Home | Community | Message Board

This site includes paid links. Please support our sponsors.

Welcome to the Shroomery Message Board! You are experiencing a small sample of what the site has to offer. Please login or register to post messages and view our exclusive members-only content. You'll gain access to additional forums, file attachments, board customizations, encrypted private messages, and much more!

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag

Jump to first unread post Pages: 1
OfflineWronguy

The real killer drugs
    #6712380 - 03/26/07 09:51 AM (17 years, 6 days ago)

http://www.registerguard.com/news/2007/03/25/ed.edit.booze.jmg.0325.p1.php?section=opinion

The real killer drugs

What if the system used for classifying dangerous drugs evaluated the actual risk a given drug poses to society? Would it change the ranking of dangerous drugs used by governments and law enforcement agencies?

A British research team says that it would, principally because two legal drugs - alcohol and tobacco - would join familiar illegal substances on the list of the most dangerous drugs. Professor David Nutt, a psychopharmacologist at Britain's Bristol University, and colleagues proposed a new framework for the classification of harmful substances that makes a lot of sense.

Nutt's team asked experts to evaluate drugs using three criteria: the physical harm to the user, the drug's potential for addiction and the impact on society of drug use. Using those criteria, alcohol and tobacco rank in the top 10 most dangerous substances.

The ratings process involved 29 psychiatrists specializing in addiction and 16 other experts with backgrounds in chemistry, pharmacology, psychiatry, forensics, police and legal services. They assigned scores to 20 different drugs, including heroin, cocaine, amphetamines, Ecstacy and LSD.

The results, published in the British medical journal Lancet, offer an opportunity to view alcohol and tobacco in a more realistic social context - as drugs, alongside other harmful drugs. The comparison raises interesting questions for policy makers. Heroin and cocaine topped the most-dangerous list, followed by barbiturates and street methadone. At the No. 5 position was alcohol, and tobacco was ranked as the ninth most harmful, just behind amphetamines. Marijuana placed 11th, LSD 14th and Ecstasy finished 18th.

Professor Nutt, who also serves on the British Advisory Council on Misuse of Drugs, says his study should prompt a fresh look at drug classification and at the legal penalties for specific drug violations.

Britain's counterparts in the United States should join the debate. U.S. law, for example, ridiculously lists marijuana on Schedule I of the Controlled Substances Act, along with heroin, cocaine and metham- phetamine.

Using Nutt's analysis, imagine how marijuana would rank in terms of relative harmfulness next to tobacco (435,000 deaths in 2000; 18.1 percent of total U.S. deaths that year) or alcohol (85,000 deaths in 2000; 3.5 percent of total deaths)?

Alcohol-related motor vehicle crashes kill someone every 31 minutes and injure someone every two minutes in the United States, according to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. How's that for harm?

Credible drug policy should be evidence-based, for legal and illegal drugs. The British study offers eye-opening evidence that, compared with illegal drugs, the harm caused by alcohol and tobacco has been minimized or ignored by policy makers on both sides of the Atlantic.

Extras: Filter Print Post Top
InvisibleFoURtWeNTy420
Infinite Conciousness
Male User Gallery

Loc: Miami
Re: The real killer drugs [Re: Wronguy]
    #6713672 - 03/26/07 05:23 PM (17 years, 6 days ago)

Im still not fully satisfied i dont believe marijuana belongs in 11th place.......something less than that would be right....if tobacco is in 9th place.......marijuana shouldnt be only 2 places away

--------------------
---------------------
I support drug testing, which drug should i test today?

OfflineSeussA
Error: divide byzero

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Caribbean
Re: The real killer drugs [Re: FoURtWeNTy420]
    #6715736 - 03/27/07 06:23 AM (17 years, 6 days ago)

> Im still not fully satisfied i dont believe marijuana belongs in 11th place

Quote:

using three criteria: the physical harm to the user, the drug's potential for addiction and the impact on society of drug use.

The "physical harm to the user" could be near zero if eaten, but much higher when smoked. Smoking anything is harmful, even cannabis.

The "potential for addiction" with cannabis is near zero. It can be habit forming, but I have never heard anybody offer to give a blow job for a quick hit of ganja, so to speak.

Thus, I can only assume it ranked where it did based upon the "impact on society" whatever that would be. Why they included this metric, I don't know. Any impact on society is going to be directly related to the drugs physical harm to the user and the drugs potential for addiction. Including an "impact on society" is both partially redundant and a complete guess that invalidates the list as a whole.

> something less than that would be right...

I would agree... they guessed wrong.

--------------------
Just another spore in the wind.

InvisibleWhiskeyClone
Not here
Male User Gallery

Loc: Longitudinal Center of Canada ...
Re: The real killer drugs [Re: Seuss]
    #6716831 - 03/27/07 03:12 PM (17 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:

The "potential for addiction" with cannabis is near zero. It can be habit forming, but I have never heard anybody offer to give a blow job for a quick hit of ganja, so to speak.

Is this our new definition for addiction? "Something for which a person would offer to give a blowjob?"

I don't really buy the idea that cannabis offers zero potential for addiction. I know more than one person who probably couldn't quit smoking weed to save their lives.

...If they ever tried to quit, that is.

--------------------
Welcome evermore to gods and men is the self-helping man.  For him all doors are flung wide: him all tongues greet, all honors crown, all eyes follow with desire.  Our love goes out to him and embraces him, because he did not need it.

~ R.W. Emerson, "Self-Reliance"

:heartpump:

Offlinejpuff
Stranger
    #6717148 - 03/27/07 04:58 PM (17 years, 5 days ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
The "physical harm to the user" could be near zero if eaten, but much higher when smoked. Smoking anything is harmful, even cannabis.

