Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags

Jump to first unread post Pages: < First | < Back | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | Next >
Some of these posts are very old and might contain outdated information. You may wish to search for newer posts instead.
Offlineflukes
Stranger
Re: Warning: disturbing images [Re: idreamofpiggies]
    #7112767 - 06/30/07 09:33 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

idreamofpiggies said:
hey guys, just another quick question. With the stem on a Sub, will it be brittle when first picked or will it be fleshy and bendable?

Thanks for all the help. :thumbup:

Compared to other mushrooms i find them quiet sturdy. They arnt hard to cut through but i know other mushrooms ive picked seem to slice through easily.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
OfflineArtnotwar
Chemical Researcher
Male User Gallery

Re: Warning: disturbing images [Re: flukes]
    #7113819 - 07/01/07 02:26 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

the stems shouldn't snap really easy, like some other lookalikes. the stems usually are more of a woody texture than a watery texture, and should not really snap that easy.

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Until the 20th century, reality was everything humans could touch, smell, see,
and hear.
Since the initial publication of the charged electromagnetic spectrum, humans
learned that what they can touch, smell, see, and hear... is less than one
millionth of reality.
--------------------------------

OfflineMM79
Stranger
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: ID please [Re: Artnotwar]
    #7113880 - 07/01/07 02:50 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

I'm very new to all this. Been reading all your posts and have spent the last 2 weekends hunting. Think I might have found some subs, but would appreciate confirmation of IDs.

I'm pretty sure of the thick stemmed ones (batch 1), but am uncertain of the thin stemmed ones (batch 2). Will be doing spore prints tonight.

Batch 1

Batch 2

Offlineundergrounder
fluffy bunny
 User Gallery

Loc: Sydney Flag
Re: ID please [Re: MM79]
    #7113919 - 07/01/07 03:05 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

MM79 most of them look OK but a few look dodgy, especially the dark stemmed ones.

The three in the bottom row of your bottom pics (with brown stems) look suss.

You should try a spore print, this is the best way to ID mushrooms.

Quote:

Take a clean material you want to print on (fresh typing paper, index cards, wax paper, tin foil, glass slides....), cut a mature cap off the stem as near to the gills as possible with a clean scalpel or knife and place the cap on the printing material gills down. Cover the cap with a jar. Let sit for about 12 hours. Pick up the cap, fold the print an tape the edges or leave it as is and put into a plastic baggie. Label and store in a dark, cold and dry place.

Just use white paper and see what colour it is. Sub prints are purpley and check for blue/greenish tints on the caps of those dark stemmed ones also.

--------------------
:igor: RIP :igor:

Bigger and bolder and rougher and tougher in other words sucka there is no other...
:pinkshroom: :supershroom: :mushroom2: :shroomer: :mushroom2: :supershroom: :pinkshroom:

OfflineArtnotwar
Chemical Researcher
Male User Gallery

Re: Warning: disturbing images [Re: Artnotwar]
    #7113991 - 07/01/07 03:46 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

once again i forgot to take my fuckin camera hunting, but these things are growing in plague proportions, it's getting a little out of hand. I found myself being really fussy with the ones i bent down to grab in the end. Only the best! Now i have to think about drying them out... shit!

--------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Until the 20th century, reality was everything humans could touch, smell, see,
and hear.
Since the initial publication of the charged electromagnetic spectrum, humans
learned that what they can touch, smell, see, and hear... is less than one
millionth of reality.
--------------------------------

OfflineBread
Stranger
Male User Gallery
Re: Warning: disturbing images [Re: Artnotwar]
    #7114049 - 07/01/07 04:21 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Went for a pretty boring hunt yesterday and only got two photos.

I went to Hog's Breath restaurant for dinner the other night and found something interesting on their menu. Anyone trid it? :wink:

OfflineRats_are_Dancin
Odd Child
Male User Gallery

Loc: Melbourne. Victoria
Re: Warning: disturbing images [Re: Bread]
    #7114148 - 07/01/07 06:23 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

MM79
You have P.Subs there brother well only the one's that have bruised blue, the dark brownish stemed one's are not Subs.
As Undergrounder said do a spore print to make sure but you sure do have some chunky Subs there
Good Work :thumbup:

Oh and Bread congrats on winning Pic of the month :yourock:

--------------------
With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever. Always thinking that just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know

OfflineMM79
Stranger

Re: Warning: disturbing images [Re: Rats_are_Dancin]
    #7114202 - 07/01/07 06:57 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks undergrounder and Rats_are_Dancin for the help with IDs. I am doing the spore prints now.

