Home | Community | Message Board

Reliable Spores
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, HEPA Filter, Laminar Flow Hood

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinekrill
absolute gonzo
Male

Loc: mars hotel
Need a good HEPA filter...
    #6725111 - 03/29/07 04:42 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

gonna finish the glovebox. got a radio shack fan im gonna hook up to it. bolting the fan inside the box and sealing the filter over the holes on the outside. anyone got any suggestions on what is a good hepa filter to buy for this sort of thing? i mean, it would only need to cover 8"x8" at most...

--------------------
"DO NOT ADJUST YOUR MIND.  IT IS REALITY THAT IS MALFUNCTIONING." - Robert Anton Wilson

NO LEFT TURN UN-STONED

Post Extras: Filter  Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinejaranth
Singularitarian
Male

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Home is where I put my ha...
Re: Need a good HEPA filter... [Re: krill]
    #6725252 - 03/29/07 05:09 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Depends on how much you wanna spend.

You can get cheaper HEPA filters anywhere that sells air purifiers... Wal-Mart comes to mind. Where I live, Fry's Electronics has a good selection, but you should be able to find them with no prob. They'll work fine with homemade boxes, but make sure they say HEPA on the package.

HEPA filters for professional units are a different story. They cost a pretty penny, and tend to be much thicker (I've seen them up to 8-inches thick)... but they work best, of course. They can be obtained on the net, and in some specialty stores.

--------------------

Edited by jaranth (03/29/07 05:12 PM)

InvisibleArp
roving mycophagist
 User Gallery

Loc: in a van by the river
Re: Need a good HEPA filter... [Re: jaranth]
    #6725265 - 03/29/07 05:11 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

H14! :sun:

Offlineboatshow
Stranger

Re: Need a good HEPA filter... [Re: Arp]
    #6725375 - 03/29/07 05:37 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Any filter that says HEPA will do the trick. "HEPA" is actually a standard created by the US Department of Energy. By definition a HEPA filter is "a throwaway, extended-media, dry type filter with a rigid casing enclosing the full depth of the pleats. The filter shall exhibit a minimum efficiency of 99.97% when tested at an aerosol of 0.3 micrometers diameter." You can check it out here http://www.hss.energy.gov/CSA/CSP/hepa/index.html

--------------------
I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by madness, starving hysterical naked,
Dragging themselves through the negro streets at dawn looking for an angry fix,
Angelheaded hipsters burning for the ancient heavenly connection to the starry dynamo in the machinery of night

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Loc: Somewhere Else
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Need a good HEPA filter... [Re: boatshow]
    #6725435 - 03/29/07 05:53 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Not always true.
You get what you PAY FOR.
Advertisers are full of BS.
Many cheap ones, are not even good door stops.

--------------------

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
    #6725468 - 03/29/07 06:01 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

krill said:
gonna finish the glovebox. got a radio shack fan im gonna hook up to it. bolting the fan inside the box and sealing the filter over the holes on the outside. anyone got any suggestions on what is a good hepa filter to buy for this sort of thing? i mean, it would only need to cover 8"x8" at most...

Reality is, STILL AIR GB is a better choice.
Often a fan & filter DEFEAT THE PURPOSE of a GB.

--------------------

Offlinekrill
absolute gonzo
Male

Loc: mars hotel
Re: Need a good HEPA filter... [Re: agar]
    #6728248 - 03/30/07 02:39 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

see, i tried using it as a still air GB about a year ago (before i had to abandon projekt YET AGAIN) i couldnt figure out a GOOD way to use it. spraying any amount of iso alcohol or oust in the closed box just didnt work for me. it just doesn't evaporate cleanly. maybe i overdid it. i THINK it was HippieChick or Roadkill that had a good fan/filter setup on their box.

im at a loss of how to finish what is a really nice box.
but i dont wanna start fucking with agar plates, tissue, spores, etc. if im not 200% sure that the GB is doing exactly what it's supposed to - and that im using it correctly.