The worst thing that'll happen to you is you'll get a sore throat, and maybe some minor chest discomfort :\. No cancer, no bronchitis, no emphysema, no pnuemonia, no form of COPD, no nothing :P.

Quote:

Seuss said:

Agreed, I would liken it's potential for addiction to that of television.

OfflineTheseDrugs
Stranger
Male
Loc: Florida, Indian River Cou...
Re: The real killer drugs [Re: jpuff]
    #6721430 - 03/28/07 06:02 PM (17 years, 4 days ago)

Quote:

jpuff said:
Quote:

Seuss said:

The worst thing that'll happen to you is you'll get a sore throat, and maybe some minor chest discomfort :\. No cancer, no bronchitis, no emphysema, no pnuemonia, no form of COPD, no nothing :P.

Quote:

Seuss said:

The worst thing that can happen is some dick smokes a joint and impairs his driving or maby he smokes a joint laced with PCP. Which does happen. Every think of that.

Heroin is also completely harmless to the body and its organs but that doesn't make it harmless.

Alcohol is good for you body, it doesn't make it harmless.

You guys are not scientist. and your just guessing why the real scientist numbered it the way they did, Which I'm sure they have a very good reason for it. one that is based on facts.

InvisibleDiploidM
Cuban

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Rabbit Hole
    #6721730 - 03/28/07 07:22 PM (17 years, 4 days ago)

The "physical harm to the user" could be near zero if eaten

Or vapped. Well, nearly zero.

--------------------
Republican Values:

1) You can't get married to your spouse who is the same sex as you.
2) You can't have an abortion no matter how much you don't want a child.
3) You can't have a certain plant in your possession or you'll get locked up with a rapist and a murderer.

4) We need a smaller, less-intrusive government.

OfflineOjom
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Re: The real killer drugs [Re: TheseDrugs]
    #6723876 - 03/29/07 09:47 AM (17 years, 3 days ago)

Quote:

TheseDrugs said:
Quote:

jpuff said:
Quote:

Seuss said:

Quote:

Seuss said:

The worst thing that can happen is some dick smokes a joint and impairs his driving or maby he smokes a joint laced with PCP. Which does happen. Every think of that.

Heroin is also completely harmless to the body and its organs but that doesn't make it harmless.

Alcohol is good for you body, it doesn't make it harmless.

You guys are not scientist. and your just guessing why the real scientist numbered it the way they did, Which I'm sure they have a very good reason for it. one that is based on facts.

Alcohol is good for your body? Why haven't you been banned yet for the troll that you are?

Invisiblebadchad
Mad Scientist

#6724576 - 03/29/07 01:22 PM (17 years, 3 days ago)

Quote:

Seuss said:
Any impact on society is going to be directly related to the drugs physical harm to the user and the drugs potential for addiction. Including an "impact on society" is both partially redundant and a complete guess that invalidates the list as a whole.

Not necessarily. Physical harm and potential for addiction affect the individual user. It isn't until the addict starts stealing from his/her neighbors that they begin to "harm scoiety".

Also, there are data available on these things rather than being a "complete guess". For instance, we have a decent idea of how many people are killed by drunk drivers each year.

We know that the one of the preferred routes of heroin administration is through injection. We have a good idea of the healthcare costs the accumulate through treating needle borne diseases. So we can measure these things, or make an educated guess. You said yourself, "no one sucks dick for marijuana". Thus, you can imagine how it's impact on society is relatively low.

--------------------
...the whole experience is (and is as) a profound piece of knowledge.  It is an indellible experience; it is forever known.  I have known myself in a way I doubt I would have ever occurred except as it did.

Smith, P.  Bull. Menninger Clinic (1959) 23:20-27; p. 27.

...most subjects find the experience valuable, some find it frightening, and many say that is it uniquely lovely.

Osmond, H.  Annals, NY Acad Science (1957) 66:418-434; p.436

OfflinePopTop
I'll cut yourfeet!!

Re: The real killer drugs [Re: badchad]
    #6724862 - 03/29/07 02:49 PM (17 years, 3 days ago)

"Harm to society" should not be included because we have no real way of telling the difference between the harm caused by the drug, and the harm caused by the drug war/ the drug's illegality.

--------------------
Please be careful when picking up Poptops with hankys. A Poptop can cut a Hanky.

OfflineOatman2000
-=Outa Space=-
Male User Gallery

Folding@home Statistics
Loc: Planetary Nebula
Re: The real killer drugs [Re: PopTop]
    #6725317 - 03/29/07 04:22 PM (17 years, 3 days ago)

i would say i am close to addicted to marijuana.

it's an expensive habbit, and i HATE it when i am out!

GAAH!

--------------------
Spawning to COIR
:thumbup:  My Chocolate Recipe
WBS QUART SPAWN JAR PREPERATION
----------------------------

4-PO-DMT; 4-phosphoryloxy-N,N-dimethltryptamine

OfflineROX
Traveling...
Male

Loc: Croatia
Re: The real killer drugs [Re: Oatman2000]
    #6729174 - 03/30/07 06:17 PM (17 years, 2 days ago)

LSD 14, MDMA 18? Bullshit.

--------------------
~~Goa and psychedelic trance, psychedelic chillout mixes >>> http://www.rox-unreal.net/ <<<

Jump to top Pages: 1

Shop: Kraken Kratom Red Vein Kratom   Bridgetown Botanicals Bridgetown Botanicals   Myyco.com Golden Teacher Liquid Culture For Sale   Original Sensible Seeds Autoflowering Cannabis Seeds   North Spore Injection Grain Bag