The dark brown ones you refer to in the bottom left pic are the same ones as in the top right pic of batch 2. I thought I saw some blue bruising in those stems. They could just look dark because of the photo angle and light. I will confirm when the spore prints are done.

Cheers

InvisibleDepthToTheCore
JeeBuzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia brah Flag
Re: ID please [Re: MM79]
    #7114254 - 07/01/07 07:28 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

MM79 said:
I'm very new to all this. Been reading all your posts and have spent the last 2 weekends hunting. Think I might have found some subs, but would appreciate confirmation of IDs.

I'm pretty sure of the thick stemmed ones (batch 1), but am uncertain of the thin stemmed ones (batch 2). Will be doing spore prints tonight.

Batch 1

Batch 2

Firstly, nice finds, some of those stems are fuckin huge! They would be potent little fucks.

With the others, i can see bluing in the majority of them, including the suspect subs. As you can see where ive circled, i can see bruising, and the arrow is pointing to the spore deposit which on closer inspection looks to even have a purple tinge which suggests Psilocybe.

Its hard to tell from photos, with some specimens you really need to have them in front of you to get a good idea.

EDIT: For some reason the picture quality degraded when i uploaded it again but if you look in the original pic where ive circled is more clear bruising.

--------------------

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music." - George Carlin

Edited by DepthToTheCore (07/01/07 07:39 AM)

Offlinejiv tree
Stranger
 User Gallery
Re: Warning: disturbing images [Re: Bread]
    #7114416 - 07/01/07 08:51 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

Bread said:
Went for a pretty boring hunt yesterday and only got two photos.

Hey bread that's another great photo! Have captured the beauty of a nice fresh sub right there. Good work:thumbup:

Nice haul intense, you know you're looking good when you can start rejecting subs that aren't up to your high standards! The john west of mushroom hunting?

I have finished drying my first haul with a box setup inspired by Undergrounder:thumbup:

My total haul; fresh mushrooms, juicy and naturally beautiful

Drying in air-tight(ish) box, on trays with some damprid and a fan

Two days later, after a short date with a spice grinder. Ready to store with some desiccant. Was not quite able to get the consistency I wanted, maybe I will look into getting a better grinder.

Looking forward to doing some experiments on dry dosing weight, over the course of the next year :hehehe:

This method seemed to work very well, shrooms came out very dry, like a biscuit, stems would snap when you put pressure on them.

Although it worked well, next time I will probably just put them in a fan-forced oven on damn low with some damprid in there. Probably a little neater and easier with the same result.

A little sad seeing them this way, without their natural freshness and beauty. Time to work on my photography skills so I can have something to remember them by till next year.

Happy shrooming guys

OfflineRats_are_Dancin
Odd Child
Male User Gallery

Re: Warning: disturbing images [Re: jiv tree]
    #7115829 - 07/01/07 05:40 PM (16 years, 8 months ago)

jiv tree
Awesome work there brother :thumbup:
You have taken to shroom hunting Worth aplomb

Went for a hunt last night pulled in 50 juicy P.Subs very happy
will post pics if possible

--------------------
With a bit of luck, his life was ruined forever. Always thinking that just behind some narrow door in all of his favorite bars, men in red woolen shirts are getting incredible kicks from things he'll never know

Offlinejiv tree
Stranger
 User Gallery
    #7117401 - 07/02/07 12:37 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Thanks dude, really enjoying the whole process; hunting, photographing, drying. So much more to this hobby than what I originally thought!

OfflineMM79
Stranger

Re: ID please [Re: DepthToTheCore]
    #7117645 - 07/02/07 01:55 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Quote:

the_notorious said:
Quote:

MM79 said:

Batch 1

Batch 2

Firstly, nice finds, some of those stems are fuckin huge! They would be potent little fucks.

With the others, i can see bluing in the majority of them, including the suspect subs. As you can see where ive circled, i can see bruising, and the arrow is pointing to the spore deposit which on closer inspection looks to even have a purple tinge which suggests Psilocybe.

Its hard to tell from photos, with some specimens you really need to have them in front of you to get a good idea.

EDIT: For some reason the picture quality degraded when i uploaded it again but if you look in the original pic where ive circled is more clear bruising.