--------------------
"DO NOT ADJUST YOUR MIND.  IT IS REALITY THAT IS MALFUNCTIONING." - Robert Anton Wilson

NO LEFT TURN UN-STONED

Invisiblemusher_420
Stranger

#6728358 - 03/30/07 03:08 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I've used a fan and filter combination on my glove box because I used Hippie Chicks design. I covered up the fan hole with a piece of Tyvek and converted to a still air box without fixed gloves. I wear disposable gloves on my hands but it's nice to be able to pull and arm out of the box to flame your tools. Works great for me. I'll have about one or two agar plates out of 50 contaminate which is fine results for me.

Get yourself one 4" piece of PVC connecting pipe and saw it in half. Cut arm holes and silicon in the pipe. That's all you really need for a good glove box. Just works quickly and try not to stir up the air once too much.

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Need a good HEPA filter... [Re: musher_420]
    #6728450 - 03/30/07 03:36 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Listen to agar. You don't see the experienced growers putting fans in a glovebox because they totally defeat the purpose. If a sheet of tyvek could do what a $500 flow hood can do, does anyone really think we'd throw away that money? I've posted teks for a simple glove box many times. All you need is to cut a couple of arm holes. You don't even need attached gloves. Just use tyvek wrist sleeves and latex gloves so you can pull your arm out to flame sterilize on the outside of the box, then stick the red hot needle or scalpel back inside. As soon as your arm fills the opening, the air inside immediately stops moving, and you have a still air glovebox again.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

InvisibleBlutjager
Inhuman
Male

Re: Need a good HEPA filter... [Re: RogerRabbit]
    #6729054 - 03/30/07 06:35 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I have always used still air and never even went through the trouble of trying to make fans and filters,as long as no air is moving around to through contamination into your project your fine

Offlinefromthemoon
ESP Major

Re: Need a good HEPA filter... [Re: Blutjager]
    #6731482 - 03/31/07 12:24 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

I'll just ditto everyone.

Either build a still air glove box or make a flow hood - don't try to make both into one. They each work differently.

Glove boxes are cheap and easy to make. Personally, I like attached gloves, but that isn't even needed.

My glove box is made from:

Clear plastic tote - $10
2 plumbing fittings w/ clamps - $10
Industrial rubber gloves - $10
Epoxy - $5

I turned the tote upside down, so the lid is the bottom.

I cut two holes slightly smaller than the plumbing fittings.

I glued the rubber fittings to the holes, attached and glued the gloves to the fittings, and clamped the gloves tight.

When I'm ready to use it, I spray the lid down with alcohol, cover with paper towels and spray those down. Then I load it with jars and such. Finally I spray the top down and place on top of the lid.

The wet paper towels due two things, 1) it seals the container with a liquid barrier and 2) bacteria in the air settles onto the alcohol soaked towels killing them.

Once it's loaded and closed, I let it sit at least 30 minutes so any con tames have time to settle and die on the paper towels.

Obviously, I never flame. I just wipe my tools with alcohol soaked cotton balls.

In 8 months, only 1 agar plate contamed.

--------------------
Look at the atoms in the air and allow your mind to see the other planes that coexists in the same physical space where you sit. There are vibrational strings in each and every atom containing infinite realities, universes, and dimensions. Multidimensional beings and entities are RIGHT IN FRONT OF YOU!!! Only gravity and mental energy can pass through these different atomic branes and mushrooms can break the mental/spiritual membranes separating one reality from the other. TAKE A LOOK!

Offlineflushme
Shroomery OG
Male User Gallery

Loc: Kazakhstan
Re: Need a good HEPA filter... [Re: fromthemoon]
    #6732074 - 03/31/07 04:25 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

cool.

which way would the fan be blowing outside right?
:thumbup:

--------------------
TRUST IN THE FLUSH

Take Salvia Cuttings Successfully

InvisibleRoachMan
Old Man
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Midwest
Re: Need a good HEPA filter... [Re: flushme]
    #6732359 - 03/31/07 06:36 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Quote:

flushme said:
cool.

which way would the fan be blowing outside right?
:thumbup:

I think you missed the point somewhere.

