are finished dunking?

--------------------
I keep the bible in a pool of blood so that none of it's lies will affect me

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisiblesimplemachine
Manfly
Male User Gallery

Re: what to dunk in? [Re: johnnyboy]
    #6754738 - 04/06/07 03:33 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Quote:

johnnyboy said:
So dunking and rolling is better for brf cakes than casing?

No, yields are much better from a proper casing, but if you DON'T want to crumble them into a casing and choose instead to fruit them as cakes, dunk & roll is the way to go.

Quote:

do i dunk in regular tap water at room temp? or do i dunk in some sort of solution and put in the fridge?

I would suggest you dunk in distilled water, tap water can be kinda iffy. Its common to pour water into the open jar, shut the lid and put it in the fridge. This combines the dunking with another practice called "cold shocking."

Quote:

how long do i keep them dunked for?

then right in to the fruiting chamber after they are finished dunking?

12-24 hours, roll in dry verm, and into the FC.

--------------------

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: Seattle
Trusted Cultivator
OG Cultivator
Re: what to dunk in? [Re: simplemachine]
    #6755022 - 04/06/07 05:00 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Cold shocking cubes which are a tropical species is counter productive and sets back the fruiting schedule. However, dunking in the refrigerator is recommended for 24 hours, and is not cold shocking, which involves lowering the temperature for several days to simulate the approach of winter, which is a pinning trigger for temperate species such as shiitake. The reason for using cooler temperatures during the 24 hour soak is to discourage bacterial growth while the cakes are under water and the mycelium can't fend for itself.

It's best to dunk in a large pot of water so the submerged cakes have a bit of pressure on them. This will force more water into them than they will receive in the jars. In addition, dunking causes the cakes to expand, so in jars they stop expanding when they hit the glass, thus they stop intaking moisture. In addition, it pushes the cake tightly against the glass, making birthing harder. It's best to birth before the dunk so the cakes slide right out of the jars.

One week past full colonization, birth the cakes, rinse off the loose part of the verm barrier under running water, and then dunk for 24 hours in cool water. I use tap water, but that's because the tap water in my location is good. If you're in doubt, use spring or distilled water.

After the dunk, rinse well again under the faucet, and then roll the soaking wet cakes in dry vermiculite so that it sticks to the entire surface of the cake. Once placed into the terrarium, mist several times over the next few hours to hydrate the vermiculite fully so that it serves as a casing layer.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

OfflineBlehMaestro
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: what to dunk in? [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6755445 - 04/06/07 07:31 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Yet another example of how lucky we are to have RR around here. You single handedly clarify so many situations, it is unbelievable.

RR, sorry you have to repeat yourself so much, but this place would not be nearly as well off without it!!

Thanks.

OfflineBurntByTheSun13
The Reverend
Male

Loc: In the depths of my own m...
Re: what to dunk in? [Re: BlehMaestro]
    #6755467 - 04/06/07 07:37 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

Very nice info indeed. Thanks RR

Be well

--------------------
Think for yourself. Question authority

The awakening comes in blur of light. Never leaving the veil of night. Enlightened now i feel alive. Finally my mind can grow and strive

Offlinejohnnyboy
Bastard Son

Re: what to dunk in? [Re: BurntByTheSun13]
    #6755596 - 04/06/07 08:48 PM (16 years, 11 months ago)

thanks for tha advice, i'll giv that a go when they are done in a few days.... thankx again

--------------------
I keep the bible in a pool of blood so that none of it's lies will affect me

Jump to top Pages: 1

Mushroom-Hut Shop: Substrate Mix