Thanks notorious. I can see the bruising you refer to. I compared the spore print from one of my thick stemmed confirmed Subs to that of the "suspect" ones. The colour looks the same to me. Kinda purplish brown.

Based on this and the bruising you identified, I am pretty sure that batch 2 are also subs. Thanks!

Invisibleindica
Male User Gallery

Re: Warning: disturbing images [Re: jiv tree]
    #7117780 - 07/02/07 02:47 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Here is some from a quick hunt we did. (NW Tasmania)

The reason we ripped them early is because it's a heap big popular spot and people are always ripping down there, it's pretty much first in best dressed at this spot (it's real close to my mates house) but you can spend an entire day in the half acre reserve area and still not pick everything. Tihs was the result of about a half hour foriage.

Edited by indica (07/02/07 02:51 AM)

OfflineMM79
Stranger

Re: Warning: disturbing images [Re: indica]
    #7117934 - 07/02/07 04:13 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

wow.. great hunting pics man! Looks like a good haul.

InvisibleDepthToTheCore
JeeBuzz
Male User Gallery

Loc: Australia brah Flag
Re: Warning: disturbing images [Re: MM79]
    #7117970 - 07/02/07 04:47 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

MM79, those spore prints confirm a Psilocybe dude. Im convinced the suspect stem colour is due to environmental factors rather than something else.

xk3m mad finds dude, you need to get yourself a patch that is just yours so you can wait til those fuckers hit maturity :smile:

--------------------

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music." - George Carlin

Invisibleindica
Male User Gallery

Re: Warning: disturbing images [Re: DepthToTheCore]
    #7118063 - 07/02/07 06:05 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

notorious, either way, those shrooms were fucking potent. the night of the hunt i ate about 4 of the small ones and I was GONE. Absolutely blown apart. it was fucking nuts. I'm not too phased about maturity, there's always plenty of years ahead :smile:

Offlineundergrounder
fluffy bunny
 User Gallery

Re: Warning: disturbing images [Re: DepthToTheCore]
    #7118065 - 07/02/07 06:05 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

wow nice finds everyone...

jiv tree i went and bought that same $15 fan from Bunnings heh :smile: fits much better in the box. I now have a setup like yours and all of them but the biggest mofos are cracking dry. You can see my side flaps that are taped down that it also doubles as my crappy glove box :P The only problem is i can't use the box while shrooms are drying so i had to take my latest sub prints for cultivation in the bathroom...

--------------------

Bigger and bolder and rougher and tougher in other words sucka there is no other...
:pinkshroom: :supershroom: :mushroom2: :shroomer: :mushroom2: :supershroom: :pinkshroom:

OfflineRats_are_Dancin
Odd Child
Male User Gallery

Re: Warning: disturbing images [Re: undergrounder]
    #7118196 - 07/02/07 08:13 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

Nice finds xk3m_indica they do look like potent little buggers :thumbup:

Great set-up Undergrounder I have a couple a questions
1. What size Tub are you using? 2. What type of fan are you using?
Im only using a 56 litre Tub and it is barely antiquate same goes for my fan.

--------------------

Offlineundergrounder
fluffy bunny
 User Gallery

#7118375 - 07/02/07 09:38 AM (16 years, 8 months ago)

1. Not sure of the litrage, ill check and edit the post tomorrow.

2. A little sunbeam (i think) heater for $15 from Bunnings, i knicked the idea from jiv tree because my original fan was too big:

I only use the 'fan' option i don't use heat. The back needs to be a little away from the side of the tub so it can suck in air, or it barely blows.

Those baskets are good because there's total airflow around the shrooms and the damp-rid is the key because it makes it 0% humidity. When i open the lid after its been drying, the air inside is noticably dry and warm.

I just took the shrooms out, I don't know what is an adequate time, but after 48 hours they're rock hard and crumble when you handle em. No desiccant chamber needed, only 3 or 4 of the larger ones are still a little bendy.

P.S i took about 20 little silica gel packs from inside tuppaware containers in a $2 shop. The same place i got the baskets. :tongue:

--------------------

Jump to top Pages: < First | < Back | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | Next >

Shop: PhytoExtractum Buy Bali Kratom Powder   Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   MagicBag.co All-In-One Bags That Don't Suck   Bridgetown Botanicals CBD Concentrates   North Spore North Spore Mushroom Grow Kits & Cultivation Supplies   Left Coast Kratom Buy Kratom Extract   Mushroom-Hut Substrate Bags