However, IF you insist on disregarding the old hand's advice, and put a fan on the box.  You need the air blowing INTO the box through a HEPA filter to create positive pressure which pushes clean air (from the filter) out any openings.

It is a PITA that I discourage as well.
The only use I ever found that the fan was good for was cooling jars faster.
The fan has since been removed, hole taped over, and the fan used for a mag. stirrer.  LOL

--------------------
"The mistake that I make is to try to come awake in a place you're just supposed to get shit faced or baked."

OfflineRogerRabbitM
Bans for Pleasure
Male User Gallery

Loc: upstate NY, USA
Trusted Cultivator
Re: Need a good HEPA filter... [Re: RoachMan]
    #6732387 - 03/31/07 06:49 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Never, for any reason install a silly fan on a glovebox. If you can't afford a laminar flow hood, build a still air box. Working in the open air is preferable to putting a computer fan on a glovebox which will only cause turbulence that will blow contaminants into your work. This has all be covered hundreds of times in the last few years, so no reason to repeat it all in detail here. Don't be deceived into thinking that a sheet of tyvek or a $20 vacuum cleaner filter is going to replace a flow hood, even if wal mart does label it 'hepa'.
RR

--------------------
Download Let's Grow Mushrooms

semper in excretia sumus solim profundum variat

"I've never had a failed experiment.  I've only discovered 10,000 methods which do not work."
Thomas Edison

Invisibleagar
old hand
 User Gallery

Trusted Cultivator
Re: Need a good HEPA filter... [Re: flushme]
    #6732404 - 03/31/07 06:55 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

Rig fan to blow on your forehead.:grin:
Working with you arms in a STILL AIR glove box.
Tends to make you sweat, a tiny bit in the hot summer months.

--------------------

InvisibleBrainiac
Rogue Scientist
Male

Loc: 與您的女朋 Flag
    #6732810 - 03/31/07 08:42 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

High Efficiency Particulate Air (HEPA) Filters
Custom manufactured to FP's critical specifications, these scanned water resistant micron filters are stocked in six sizes and screen out all airborne contaminants down to .3 microns with a guaranteed efficiency of 99.99%. All of these HEPA filters operate at .8 inches of static pressure. Individually scanned and tested for quality. These filters are used throughout the microbiological industry and by computer manufacturers, nuclear laboratories, photographers, and anywhere else clean air is a must.

I got my hepa form FP.:grin:

--------------------
:Awesketch:

:cool: Fair is Fair :devil:

InvisibleEntheogenicPeace
Scholar
Male

#6733226 - 03/31/07 11:05 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

---

Edited by EntheogenicPeace (12/25/14 07:06 PM)

Offlineflushme
Shroomery OG
Male User Gallery

Loc: Kazakhstan
Re: Need a good HEPA filter... [Re: EntheogenicPeace]
    #6734953 - 04/01/07 02:56 PM (13 years, 9 months ago)

just wonderin, ive been using a still air box with preatty good sucsess. I probably will hook the fan to blow on me i be sweatin like crazy doin all this work lol.
thanks everyone for ansering my questions, because mushbox.com glove box has a fan and its like 130 bucks.! u could get a computer fan for like 10 bucks, just tryin to save some funds. But it looks like ill save more stickin with what i got.:thumbup:

thanks

--------------------
TRUST IN THE FLUSH

Take Salvia Cuttings Successfully

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Shop: Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract, Kratom Powder For Sale   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Edibles   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Unfolding Nature Unfolding Nature: Being in the Implicate Order   PhytoExtractum Kratom Powder for Sale   Amazon ½ Pint Jars, Agar, HEPA Filter, Laminar Flow Hood

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation