Home | Community | Message Board

Out-Grow.com - Mushroom Growing Kits & Supplies
Please support our sponsors.

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Offlinevader
journeyman
Letting the Rye seep instead of mixing it.
    #672957 - 06/11/02 10:52 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

Most rye teks suggest mixing the grain and the water the pressure cooking it. Other teks suggest letting the rye soak/boil in water, then putting the rye in the jars.

What is the difference in these methods. I have beel mixing 200g rye with 175-225ml water and had bad results. The top of the jar is too dry and the bottom is too wet. I also cannot get the right water ratios. Too much water and it doesn't do anything, not enough and it takes a month to colonize.

Well please help me out.

Post Extras: Print Post  Remind Me! Notify Moderator
Offlinelithiumcove
Stranger
Re: Letting the Rye seep instead of mixing it. [Re: vader]
    #673028 - 06/11/02 11:56 AM (14 years, 5 months ago)

When you let it seep, you don't have to worry about exact measurements of the water, because the seeds will take up all the water that they could hold.

Also, after you PC your jars, make sure you shake the jars before you let them cool down to distribute all the water evenly.

Offlinemidas
Loc: dirty south
Re: Letting the Rye seep instead of mixing it. [Re: lithiumcove]
    #673056 - 06/11/02 12:11 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

i have had the same problems

after i soak what is the best way to strain the excess water off and what should i look for to judge the consistency or moisture level

if it is too wet could i just pc longer to try and dry it out?

Offlinevader
journeyman
Re: Letting the Rye seep instead of mixing it. [Re: midas]
    #673076 - 06/11/02 12:26 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I don't think you can cook it longer. All the water goes to the bottom and cooking it longer would dry out the kernels on top. Not to mention it could ruin the grain if it is cooked to long.

I was planning on straining it with something that you would use to strain pasta. Shake it a little then put the wet kernels in the jars. No measuring involved I guess.

OfflineLilMerlin
Life magicapprentice
Loc: Europe.
Re: Letting the Rye seep instead of mixing it. [Re: vader]
    #673111 - 06/11/02 12:52 PM (14 years, 5 months ago)

I used precisely 175-80 gr. of rye and 230 ml (the porportions are those from www.MushMush.com) of water in 850ml jars (almost a quart jar.) The whole ends up being quite wet at the bottom of the jar when you get it out of the PC. But I shake it and the wet grain is evenly distributed afterthat. A few days in the incubator make the grains dryier and everything is fine.

On three jars of Mazatapecs, only one started, in fact, but 3 on 3 jars of GulfCoast started after only four days. I don't know more about the why's that you can deduce yourself. From that time on, I keep transferring grain. Every time I case, I put a lump of colonized grain in a newly sterilized jar. And it colonizes without problems.

Don't forget to shake. And you could also keep them in the terrarium a few days before innoculating. That might help dry up some excess of water before efficiently colonizing with the best results.

Also: I have a friend whose rye seems different, as his jars definitely look wetter than mine with the same proportions of water. However, all his jars of Equadors are colonizing fine (except the ones with contams, of course )

LETTING JARS SOAKING:

I tried to let three jars soak in the same amount of water for 24 hours. They were closed. When I opened them slightly to apply the tin foil before putting them in the PC, some stinky air was expelled from the jar with a nice pffffff sound. Obviously, there was some organic process inthere. From that time on, and especially after pressure cooking, clumps of wet grains remained unshakable, sticken to the bottom of the jar. I didn't harm, but it gave me the impression that it is unuseful and somewhat disturbing as it prevents some grains to loosely move in the jar during shaking.

LilMerlin, with little experience, but happy to be of some help.

--------------------
"Five grams in silent darkness." T. McKenna
Why take more? Take different!

Jump to top. Pages: 1

Amazon Shop for: ½ Pint Jars, Rye Grain

Mushrooms, Mycology and Psychedelics >> Mushroom Cultivation