Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Drug testing youth poses difficulties: study
    #6737222 - 04/02/07 05:57 AM (17 years, 13 hours ago)

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070402/hl_nm/children_drugs_dc_2

Quote:

CHICAGO (Reuters) - Testing teenagers and young adults for illegal drugs is problematic, as it misses some abusers who cheat and falsely brands others who are taking prescription medication, U.S. researchers said on Monday.

Researchers from Harvard Medical School and Children's Hospital in Boston conducted periodic drug testing on 110 young people with a history of drug abuse over a three-year period.

They were told to abstain from taking drugs but at least some did not, according to the study, which aimed to determine the effectiveness of drug testing on abusers aged 13 to 21.

Of 710 random drug tests performed 85 gave incorrect results, either failing to detect drug use because the urine sample was diluted or giving a false-positive result when the test detected prescription medications.

Subjects diluted their urine sample by drinking a lot of water or taking a diuretic, among several methods to beat drug testing that are commonly advertised on some Internet sites and among teenage peer groups, the report said.

Of the 12 percent of positive drug tests that were confirmed by a second test, nearly half indicated abuse of oxycodone, a commonly abused prescription painkiller, often sold as OxyContin, that mimics the effects of heroin but that some drug tests do not easily detect.

Some of the participants used illicit drugs that were not easily detected, such as inhalants, and others abused their medications, such as amphetamines often prescribed for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder.

"Certain drugs that commonly are used by adolescents are not reliably detected by multipanel screens," wrote lead study author Sharon Levy in "Pediatrics," the journal of the American Academy of Pediatrics.

Comprehensive drug testing can be very expensive for hard-pressed school districts, she said, taking resources away from drug-treatment programs.

"'Quick and dirty' drug-testing programs that use procedures of convenience are likely to result in unintended consequences, such as misidentifying some students as using illicit drugs when they are not and enabling others to continue illicit drug use by allowing them to easily evade detection," she wrote.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
Invisibletakk
Stranger
Male

Re: Drug testing youth poses difficulties: study [Re: Seuss]
    #6737261 - 04/02/07 06:36 AM (17 years, 13 hours ago)

i wish i wish they couldn't see what drugs one has taken by simply looking at some urine

i wish the eager bastards had to fumble around in people's shit instead  :shitstorm:

OfflineTurricaN
Grasshopper
Loc: Amersfoort, Netherlands
Re: Drug testing youth poses difficulties: study [Re: takk]
    #6737734 - 04/02/07 10:43 AM (17 years, 9 hours ago)

It's not really a problem. After all, they can't get your urine unless you actually give it to them.

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: Drug testing youth poses difficulties: study [Re: TurricaN]
    #6738355 - 04/02/07 01:48 PM (17 years, 5 hours ago)

> After all, they can't get your urine unless you actually give it to them.

In the US, school children pretty much give up any and every right they have when the step onto school property. It didn't used to be that way when I was a child, but it certainly is now. Sure, the child/parents have a choice: expulsion from school or urine sample for drug testing. Not really much of a choice...

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

OfflineEbawho
Stranger
Re: Drug testing youth poses difficulties: study [Re: Seuss]
    #6738415 - 04/02/07 02:05 PM (17 years, 5 hours ago)

I'm no expert, but public schools in the US are gov't institutions, students have all their constitutional rights. As far as I know, a public school cant force a student to give them his or her urine. If I attended public school, and were asked to give a urine sample, I would refuse even though I have abstained from drugs for months now. If I were expelled, I would call the ACLU and take it to court.

First our right to ingest whatever we want is taken, now youngsters are forced to give up what comes out of them? psht.

OfflineFhNiNcUbUs010
Stranger
 User Gallery

Re: Drug testing youth poses difficulties: study [Re: Ebawho]
    #6738587 - 04/02/07 03:01 PM (17 years, 4 hours ago)

Last year when i was in high school they did random drug testing. You could either get tested or lose all priveleges at school. Like playing sports,driving, and going to school sponsored shit. If you failed they would suspend you from those things for a certain amount of time.

--------------------
Next stop: Schwagstock 43 @ Camp Zoe

Live.Love.Die

InvisibleFoURtWeNTy420
Infinite Conciousness
Male User Gallery

Loc: Miami
Re: Drug testing youth poses difficulties: study [Re: FhNiNcUbUs010]
    #6739120 - 04/02/07 05:12 PM (17 years, 2 hours ago)

Quote:

After all, they can't get your urine unless you actually give it to them.

Yea it is a problem maybe not so much in high school but wen ur on probation or something where u need to take court ordered drug tests(like yours truley) it sucks, plus when u apply for certain jobs that would be sooo dope if they had to take out the results from your shit.......lmao thats one of the funniest ideas ive eva heard!:tongue2:

--------------------
---------------------
I support drug testing, which drug should i test today?

Offlinehighdroponics
Professional Deadhead
Male User Gallery

Loc: Earth, Milky Way Galaxy Flag
Re: Drug testing youth poses difficulties: study [Re: FoURtWeNTy420]
    #6739174 - 04/02/07 05:20 PM (17 years, 2 hours ago)

yep i gotta take a drug test or three wednesday to apply for a job, hope i pass, i forgot when the last time i got high was, maybe 2-3 weeks ago...ive been starving myself in the morning and drinking plenty of water, so i should be good to go....sparkin up right after i get a damn job.

--------------------
Dr :ronpaul: says to stop trying to treat the side-effects of big government and focus on the core issues. End the Federal Reserve/audit the gold reserves at Fort Knox, abolish the IRS, end all wars and occupancies, stop the building of an empire that will inevitably fail, and cut all unconstitutional federal programs. Put the power back in the peoples' hands by ending this nanny-state.

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom